• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Kart Simulator Hardware - Cockpit Setups

Started by SimRacer, June 21, 2011, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimRacer

June 21, 2011, 07:02:42 PM Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:07:33 AM by SimRacer
Hi,

I thought would share some details on a hardware project for my simulator setups. Feel free to add details of your own.

I just bought a chassis and I am going to turn it into a setup for kart and open wheel style sims. I will mod it to run from a bottom mounted G27/G25 turning the steering shaft. At this stage I plan to make the pedals work with a hall effect sensor input. I will also adapt a shifter and clutch system. I will post more images and build details as I progress for anyone interested.

Timba

woah, nice project you got there! can't wait till it's done :p
                                                                                     "With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SimRacer

June 22, 2011, 01:55:22 PM #2 Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:52:51 AM by SimRacer
Thanks Timba!

If there are others that are into the hardware side of things please post and show us what you have been building!

Stark

JP- Racing

You must always believe you will become the best, but you must never believe you have done so. - Juan Manuel Fangio

Timba

always wanted a rig like that.. after broked my G27, been thinking some fresh stuff, so anyone knows is this fanatec's GT3 RS wheel worth of money?
also been thinking to get 2 new monitors, same one's im using now, so could do that 3-monitor thing :p
and aaalso if im getting these things, frex shift+ shifter would be useful too  :)
                                                                                     "With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SimRacer

I read a lot of bad reviews from users about the GT3 RS wheels. Problems with the force feedback playing up. The new Thrustmaster TS 500 looks like the best wheel on the market at the moment.

Timba

well I have to forget that TS 500 cuz it's around 500euros here in Finland, too much for me  :-\

was thinking if I get G27 again, then that chilicoke's adapter (guess u got it too?) and some nice sparco or momo wheel :p

anyways it's summer, my time goes mainly with riding motocross so this simracing sh*t will happen in fall, if it happens  :D

but keep doing that kart rig thing!  :)

SimRacer

I used to have the chillicoke adapter, it works great. I now have a MOMO quick release system.

The G27 is probably still the best value for money.

Timba

tell me more about this momo quick release thing,

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=18791&cat=1929&page=1

is this one right for G27 then? that adapter fits with G27?

monaco98

Here is our Sim almost finished at our KARTSHOP. as our local track in it which we are just finishing. have a leaderboard with it like on top gear where you get your fastest time put up on the board for people to see and beat...

SimRacer

July 03, 2011, 01:02:43 PM #10 Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:06:29 PM by SimRacer
Cool! Looks awesome!

I noticed you mounted the G27 up near the wheel. I am taking a different route, running the steering shaft all the way through the chassis, elevating the kart and mounting it underneath. Here is a pic of the steering gear so far. I will trim the shaft down once I have the G27 in place. Im not sure how well it will work out but worth a try I guess.

Bacchulum

As long as you can effectively remove any play or flex, it should work fine. ;)

SimRacer

July 05, 2011, 10:24:11 AM #12 Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:25:45 AM by SimRacer
Quote from: Bacchulum on July 05, 2011, 09:15:08 AM
As long as you can effectively remove any play or flex, it should work fine. ;)

There will be zero flex with the setup I have designed. It will use the standard kart steering shaft guides and the G27 will be hard mounted. That shaft is also solid, not hollow. Once I have it setup I will post a pic.

splunk4u01

An early test :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhECLw3EFbg

For now I just bolted my old shifter kart steering wheel to it.

PiBoSo

Quote from: splunk4u01 on July 20, 2011, 04:27:08 PM
An early test :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhECLw3EFbg

For now I just bolted my old shifter kart steering wheel to it.

Awesome! Thank you for the video.
Do not hesitate to ask for code improvements, if needed.