• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:29:17 AM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Grip on the rear

Started by GhostriderPl, May 29, 2011, 10:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostriderPl

everything soft.....40mm soft rear axle...preasure on 0.80.....the rest is secret because
everyone must find the right setup by himself......like to help but i work hard on it (and i work 14 hours a day and have not much time for this........Work and Races....and at time to time KRP)  ;)
in real it works a little bit different......when i would drive with this setup in real then i would have to much grip even on ice  ;) one problem for me is that the track doesnt change....in real i drive 50mm hard axle and everything stiff (not always but most time) national races are different than world championships (national=normal grip wc=lot of grip)

dont know if you understand and how i can say what i want because my english isnt very good and i dont know if i write exactly what i want to say  ;)
If you want to Finish First you have to Finish First!

GhostriderPl

June 08, 2011, 10:39:53 PM #46 Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:41:31 PM by GhostriderPl
Yes...i drive as soft as i can to get grip....when i change the rear axle to 50mm (even soft) then i lost the grip on the rear and for me its not driveable.....and the problem is only on the rear...on the front i can play with the setup to get what i want...on the rear i MUST drive the settings to drive "normal"......

On a WC i dont can drive with this settings because i would have so much grip that i cant keep the steering wheel because it would purpoising (right word?) so much that it broke my hands  ;)  on two wheels in every corner....i drive on 40mm axle only in the rain and we have alot of more different 50mm axels (soft, harder, harder harder.....) but thats not important.....important is that this is MY opinion....other drivers say that everythings allright....but i compare it to my races and in real life i dont have any problems with te grip..when i drive on soft Bridgestones then i have much grip in every situation even when is cold outside.......i must do alot to have less grip in real life

T.J. Koyen

Ghostrider,

I think it must be taken into consideration the levels of grip in the sim. Like you said, the conditions you drive in require a setup that is a certain way to achieve certain handling. I typically do the same thing as you do when there's lots of grip in the track. But you have to think of it in terms of the inside rear wheel lifting rather than the amount of grip you have. The main thing is that you are trying to get the inside rear to lift so that you can corner. In reality, a soft axle can do this or a hard axle can do this, but it is fully dependent on the track conditions. The track's grip level dictates what axle you use obviously.

For example, sometimes a stiff axle (which generates a stable, quick lift of the inside rear in high grip conditions) can make the kart too free if you are getting too quick of a lift on turn-in. In this instance, a soft axle could slow that lift down and make it so you don't lose traction and have to counter-steer mid-corner. That is an instance where a soft axle would give more "grip".

Sometimes if you are over-flexing the soft axle, it will cause you to have oversteer because you are getting too much lift and flex and not enough side bite because you have less of a "spring-rate" on the outside rear tire (less force on the outside rear because of the softer axle absorbing some weight transfer). If you put a stiff axle in, it'll take away some of that flex and settle the rear down, making it feel like you have more "grip" because you aren't overloading the outside rear tire and you are generating enough sidebite because of the increased "spring-rate" so you take away oversteer.

So in summary, I believe that the sim uses fairly low grip levels, which makes your changes contrary to what you experience in real-life Ghostrider.
Merlin/Parilla
Team MerlinUSA Factory Driver
www.merlinusa.com
www.oktanevisual.com
www.koyen.net

GhostriderPl

exactly know what you mean....but....when piboso wants to have requests of us than everyone makes his own  ;)

and in MY OPINION the grip on the rear is to less....can live with that but thats my opinion....  ;D

GhostriderPl

In my opinion lots of racing sims have this problem.....when i go on the apex on the gas then the rear is sliding and i steer with the gas....but it is so that when you put the gas then your weight goes to the rear and makes it more stabile.....in a kart most of the time the rear seems "light weight" when you drive in to a corner not at the exit.....sorry when you can missunderstand some things but in english for me its quite difficult to say what i want  ;)

T.J. Koyen

Ghost,

I get what you're saying (I think  :P ). I agree that many sim games get the grip levels wrong. The thing about karting is that the circuit rubbers up SO quickly throughout the weekend that without the technology of a dynamic track in-game (track rubbers in in-game), it's really hard to replicate real grip levels.

Which is unfortunate, because half the battle in karting is adapting to the track every time you go out.
Merlin/Parilla
Team MerlinUSA Factory Driver
www.merlinusa.com
www.oktanevisual.com
www.koyen.net

GhostriderPl

When a sim will be called a sim than there must be a change in grip level because thats a very impotant thing......we all talk about problems, not because we dont respekt the work of piboso...we do it because we want to make the game better....not today not tomorrow but in the future.....i am proud of piboso because i all the years i wait for THIS game  ;)

And its possible to do it (with the Grip).....i long time drive GTR2 in Races and there you feel the changes....i know that its hard to do this but i talk about it because its not impossible  ;)

will wait what changes in the future...and only when piboso KNOWS about problems he can fix it sometime