• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

.dds textures, and other wishes

Started by berzingue, November 10, 2014, 12:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berzingue

November 10, 2014, 12:56:37 PM Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:07:33 PM by berzingue
Here is my wishlist for a next version :

- dds. texture file support (stop use .tga ! no one simulator use it)
- day/night cycle
- visualisation of dusk and night in Mapview
- self illumination, to have (animated) lights on buildings during night
- Better shader for tree leaves (white shape around leaves is not realistic)
- A way to create skidmarks, realistic as Iracing or Assetto corsa

....a Track editor with Pointclouds from LIDAR support ?

and optional :

- racing against AI
- Animated pitstops (for WRS)

Thanks !!

PiBoSo

Quote from: berzingue on November 10, 2014, 12:56:37 PM

- day/night cycle

and optional :

- racing against AI

Thanks !!

- Why should KRP be like other simulators? KRP is better  ;)
- There are no plans for full day / night cycle
- Ok
- Ok
- Ok
- How should skidmarks be created? Do you know that you can blend a second texture with a second UV to create marks?

berzingue

Hi Piboso,

sure KRP is the best simulator !

About dds :
1) this is a lighter format than .tga or .png. Track files will be lighters, and it can save framerate a little bit if needed.
2) it will be easier and faster to convert tracks from others simulators, because it will be same format with textures...

About skidmarks,I know there is a secondary channel, I don't know if we can edit specular on it ? I have to test...

Thanks for validation about others points !

PiBoSo

Quote from: berzingue on November 10, 2014, 02:57:10 PM
Hi Piboso,

sure KRP is the best simulator !

About dds :
1) this is a lighter format than .tga or .png. Track files will be lighters, and it can save framerate a little bit if needed.
2) it will be easier and faster to convert tracks from others simulators, because it will be same format with textures...

About skidmarks,I know there is a secondary channel, I don't know if we can edit specular on it ? I have to test...

Thanks for validation about others points !

1) TGA and BMP are losslessly compressed in the MAP file. So not much space is wasted. At load time, they are automatically converted to DDS to save video memory and performances, but it's also possible to load them uncompressed, for much better rendering quality.
2) It may be a good idea to add support for DDS in the exporter, to make conversions easier.

Skidmarks don't have a dedicated shader.

Cory_Hayes

Quote from: PiBoSo on November 10, 2014, 01:31:16 PM
Quote from: berzingue on November 10, 2014, 12:56:37 PM

- day/night cycle

and optional :

- racing against AI

Thanks !!

- Why should KRP be like other simulators? KRP is better  ;)
- There are no plans for full day / night cycle
- Ok
- Ok
- Ok
- How should skidmarks be created? Do you know that you can blend a second texture with a second UV to create marks?

I think iRacing is probably statistically the best simulator ;)
But good try ;)

Birel-Rotax 42

iRacing uses .tga for the paint files Cory. Good try, but PiBoSo is right on this one. rFactor sucks and it uses .dds files. KRP doesn't suck and it uses .tga. Coincidence? I think not...

Cory_Hayes

Yes, but iRacing is better than KRP ;) Good try on that one Corrie, problem? #340 blaze it

PiBoSo

Quote from: Cory_Hayes on November 10, 2014, 03:31:16 PM
Yes, but iRacing is better than KRP ;) Good try on that one Corrie, problem? #340 blaze it

KRP is better than simulators using DDS, that's the point.
Can't you accept a good burn when you get one?  :P

http://www.youtube.com/v/mVgXGw_XhRQ

Cory_Hayes

I will except a good kart game when I get one ;)
Burn ;D ;D ;D

Robby_21

#cory2k14 and yeah Iracing Is so much better tbh... I mean you can catch wheels on that  :-*
Records: xXRobby707Xx - Forum & Game: Robby_21

Cory_Hayes

Birel-Rotax 42

Quote from: Robby_21 on November 10, 2014, 03:58:17 PM
#cory2k14 and yeah Iracing Is so much better tbh... I mean you can catch wheels on that  :-*
iRacing also has a dev team of 400 and a budget well over $10 million/year. Stop being a troll, because nobody wants to hear it. PiBoSo is doing a better job creating a sim than you are, Robby.

Cory_Hayes

+ Textures have  nothing to do with Physics. That is why, there are many other better games than KRP.
+ Rob obviously doesn't have the knowledge to make a game, but I think, if he had the appropriate files to work with, he could make a more realistic kart than what is in the game right now ( No offense PiBoSo, it is kind of true,)
+ #340

...PiBoSo...have you ever driven a kart in real life?

Cory_Hayes

Quote from: DRkarter97 on November 10, 2014, 04:55:02 PM
Quote from: Cory_Hayes on November 10, 2014, 04:41:08 PM
+ Textures have  nothing to do with Physics. That is why, there are many other better games than KRP.
+ Rob obviously doesn't have the knowledge to make a game, but I think, if he had the appropriate files to work with, he could make a more realistic kart than what is in the game right now ( No offense PiBoSo, it is kind of true,)
+ #340

...PiBoSo...have you ever driven a kart in real life?

Gonna have to agree hear you can have the highest quality texture format it doesn't matter. Kart racing pro as a kart sim is the best but as a game is flawed the physics are not fully accurate and the graphics themselves as a whole are not to par of other games. Piboso needs to focus on improving physics net code and graphics in general to create a game that can compete with other sims on the market and other sims coming out.

That being said, I think everyone can agree that the Net code is the most important thing at this point in time ( as stated many times in the past ).

Birel-Rotax 42

The reason the graphics on add-on tracks isn't up to par with other games is because modders don't understand shaders. I'll show an example when I get home.