• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:15:57 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Daytona Sandown UK Track (WIP)

Started by Ozzy_UK, July 09, 2014, 06:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzy_UK

Ozzy_UK

I really want to share more updates with you guys, I have been super busy building more environmental assets over this week.
Updating everything I can and remodelling anything that I can improve on.
Finding time is always the hardest bit with a 50hr plus a week job, 3 kids and a super busy wife!

Things are definitely going in the right direction though!

We have a track with kerbs (albeit flat geometry at the moment), and it's all about 12,000 poly's.
We also have the topology mapped out for height ready to deform the track over.

Hopefully I'll have some images for you guys next week!

For those of you in the UK, enjoy your long weekend!

Ozzy_UK

Wanted to share some updated track side assets I built over the weekend...

Does anyone know what the maximum texture size is, and how larger textures impact performance?

Looking forward to your feedback as I haven't done any modelling/texturing since back in 2014...

Birel-Rotax 42

Looks great! Generally textures impact the performance when you increase the size. Upping the dimensions by a power of 2 means there are 4 times more pixels to be calculated. While I don't have any empirical data, my general rule for texture sizes are "big enough". If it's a small object, don't do a 4K texture on it.

Ozzy_UK

Thanks, we are used to working more with Unity/Unreal/Frostbite so 16k textures are pretty common. 4k for small objects is pretty normal with them.

I don't know what the limitations are on the KRP engine...

Birel-Rotax 42

May 08, 2018, 03:26:21 PM #50 Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:30:41 PM by Birel-Rotax 42
More of an optimization thing. I'm pretty sure that I've done 16384x16384 textures for kart skins back when the template had all body parts on the same template, but you don't get much of a difference once you go past 4096x4096. Why use additional resources if you don't have to? Not everyone has a great computer (and sometimes it makes optimization difficult). I've always strive to be able to run the track on a laptop, even if I'm getting 200+ fps on the development PC. If you are using atlases/packing multiple textures onto the same image, yes - 8k or 16k may be reasonable. However, if you are doing single textures (for example the GoPro logo) you will not need to use a 4k resolution image. While the amount of collidalble objects is usually the main culprit for low framerates, your texture size may be a factor in low framerates.

As of now, since nobody has tested the track, we can't be certain. I've created tracks that are 150k+ polygons but did not have huge collision calculations, so they ran well on low end systems.

Edit: after reading through the thread again, Lauzzzn said that 4096 is the max texture size. I can check that later today, but that might be the maximum size.

Ozzy_UK

May 08, 2018, 07:58:44 PM #51 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:35:24 AM by Ozzy_UK
Cool, thanks for confirming...
Most assets are at 4096 square but might half that for stuff like the go-pro sign...

The lamp posts have detail down to the stitching on the Daytona protector pads... maybe a bit OTt but I am a perfectionist!

I think track poly count won’t be too bad, all our dev PCs are Dual GTX 970’s or single GTX1080TI’s so we are used to working back from that! Lol.

Most of these are sub 500 poly’s per item. (Lamp post with 4 lights, and timing hut are under 600...)

Our optimised track mesh is about 20,000 polys with flat curbs, including the surrounding ground. Just the track is about 10,000.
We were going to do true geometry kerbs but I read a thread about them causing spins off throttle? Is that fixed?

Birel-Rotax 42

I can make a short write-up. I was the one who found the issue and I was able to solve it and still keep the 3d kerbs! Will work on it ASAP!

It sounds like you're keeping the track in the realm of reasonability. Looks good so far, I know that myself and the SKM team are working on stuff and are anxiously waiting to see if we can push the polygon count to make everything more realistic.

Ozzy_UK

Just to let you guys know now that Battlefield 5 is out the door we have a bit more time over Christmas to work on this!

We hope to have something playable by Christmas...
Also hoping to port to UE4 for Kart Kraft too (which a friend of mine is working on)

Hopefully updates soon!

Hooves

Ozzy, My friend and I are working on a track and seem to be in the exact same point in out project as you are.  WE are having issues using 3DMAX 2015, so have gone back to 2008.  The site everyone references for pointers and tools seems to be down for good.  We would ABSOLUTELY LOVE for a karting to game to come out on UE4.  but until then we are struggling to get our track in KRP.  Have you got yours in game?  We cant even get that far.

Cory_Hayes

engineered4speed

Hi, did you manage to get something playable in the end?