• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Kart seat placement, CRG Tomahawk 2008, Tillett T11 XL

Started by Avi, October 16, 2013, 07:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

Dear karters, a bit of your experience and wisdom is needed...
I'm trying to install the Tillett seat for my kart. The seat that came with the kart was a T5 size S and was already offset by one and a half centimeters. I don't have a problem adjusting the left seat mount but the right seat mount just won't move no matter what I do to it. I don't want to damage anything so I'm posting here. If I don't adjust the right seat mount then the seat will be mounted offset to the left by three centimeters, is that acceptable? Am I supposed to fiddle with the right seat mount?
Thank you for reading

Clova414

that's fine as long as you're comfortable sitting in it... the only really important thing is weight distribution and for that you'd have to check it on scales... should be 56-58 rear weight, and close to even side to side...

Avi

That's the thing, I don't feel that good with this offset. How much force am I supposed to use in this process? Am I supposed to get like a 4 ft cheater bar and yank it to where I want it to be like these guys do but on the right hand mount?

If you notice on the comments of that video, there's a comment by Steve Tillett from five years ago about how good the work these two guys are doing.

Avi

I saw this picture on the Sodi Kart manual, their instructions are to adjust the left seat mount but they don't say a word on adjusting the right seat mount, that's the same in the seat install article, I'm starting to think I'm not supposed to adjust the right seat mount... I'll give Tillett a call in a while and see what they have to say about it

Clova414

keep in mind that when you're driving it feels a lot different than when you're just sitting in it in a garage or something... but yes I've often seen people use bent axles that they keep around for this purpose exactly... but be careful when bending it you can stress the support to the point where it cracks the weld...

Avi

OK, after talking to Steve Tillett, first I must say he was unbelievably available to assist me, I was told that the right seat mount is usually left untouched and the left seat offset is there on purpose to balance the weight of the engine that's on the right side of the kart. He also told me that if I want to pray that seat stays apart to make room for the larger seat then a simple car jack does the job gently and accurately.
Problem solved :)