• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:44 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Rolling starts

Started by PiBoSo, September 02, 2012, 12:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

September 02, 2012, 12:40:32 PM Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:56:54 PM by PiBoSo
Do you have suggestions to improve the rolling starts?
Some ideas:
1) only the leader has a max speed, the others can go any speed ( unless they overtake the leader )
2) those that go too slow ( or even stop ) don't get a time penalty or a DSQ, but must go to the back of the field

There could be a penalty if you don't stay close enough to the kart in front, but what happens if someone starts to run away like a maniac?
Also: if a kart goes too slow or stops, what should the others do? Overtake it?

The plan is also to add some info on screen, including a warning when approacing corridors.

James Beer

maybe have it so few the last few corners there is a speed limit the same limit as the corridors so people dont accidently forget to slow down when going into corridors, this would also mean that the karts are more bunched which will make a good start to the race,

Schwoni

different start types especially for dedicated servers:

- rolling start like now.
- Indianapolis start, the leader is like pace car, no speed limit.
- only the leader has a max speed, the others can go any speed ( unless they overtake the leader )
- those that go too slow ( or even stop ) don't get a time penalty or a DSQ, but must go to the back of the field, also if someone spin in formation lap.
- Le mans start? we do often in real for fun, but no idea how to realise here.^^
- standing start and editable warm up time ( that we don`t have to change kart.ini`s)

Serega

September 02, 2012, 06:10:09 PM #3 Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:11:58 PM by Serega
Was a situation where I am after crossing the yellow line a little ahead of the racer, who has qualified better than me and I was given a 10 second penalty seems - it killed my chances to fight. Better to give a warning that I missed in this lap opponent. I hope for a clear translation from google :)

Stark

JP- Racing

You must always believe you will become the best, but you must never believe you have done so. - Juan Manuel Fangio

Schwoni

James Beer

le mans start would be good but we cant control the driver so we couldnt run to the kart, so it would be like the normal grid bit sideways

Schwoni

no, as u see animation of driver is no problem for piboso.

Aritz

Quote from: PiBoSo on September 02, 2012, 12:40:32 PM
Some ideas:
1) only the leader has a max speed, the others can go any speed ( unless they overtake the leader )
2) those that go too slow ( or even stop ) don't get a time penalty or a DSQ, but must go to the back of the field

There could be a penalty if you don't stay close enough to the kart in front, but what happens if someone starts to run away like a maniac?

The plan is also to add some info on screen, including a warning when approacing corridors.

+1 to "only the leader has a max speed". It is quite usual that one pilot start his rolling start late, then he catches the rest of the pilots driving fast
+1 to no penalty for the stopped karts.

Yes, the kart which don't follow the kart in front (only when the first yellow line is past, the line 200m before the finishline) should be punished, but only him! The rest are not guilty at all. So if someone is not close enough, the pilots who overtake this one, shouldn't be punished either. There has to be a minimum distance to be able to do that but if the kart in front of you suddenly stops, how will be the game able to know when is a correct overtake or not?

I didn't watch many races but the marshalls are not the devil... they only punish the really bad behaviour. The game should be more flexible, so this thread is very important :)

As personal suggestion, I will add the standing start as an option. I've seen regional races with this start even for not KZ2 karts, and they are very fun, with pilots jumping in their seat for a better aceleration (the kart loses its weight for a second and the centrifugal clutch doesn't suffer as much). In KRP, will be a online racing stimulator  :P

Serega

The idea with le mans start useless. Why distract Piboso to such nonsense? Better take time to let the refinement of physics, release telemetry, tracks and other things. Anything not that ...

LauZzZn

when the lights ar green, there shouldnt be a "speedlimit" before you cross the line. when the lights shift to green you should can drive as fast as you want
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

PiBoSo

Quote from: Aritz on September 03, 2012, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: PiBoSo on September 02, 2012, 12:40:32 PM
Some ideas:

+1 to "only the leader has a max speed". It is quite usual that one pilot start his rolling start late, then he catches the rest of the pilots driving fast
+1 to no penalty for the stopped karts.

Yes, the kart which don't follow the kart in front (only when the first yellow line is past, the line 200m before the finishline) should be punished, but only him! The rest are not guilty at all. So if someone is not close enough, the pilots who overtake this one, shouldn't be punished either. There has to be a minimum distance to be able to do that but if the kart in front of you suddenly stops, how will be the game able to know when is a correct overtake or not?

I didn't watch many races but the marshalls are not the devil... they only punish the really bad behaviour. The game should be more flexible, so this thread is very important :)

As personal suggestion, I will add the standing start as an option. I've seen regional races with this start even for not KZ2 karts, and they are very fun, with pilots jumping in their seat for a better aceleration (the kart loses its weight for a second and the centrifugal clutch doesn't suffer as much). In KRP, will be a online racing stimulator  :P

Thank you for the message.

Aritz

lol, I made a mistake... will = would

"I would add"

PiBoSo

Quote from: LauZzZn on September 03, 2012, 04:19:20 PM
when the lights ar green, there shouldnt be a "speedlimit" before you cross the line. when the lights shift to green you should can drive as fast as you want

At the moment during rolling starts green lights mean "the start is ok", while red = "one more lap".

James Beer

Quote from: Serega on September 03, 2012, 04:03:49 PM
The idea with le mans start useless. Why distract Piboso to such nonsense? Better take time to let the refinement of physics, release telemetry, tracks and other things. Anything not that ...
piboso asked for suggestions so we gave him some, he obviously is going to improve them and he asked for us to give him suggestions, the starting of the race is one of the most important things to get a good result, so if he could improve it, it will be brilliant and could sometimes help you