• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Beta4 - shifting problems from beta 2 are back

Started by richard watson, November 04, 2011, 03:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmpcs

I tried shifting without releasing throttle.
It works only when the revs exceed the limit and the engine starts to cut.
Between that I have to release the pedal otherwise it won't shift.
Doesn't that happen in your game?

Aritz

i have to lift the throttle more than a bit and I loose a lot of shiftings. I am used to shift a real kart and maybe that is the reason, or as Piboso said, we have not the real feeling so we do not sincronize correctly.
Anyway, I would prefer easier shiftings, even if there are not simulated in real way :P

dibu

Quote from: Aritz on November 14, 2011, 09:25:26 PM
i have to lift the throttle more than a bit and I loose a lot of shiftings. I am used to shift a real kart and maybe that is the reason, or as Piboso said, we have not the real feeling so we do not sincronize correctly.
Anyway, I would prefer easier shiftings, even if there are not simulated in real way :P

I use a Logitech G25 with the sequential shifter and I also have the problems you discribed.

We already had an (unfinished) discussion about shifting in beta3: http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=887.msg4710#msg4710

Hopefully this discussion has more success for a change in the next release - shifting should work 100% reliable.

oppolo

I think, as before, it's a lag issue, try offline and you should not have any problems

richard watson

Almost all of my driving IS offline. The problem I describe (nicely illustrated by dibu in the thread he linked) does get worse online, but is definitely there offline as well. In fact one of the main reasons I rarely go online is this shifting problem. Losing 0.3 to 1s+ a lap because of missed upshifts is quite frustrating driving by yourself. When driving with others the situation is simply untenable.

I am in agreement with Artiz - I would prefer shifting that is more realistic, even if that means "faking" it within the simulation. Though this may seem like sacrilege it really needs to be done. Clearly the simulation in its current state (with regard to shifting) does not resemble reality. Again I base this off the many thousands of real world shifts personally performed by myself, as well as others as demonstrated on video. In fact I have recently ordered my own gopro camera so that I can provide my own video demonstration of shifting in reality vs KRP.

From Piboso's input, my experimentation, and the experiences of others, it seems now that the most likely reason for this is that the simulation is used with micro switches on people's controllers, rather than an input device that fully simulates the lever, linkage, shift forks, shift drum, shift drum spring, shift drum roller, primary gear shaft, main gear shaft, individual gear clusters, gear "dogs", the slots with which these "dogs" interact, the oil film in between these various components, the counter sprocket, each part of the drive chain, main sprocket, axle, wheel, tires and road!

I am not bringing this up because I am an inexperienced @@#$%% that does not know what I am talking about! I bring it up because it is a real and serious problem that in my eyes could be the downfall of this otherwise fantastic sim!

Richard

tubefactor

Hi,
I recognize the problem as I have the same issue with my Logitech Driving Force GT with sequential shifter.

FYI, by activating the shifter help, under the simualtion tab, the problem is eliminated, at least in my case.
The drawback however is that you do not need to release the throttle, so it is less realistic. :(
Hope this helps ;)
When it looks fast it usually goes fast....

oppolo

November 17, 2011, 04:02:44 PM #21 Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 04:04:34 PM by oppolo
here shiftup works in this way, G25, stick gear, no any helps

Aritz

Quote from: tubefactor on November 17, 2011, 03:19:45 PM
Hi,
I recognize the problem as I have the same issue with my Logitech Driving Force GT with sequential shifter.

FYI, by activating the shifter help, under the simualtion tab, the problem is eliminated, at least in my case.
The drawback however is that you do not need to release the throttle, so it is less realistic. :(
Hope this helps ;)

yes but the downshifting is slower, much slower in fact...

Same wheel here, Piboso should buy one and test to fix the problem (joking  :P)