• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:01:33 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Layout objects menu not showing custom models

Started by [SATD] pl4sma2389, December 10, 2021, 10:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[SATD] pl4sma2389

Hello all,

My account was recently deleted due to the anti-spam filter, but I got it cleared up and now I'm back. Anyways this post isn't anything to do with that...

I've been wanting to add objects to my track that aren't baked in to the model, and can be toggled on and off with a layout choice. I'm not sure, but I think that the layout objects function in TrackEd is the way to do this. However, after selecting the folder where my custom .edf objects are, nothing shows up.
You cannot see attachments on this board.
Nothing asides from the sky .edf models show up in the "Add Custom Obj" menu either.
You cannot see attachments on this board.
Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?  ???
Join discord.gg/9cv8aeQr6S for updates on my projects and to make requests.

LXS77

Hi, yes, you can use the layout objects to block the road for different track configurations, but using custom EDF files for a layout is a bit tricky. I'd say it's much easier to use default assets which can be found at misc.pkz (just go to steamapps  -> common -> Kart Racing Pro -> misc.pkz and unzip the contents of the subfolder objs to a folder of your choice).

Open TrackEd and go to View -> Layout. In ModelsPath choose the folder you've extracted the default assets to, then you should be able to see a list of objects, which can be placed on the track.

To place an object, open your TRP file, go to View -> Layout, using the controls described in Chapter 3.8 of https://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php?title=TrackEd#Alternate_Layouts locate the position, choose the item from the list, click Create button and place the object at the desired location, then save the LYT file.

[SATD] pl4sma2389

December 12, 2021, 02:18:31 AM #2 Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 03:53:26 AM by [SATD] pl4sma2389
Quote from: LXS77 on December 12, 2021, 12:44:26 AMHi, yes, you can use the layout objects to block the road for different track configurations, but using custom EDF files for a layout is a bit tricky.

How tricky? Those base game assets are helpful, but I would like to place down some custom feather flags for an event I'm running. I assume the reason my objects aren't showing up is due to that .cfg file included in the misc.pkz/misc/objs folder not including my .edf files. I'll have to play around with that.

Also, how do you delete objects you've placed? X, Backspace, and Delete while an object is selected doesn't seem to do anything. Actually, you can just save the .lyt then edit it with Notepad++ or something like that.
Join discord.gg/9cv8aeQr6S for updates on my projects and to make requests.

LXS77

Quote from: [SATD] pl4sma2389 on December 12, 2021, 02:18:31 AMI assume the reason my objects aren't showing up is due to that .cfg file included in the misc.pkz/misc/objs folder not including my .edf files. I'll have to play around with that.
Exactly, you need to add your EDF models to objs.cfg specifying the object name, filename, dimensions (not quite sure how that works tbh, marshals don't require dimensions) and the type of material. Alternatively, you can create a separate folder, copy your EDF files there, make a new objs.cfg file and re-direct the Models Path to that folder.

Quote from: [SATD] pl4sma2389 on December 12, 2021, 02:18:31 AMActually, you can just save the .lyt then edit it with Notepad++ or something like that.
Yep, you can do that or, in TrackEd, locate the object positioned on the track, right-click on it and select Delete from the drop-down menu.