• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Thanks, congratulations, feedback and questions.

Started by AdamK, December 10, 2010, 08:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamK

First of all, congratulations to the developer's at Kart Racing Pro. The potential here is quite amazing. Thanks for sticking with the project and I hope the development and success continues to grow strongly in the future.

-First of all, a question on the "steering ratio" adjustment:
   Can some one please explain to me what exactly the steering ratio is adjusting?
   The only thing I can think of it "physical" simulating is the length of the steering arm off of the spindle. I really don't think there are that many varieties of such a huge range as the options allow, if that is, what is being adjusted with different steering ratio settings.
   I've tried tons of different settings, in-game and in the profiler, different steering ratios, caster settings, wheel rotation, force feedback, etc. etc.
   I can't seem to get a decent "feel" similar to a kart in real-life. The feeling isn't bad, it just doesn't remind me of a kart. I feel like the center range of steering should be a lot "stiffer" if you've ever been in a kart, the caster always makes the steering wheel want to be straight. Currently, in the sim, I feel the center range is far too large....that the force feedback is only noticeable at either tons of steering angle or with a little steering angle in heavy cornering situations. In my opinion, the force feedback should build up right from the center of steering movement. Currently its too easy to go into a corner and put way too much steering in, because there is no sensation of the caster until the middle of the corner, then the kart rotates heavily and the force feedback builds up quickly, making for a lot of back and forth steering adjustments that leave the driver feeling disconnected for the kart.

-I agree that the simulated "lift" and "pause" with the shifter are far too long and exaggerated. Only in the lower gears do you really need to lift off 100%, even then the time between gears is a lot less than the sim. In the higher gears you usually can like 50%-75% and shift consistently, there isn't any real "pause" in real-life just a little lift of the throttle and jolt into the next gear.

-I feel like the relationship between longitudinal grip and lateral grip could use some work. I haven't been in a kart for a year or so and that was a stock moto. Before that I drove both ICC and ICA for a few years. I don't get the feeling that I can kick the back out a little under-braking and chirp the rear tires like I could in real-life. Once the tires lock at all they don't seem to recover longitudinal grip quick enough and the lose of longitudinal grip takes too much grip away from the tires lateral capabilities.

-Also, the overall steering lock is limited much more than real-life. If I was to guess the average lock to lock of a real kart, I would say probably 270-300 degrees in the sim it seems to be no more than 180-200.

-The throttle feels like it has too much to do with how the kart rotates in comparison to real-life. It almost feels like it has a differential in the sim....Off throttle on entry seems to make the kart way to free in some scenarios and way to tight in the middle in comparison to real life.

Thats all for now! Keep up the good work!

oppolo

Quote from: AdamK on December 10, 2010, 08:53:34 PM
-First of all, a question on the "steering ratio" adjustment:
   Can some one please explain to me what exactly the steering ratio is adjusting?
   The only thing I can think of it "physical" simulating is the length of the steering arm off of the spindle. I really don't think there are that many varieties of such a huge range as the options allow, if that is, what is being adjusted with different steering ratio settings.
in karts there is not a "steering box" (i don't know if it is the right name) so the steering ratio is 1

here it can be changed only the ackermaan

in krp the range is from 3:1 to 6:1, why?

thomas_05

Quote from: AdamK on December 10, 2010, 08:53:34 PM

-Also, the overall steering lock is limited much more than real-life. If I was to guess the average lock to lock of a real kart, I would say probably 270-300 degrees in the sim it seems to be no more than 180-200.

I can't really agree on that. The trackrods limit the steering lock to about 180/200 degrees in real life. The trackrods just hit the steering column after 180/200 degrees.