• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:54:31 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Race start and drying line not working

Started by matty0l215, July 22, 2017, 11:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty0l215

Been a long time since i've tried to race in KRP but me and Stout thought we would give it a go tonight.

Track- Lonato 4-12 short layout
People on server- 4/5
Weather- Wet to drying
Karts- KF1

Everything was going okay, Really enjoyable.  We had a wet track, about 5 people on the server. A nice drying line (Somthing i have not seen stabely for a long time in GPB) and not a single person disconneting or Lagging.

Got through Qualiy with only one hickup, As the drying line developed it looked really odd, not a smooth line more like a pixelated patern on the floor. but this isnt the main issue we had tonight

When we tried to do a race start, everyone got on to the grid fine. Lights went green but then as we started the rolling start lap, At least one person got DSQ before even start for GOING TO SLOW?? okay, lets try again, But the same thing. I get the green light start accelerating up to 50ish KPH then BAM, someone get DSQ (Oh and the message appears about 100 times in an instance?!) We try again and again 5 times and each time we all get DSQ for going to slow... On the Rolling start...

I mean come one. We get this sort of thing In GPB but we know the issues, we can get round them but This is a V1 version of KRP and the race funtion doesn't work?!

I Know there's a lot of issues that need sorting but things need to be Prioratised and to all the people crying about that the game needs more content, No it doesnt, not at the moment. We can Mod things into the game. Lets fix the Things that make the game playable before rolling it in glitter shall we... If the game runs as well in race as it does in Practice, it would be golden but until then we've got a real issue.

Rant over, Sorry about that :)

Stout Johnson

July 23, 2017, 12:51:17 AM #1 Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:56:22 AM by Stout Johnson
Exactly like Matty stated. Overall, it was a very enjoyable session. No netcode issues, very smooth, the wet conditions with the drying line was fun. Only downside was the race. I can only second the observations from Matty, something seems to be wrong. The initial thing was, that some drivers were disqualified for jump start, maybe they did move or not I cannot assess. So far so good, now to the real issues:

One thing that makes it almost unplayable is, that when the driver in starting place 1 accelerates, the 2nd driver has to follow in a certain area behind, which sometimes is really hard, because when the first driver accelerates hard out of a corner, it is sometimes nearly impossiblle to stay within the required limits of max distance behind. Especially with the lower spec karts, if you are only accelerating maybe 0.5s later than the guy in front, you still lose more than 30m to the guy at higher speeds. So far no real bug, but it is highly advisable to loosen the restrictions a bit (or have the option to do so), otherwise it is almost impossible to get races going, especially with lower spec karts or in wet conditions, because you sometimes cannot really accelerate very hard out of a slow corner.

Then the real bug happened: When we restarted the race a couple of times, the guy in first grid position (Matty) would get a jump start every time, although he did not move early. Also, as Matty pointed out, in the chat window the penalties were not displayed one time, but in a endless loop. Something def wrong there.

I am not sure whether it was caused by the wet conditions or the multiple restarts to the race. My suggestion would be to engage in a test session with some users (+ you and Snappe) and then try to debug and also to improve on the restrictions before the rolling start. At the moment it is broken and does not really work.

As Matty mentioned it, here is a pic of the drying line which looked rather rough/pixelled. Just for your notice.

oppolo

the starting lap should be repeated untill it is well done, it is also responsibility of the first in the grid that all others people can follow him for a right start, when it is well done should appear the message that the race is starting

matty0l215

We couldnt even get off of the start grid. I got DSQ for jump starting and i didnt even have a hand on the wheel. The few times we did start rolling the game said that x person was driving to slow and DSQ them even though we were in a tigh pack.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: oppolo on July 23, 2017, 01:21:46 AM
the starting lap should be repeated untill it is well done, it is also responsibility of the first in the grid that all others people can follow him for a right start, when it is well done should appear the message that the race is starting
Thanks for your comments. What happens in real life, if the first on the grid does not lead in a way that the guys behind can follow? I am sure race commission can penalize him too. In KRP that does not happen at all, only guys behind get penalized. So that should definitely be worked on in some way.

And as Matty pointed out, there were definitely some bugs involved when trying to re-start the race. 

oppolo

I dont know what happens irl, I remember many years ago, when I was online, that there was the same problem, it was almost impossible to race because there were people unknowing the rules, but when all people knew what to do, the starting procedure was easy. http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=594.0 .
A brain of PC is not discretionary, so rules must be follow tightly, if nobody has lag and you all are following the rules, then now there is definitely some bug

Stout Johnson

July 23, 2017, 11:18:34 AM #6 Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:27:05 AM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: oppolo on July 23, 2017, 10:24:56 AM
I dont know what happens irl, I remember many years ago, when I was online, that there was the same problem, it was almost impossible to race because there were people unknowing the rules, but when all people knew what to do, the starting procedure was easy. http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=594.0 .
A brain of PC is not discretionary, so rules must be follow tightly, if nobody has lag and you all are following the rules, then now there is definitely some bug
The discussion definitely is two-fold. On one hand we had some obvious bug. After 2 or 3 re-starts, there was definitely something buggy. Also the chat messages not stopping is proof of some sort of bug.

On the other hand, there is also lack of knowledge playing a role for most users. You are definitely right, practicing the start procedures also helps for the newbies to learn how it is done. We had similar situations with GPB with sighting laps and people not really then starting in their designated spots. So it would be even more crucial for Piboso to really highlight the existence of this forum and maybe cover the most crucial topics in a sort of FAQ with direct links (maybe even directly from within the game?).
In a perfect world, every new player would browse the forum for most important topics and learn and study. But in reality, most just test the sim and try to learn on the fly. And when things are not quite self-explanatory or the instructions are hard to find, there might be some people just giving up. One approach would be to say "well then, f**k them" the other one would be to try to make crucial things more user friendly.

And I think for rookies it would be helpful to have options like standing start or reducing the restrictions for the rolling start (e.g. increasing the max distance between drivers). My 2 cents...

Edit: another idea would be to give a server option of displaying a message explaining the rules for the start which the player can read without any time constraints. Only after all drivers have read the message, they have the option to go to the starting grid. That would ensure they have a breakdown of all the rules for the starting procedure. For servers directed at expierenced drivers, this option can be turned off.

oppolo

July 27, 2017, 09:15:28 AM #7 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:18:49 AM by oppolo
Yesterday I tried the rolling start but it was not possible to make a start after 5 attempts. In the first rolling start I saw the kart in front of me jumped and then bamp, some guys had DQ. Then we were only 2 in the track but no way to make a start, I was all time getting too slow and the message cycling...then I was in first position ans the pc told me I was the leader but the other friend overtook me, maybe also him took the message he was the leader, anyway I took DQ and the same message cycling 'too slow' even if my speed was right.
Years ago all was working very well, hope Piboso fix this.
The kart was KF3, track Essay and I was the host with a dedicated server on the same PC