• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:07:36 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Oculus Rift?

Started by Dan Buck, August 14, 2013, 02:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Buck

Will KRP have an Oculus Rift support? :D
If I die tomorrow, I'd be alright because I believe that after we're gone, the spirit carries on! :: If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver.

LauZzZn

+1 i gonna buy oculus rift and for krp it would be awesome. in no motorsport you turn your head as often as in karting
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

Moretti

I asked for the same quite some time ago. It would be the best feature the simulator could ever have.
http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=2084.msg17528

PiBoSo

Quote from: Dan Buck on August 14, 2013, 02:55:31 PM
Will KRP have an Oculus Rift support? :D

Waiting for the final release. At the moment there seem to be several problems.

elude107

Hey, would you mind saying what the problems are? I got my hands on an Oculus Rift dev kit and I'd love to help you support it any way I could.

So far, I can tell that none of the regular tools work because they are all Direct3D based, not OpenGL

PiBoSo

Quote from: elude107 on September 07, 2013, 06:59:48 AM
Hey, would you mind saying what the problems are? I got my hands on an Oculus Rift dev kit and I'd love to help you support it any way I could.

So far, I can tell that none of the regular tools work because they are all Direct3D based, not OpenGL

For the developer kit, there are reports of:
1) low resolution ( this should be improved in the retail version )
2) visible grid around the pixels
3) lag

The fatal flaw of the whole setup is that it's not possible to see the surrounding environment: no additional controllers / buttons and no keyboard. This is a serious limitation for a simulator, but there is probably no solution.

rich32g

Quote from: PiBoSo on September 07, 2013, 11:47:15 AM

The fatal flaw of the whole setup is that it's not possible to see the surrounding environment: no additional controllers / buttons and no keyboard. This is a serious limitation for a simulator, but there is probably no solution.

I have heard from many sources that the retail version will have a forward facing camera allowing you to switch and see what's actually in front of you.

My personal experience is that the dev kit looked pretty terrible, Gave me eye strain and made me moderately sick.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to testing the full consumer version when it finally arrives.

elude107

3) lag

Yeah, those are some problems with the developer kit so far, but most people who are interested are still continuing to develop for it. I understand if it isn't on the top of your priorities for KRP right now, but I hope that you're still considering it because there are people who enjoy using the Oculus.

GuileSN

3) lag

Please allow me to respectfully disagree.

There is absolutely no problem in not being able to see the surroundings, as it is easy to configure the buttons in the wheel and if there is any need to type something on the keyboard, we can simply remove the Oculus and go type it.

For me, the Oculus compatibility should definitely be PRIORITY NUMBER ONE for KRP, as it would make the sim stand out and attract SO MANY PEOPLE (ME INCLUDED) to absolutely dive into the racing.

I have tested my Oculus with iRacing and it is so damn good, there is no turning back.. Playing on the monitor now seems like something from the cave ages  ;D

SimRacer

I think CastAR is going to be a far better option when it comes to sims.

Nitrox

Oculus could be really cool for racing sims, I think. But I agree that there are some problems ATM. I would delay this until the final release.
Just as PiBoSo said, I think resolution is one of the biggest problems ATM. It really looks horrible.

Dan Buck

Nitrox, have you tried the OculusVR already?

the experience is amazing, despite of the low res...

i understand the best is to wait a little bit more, but it would be great to have it on going on the sim! :D
If I die tomorrow, I'd be alright because I believe that after we're gone, the spirit carries on! :: If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver.