• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

June 05, 2024, 02:43:32 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

simracing nooob

Started by Hudson1984, June 14, 2013, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson1984

Hi all, bit new to this sim racing lark....by new I mean up until a couple of hours ago I assumed anything that involved a computer was only ever going to be a game....bit wrong there it seems!

I've been looking to start Karting however the costs involved would mean I could only really get out on track once a month, been looking around at ways to reduce training costs and sim racing popped up.

I'm sure this is a regularly asked question but is there a good middle of the road setup? i'm sure there are people spending thousands to get the best but i'm after a good bare bones system that can be expanded/upgraded as time/the mrs allows  ;D

I want to build a new PC solely for the use as the simulator too and again this would be a middle of the road thing that can be upgraded as time goes on.

any suggestions would be great :)

oh and hi all

Birel-Rotax 42

If you have a budget of around $700 (if you are in Europe, use a currency calculator) search up parts on websites like newegg.com or Microcenter.com. They are pretty great retailers for systems, no matter if they are just parts or if you want to buy a barebones system. I recommend building a system, as you will save around $200 when it comes to the overall cost. Otherwise, just search for "(price range) gaming computer" and the results will be there. If anything else, get a dedicated graphics card, because the built in graphics of Intel and AMD chips isn't enough to be running many games on "high" or "ultra" settings.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Birel-Rotax 42 on June 14, 2013, 03:43:34 PM
If anything else, get a dedicated graphics card, because the built in graphics of Intel and AMD chips isn't enough to be running many games on "high" or "ultra" settings.

An Nvidia graphics card is recommended, because of better OpenGL drivers.

Hudson1984

i think i'm going to try to fix my current PC and spend the cash on a better graphics card and better HDD

what about steering wheel etc is the G27 a good choice?

Birel-Rotax 42

@PiBoSo: I'm running an AMD 7850 on ultra graphics and my FPS is fine. I think that as long as you have a dedicated GPU, you're going to be fine. What are your PC specs?

Clova414

The Thrustmaster Ferrari F 430 Wheel is the best for the price $80-120...

Hudson1984

My PC is intel core 2 Quad, 8MB Ram, going to upgrade HD, upgrade graphics card (and case as the new one has more cooling) so with the right card it should be ok I would have thought

ah ok hadn't looked at the TM F430 wheel, I did have a play with an old Logitech gran tourismo one this weekend and that didn't feel too bad so an upgrade from there would be cool.

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: Hudson1984 on June 14, 2013, 04:36:32 PM
i think i'm going to try to fix my current PC and spend the cash on a better graphics card and better HDD

what about steering wheel etc is the G27 a good choice?
wheel all depends on how much you want to spend but anything that works on PC is good, if you have the money a a Fanatec wheel is the best you can get, a G27 and G25 are good and and those are the best but there are lower range wheels but i won't go on for a list as there are so many it isn't funny
Cameron Dance  • Marenello KZ2 driver • One of the youngest KZ2 drivers in NZ (16 years of age)
iceshard989 on YouTube • KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter • Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

Andreas.L

I have the g27 and it is amazing!
I am not designed to come second or third. I am designed to win.

-Ayrton Senna ♥

KZ2_Iceman97

June 17, 2013, 10:24:23 AM #9 Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:37:10 AM by KZ2_Iceman97
I have a laptop(I hook it up to my HD TV or monitor when i want to play) and the specs I have are
Processor: Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
RAM: 4GB
Operating system: Windows 7
Graphics: 2GB dedicated Radeon graphics card
Hard Drive: 750GB
Manufacturer: Samsung
obviously my laptop isn't the best nor the worst but with these the games runs nice and smooth with no lag or frame rate and can run quite a few sims from what I have already tried and have no problems with them in any way
Cameron Dance  • Marenello KZ2 driver • One of the youngest KZ2 drivers in NZ (16 years of age)
iceshard989 on YouTube • KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter • Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

IceMan11

Quote from: Hudson1984 on June 17, 2013, 09:07:43 AM
My PC is intel core 2 Quad, 8MB Ram, going to upgrade HD, upgrade graphics card (and case as the new one has more cooling) so with the right card it should be ok I would have thought

ah ok hadn't looked at the TM F430 wheel, I did have a play with an old Logitech gran tourismo one this weekend and that didn't feel too bad so an upgrade from there would be cool.

Your computer is just fine for the game. ;) ... except for 8MB of RAM. Do you mean 8GB? ???
There's always a lot of talk about motivation to race, but nobody really knows what I do or what I think apart from myself, so I don't really care what people think.     -Kimi Raikkonen

Hudson1984

....DRAT!! yep mean 8GB  ;D

hmm maybe I should've read this post before pulling the thing apart ready to be rebuilt :/

I do want a new case though so it'll be nice to rebuild in something better.

Capeta

Don't buy  the ferrari Wheel ;)

nmpcs

Quote from: Capeta on July 15, 2013, 04:55:37 AM
Have you had some kind of problem with the Thustmaster Ferrari wheels?
Mine has now a problem with the upshift paddle. (I think it brakes too easily)

Clova414

Quote from: nmpcs on July 15, 2013, 09:24:30 AM
Quote from: Capeta on July 15, 2013, 04:55:37 AM
Have you had some kind of problem with the Thustmaster Ferrari wheels?
Mine has now a problem with the upshift paddle. (I think it brakes too easily)
Same here  >:(