• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:11:49 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

3ds max question texturing

Started by outerran, June 06, 2013, 07:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outerran

Hi,
Is there an easy way to tile a bitmap to follow the shape of a selected poly? I need it to follow the white line of the track. UV map - Face does only half of the job, because it affects also the length of the bmp, and I want equal length patterns. Tks

malny

Quote from: outerran on June 06, 2013, 07:40:43 AM
Hi,
Is there an easy way to tile a bitmap to follow the shape of a selected poly? I need it to follow the white line of the track. UV map - Face does only half of the job, because it affects also the length of the bmp, and I want equal length patterns. Tks

I did not understand what you need to do ... ::) sorry but I use the translators ... :-\

Aritz

Quote from: outerran on June 06, 2013, 07:40:43 AM
Hi,

no...

There are at least two ways to make the track and the easiest is to use Loft. Make the track profile with the white lines included and then the track centerline, both with splines. Then aply loft and the track will be easy to map because you already have "places" for the white lines 

outerran

Thanks Aritz. When using lofting I did make the segment for the line.
, but I didn't define it as a separate object to loft it separately.
so the line is part of the road poly. My problem is now tiling correctly the line bitmap onto that poly stripe. The bitmap has to be aligned, for example like putting concrete tiles of the same size along the road on that stripe. Not sure if I'm clearer now.
thanks

LauZzZn

if i understand you right then just select the model and select a uvw map modifier
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

EVO

yes us uvw map modifer and transform gizmo within the modifier to rotate and scale perfectly
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

Aritz

June 10, 2013, 07:52:07 PM #6 Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:55:25 PM by Aritz
Nonono, you don't need to loft each surface separately! You can do everything in one step

Start again:

Make the track shape, including all the different surfaces you want as lines, asphalt, kerbs, track sides for grass/asphalt mixed textures...

Then aply to each surface (they are different spline segments) different ID, let's say asph ID 1, lines ID 2, etc. Select the asphalt segment and change ID to 1, select lines segments and change ID to 2, etc

Aply loft and texturize the track with multy-sub object. Create textures and put then correctly (ID 1 asph, ID 2 white texture, etc)

EVO

i think i quick video showing this would help a lot. even me. I pretty bad a modeling in max.
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website