• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

June 17, 2024, 07:58:41 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

KRP used for 3rd party profit

Started by evo1087, May 31, 2012, 07:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVO

Does it go agianst the KRP terms of use for track designers/end user's/ 3rd party to make tracks for kart clubs and make money from them?

To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

PiBoSo

There is no problem if someone gets paid to create tracks for KRP.
There are some companies charging money to use KRP at events or on hardware simulators. This is ok, as long as 1) they bother to send an email asking for permission 2) they send pictures or videos of the hardware setup 3) they advertise KRP.
What is NOT allowed is to resell / rebrand KRP.

EVO

So you can make a track under contract that it will not be released to the public.  I think that is not fair to the KRP community expecially if we want the sim to grow.
some of the best tracks for KRP have never been released becasue the best 3d artist are being bought out

dibu

Quote from: EVO on May 31, 2012, 08:58:29 PM
some of the best tracks for KRP have never been released becasue the best 3d artist are being bought out
EVO, where is the problem? The tracks will never appear in the stats and so I'll never be interested in using them.

I have some of the NP tracks in my collection, I tested them once or twice and then I forgot them. There is no challange, because I can't compare my driving with others. For me only registered tracks are real tracks ;).

EVO

that is a good point you made there. what doees NP mean?

David Waters

June 01, 2012, 01:15:15 AM #5 Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:24:47 AM by David Waters
Hi Evo,

I assume you are referring to iZone and my tracks with your post.

I started off creating tracks for rFactor just like most people in the modding community, however I was lucky enough to be picked up by Buckmore very early on and have them pay me for my work. One thing led to another and now I'm working for iZone. The difference is that while Buckmore were happy for me to share my work, iZone aren't as they are a new company, and having a library of realistic tracks which are not available anywhere else is extremely valuable to them.

The fact is that if anyone else here was given that opportunity (and it is a huge opportunity for me - not just to earn money, but as a student studying motorsport at university it is a foot in the door and a chance to meet important people in the motorsport world) I'm sure they would have grabbed it with both hands just like I did.

Don't be put off by the fact that my tracks aren't available as there are a hell of a lot of talented people in this community already (don't think I don't look around at the competition!) who do create tracks for free. Frankly, if I wasn't being paid then none of the tracks I've made would exist anyway, so I don't see it as a big deal.

We do advertise KRP on the simulator. All of our drivers see the menu screens and loading screens etc when they use the simulator and we don't try to hide the fact that we run KRP. Other than the odd small bug here and there, we are all very impressed with KRP and think it's the best (in fact the only) viable option. I wasn't aware that we had to ask permission to use the software, but I have emailed PiBoSo previously so he does know that we are using KRP. I don't know if iZone asked permission themselves previously - I wasn't given a huge amount of information when I first started working for them.

Obviously we would never try to rebrand or resell KRP - it is only used in our sim room.