• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:07 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

KS1 and Beta5

Started by dibu, January 23, 2012, 08:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dibu

January 23, 2012, 08:09:05 PM Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:14:07 PM by dibu
After 2 weeks of driving with the KS1 in Beta5 here my opinion.

General drivability:
At the beginning the sudden oversteer was a big problem. But now after adapting my setups I'm more or less used to the new behavior.
I'm still .4 to 1 seconds slower than in Beta4. The reasons may be my inability, my still not perfect setups or the changed torque.

Torque:
The new torque curve is more realistic. It's a new challenge because it doesn't forgive any mistakes in gear change.

Rev Limiter:
The absence of a rev limiter is ok, but as already stated by others it's not realistic how fast you kill the engine when starting in first gear.

Shifting:
This is still my big problem.
For upshifting you have to lift the throttle too much. An infinitesimal lift should be enough to shift.

Compared to Beta4 and especially to a real life shifter the downshifting in Beta5 is much more unreliable.
Especially if you fast shift down two or more gears it happens too often that you hear that short ugly noise of not synchronised gearwheels and the gear change was not successful. In the meantime I'm able to handle it on most tracks but it's not realistic.

An extreme example is Goldenport. There are three corners where I have to downshift twice. Maybe it's because the track is very bumpy, but I'm not able to drive a complete lap without this downshift problem. Even with completely released throttle and waiting between the two shifts it happens, sometimes even at the first shift. I made a test at other bumpy tracks like Buckmore and Amay and there are similar problems.
Do these bumpy tracks influence the downshift behavior?
I've attached a short replay of Goldenport. It's an attempt to shift from 5th to 3rd. You see that throttle is completely released and I downshifted twice. The first gear change was ok and at the second you hear that strange noise and I'm still in fourth gear. 

The Iceman Marco

You're 0.4 - 1 sec slower as in beta 4 because of the new realistic torque and there is less grip of the rubber build up. In beta 4 the rubber build up had too much grip and that's fixed. So that you're slower as in beta 4 now isn't surprising.

And about that shifting. It became much harder, especially the downshifting. I have the problem aswell when I shift down to quick. But when you're used to it, it isn't a very big problem anymore, but you always want to shift down to quick. I don't know how it is in real so I can't compare it, but if everyone say it isn't realistic it should change I think. But again, I've no experiences in real with shifters so I can't tell how it should be.

dibu

January 23, 2012, 08:40:29 PM #2 Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:43:24 PM by dibu
The slower lap times are ok for me, it seems to be the same for everyone.

Quote from: The Iceman Marco on January 23, 2012, 08:26:24 PM
But when you're used to it, it isn't a very big problem anymore, but you always want to shift down to quick.
I'm used to it for most tracks, but Marco can you do me a favor and test Goldenport, this is my problem track. I would be interested in the opinion of a real fast guy.

Aritz

Nice thread  ;D

I love the new ks1! The torque is much better than before and the handle (with 180 degrees) is a lot better too.

But the new non limited rpm must be fixed and the worst is the shifting, I am using shift help from the first day so I can´t talk about beta5 shifting. I tried many times not to use the help but I was not able to shift almost any time ;D I don´t know how it is programed but it should be extremely easy to shift with no mistakes. Here I would like to have more "arcade" than simulation...

I have a question for ks1 torque haters: What is your problem? Real kz engines need one hand in shift almost all the time lol! By the way, I do better times now, perhaps the more real behaviour helps me, I hate the understeering!!

The Iceman Marco

Quote from: dibu on January 23, 2012, 08:40:29 PM
I'm used to it for most tracks, but Marco can you do me a favor and test Goldenport, this is my problem track. I would be interested in the opinion of a real fast guy.

The shifting is very hard on Goldenport. It's a bit harder a on other tracks like Lonato. I don't know why, but maybe because we have to shift down more gears. In the 1st and 3rd corner, the 2 slow hairpins I had to shift down 3 gears, and shift down 3 gears is very hard. Even harder as 2 which is quite difficult. You really have to shift very slow, you really have to get use to it, and that takes a bit more time as on other tracks, then it works good. But that's very hard.

dibu

Thanks for your test Marco. :) At least it's not only me who has some difficulties.

I have several years of experience with real shifters and I never had problems shifting up and down or killing an engine when shifting. It simply worked without thinking and that's what I would expect in KRP too.

Quote from: Aritz on January 24, 2012, 02:38:19 AM
But the new non limited rpm must be fixed and the worst is the shifting, I am using shift help from the first day so I can´t talk about beta5 shifting. I tried many times not to use the help but I was not able to shift almost any time ;D I don´t know how it is programed but it should be extremely easy to shift with no mistakes. Here I would like to have more "arcade" than simulation...

Something goes wrong if someone like Aritz who drives a real shifter has to use shifting help.