• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:40:21 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Karting Sallent (Spain) WIP

Started by Napalm Candy, December 12, 2010, 07:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Candy

I'm working in a new track, it is one of the largest one in Spain, 1,3km the time per lap it is about 1:05 in a championship with a shifter kart, but a normal day it is arround 1:08 - 1:10

I will need help to convert to KRP format, because I'm working on BTB (Bobs track builder), first I want to do all and test on rFactor (because it is a lot easier to export for rFactor), and when I see it is completed I will ask for help to convert to KRP.

Any it is interested on give some help with conversion, adding some 3D objects like, houses, boxes, pits... etc?

Some on board laps on the real one with my kart :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m-JGgYLCAw

thr3eam

Wow, that looks really promising! Going to get a very nice workout with all of those turns, can't wait!
Wowza!

OS-Chris

You really should optimize the meshes. There are enough polygons there to make a 5km track (with terrain).
Looking good though, GL with it ;)

Napalm Candy

OS-Chris, do you know if can optimize (reduce polygons) of a mesh on 3D Max?

Now is complex to opimize meshes because I need to do manually. So... the track surface it is easy to reduce the polygons I will delete at least 50% or more. But after I will add surface detail for bumps

OS-Chris

Yes, you can optimize the meshes in 3DSM but in a lot of situations, it's easier to do it in BTB as BTB handles the UVW mapping for you. In 3DSM, if you join 2 polygons together, then you have to manually reapply the UVW mapping (unless you keep a UVW map modifier at the top of your modifier stack for terrain, track surfaces are a major pain-in-the-rear).

What I would do in BTB is; reduce the number of segments (without starting BTB, I think it's called panel width in the track surfaces window) used on the straights (i.e. 1m segments in corners, 3-5m segments in the straights). Then, where possible, I'd merge as many terrain vertexes as I could without getting rid of too much detail (elevations & vertex alpha (material blending)). Based on the screenshots you posted, I would aim for around a 30-40% reduction in overall polygons. The more efficient you can be, not only with polygon count, but with collision models & textures as well, the more FPS everyone will get, and therefore, more people able to run on your track at once ;)

Aritz

Where can I learn more about BOB? I tried it yesterday and I was quite lost, I wasn't able to import Google Earth KML archive even correcting altitude issue.

OS-Chris

Aritz

Silly me... This web is the last place in my list to look for...

Thank you :)

Diswanio

Any (beta) release news about this wonderful track?

Napalm Candy

I think it can be take for at least 3 months of work begin the first public beta release. Now I have no more than the track with a 'correct' a heigths, but not perfect, i want to do better. After I want to do the bumps an a realistic track surface... So I have the terrain, but any object on the track, background, etc... After that I need to convert to KRP format, and at the moment I don't know how to do :)

Diswanio

Me neither sorry :(

I'd really like to see more tracks for KRP, but quallity takes time ino!!
Good luck

Napalm Candy

January 03, 2011, 02:59:35 PM #11 Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:02:26 PM by Napalm Candy

I had spend a lot of time optimizing the triangles on the track surface and grass. Also I do all tracks and little tracks for the track, only means one little pit on the left. Also I started with the first decoration like trees and houses... But first I want to do better the track surface with the most important bumps, also kerbs are not standard are very irregular and affect to the race line. I continue working on... :)

Racehard

Very nice, it's looking very good so far. This track will be great fun to drive  ;D

Keep it going!

Napalm Candy

Racehard

January 20, 2011, 11:07:35 PM #14 Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:29:14 PM by Racehard
Wow this looks already very awesome, can't wait to see it in krp, great work, keep it up!  ;D