• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 11:09:29 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Beta 9 - Mini 60 + Beta 9

Started by Praga91, June 09, 2013, 08:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Dunnett

In my 4 years karting I've only seen one accident where a neck brace would have helped. The kid wasn't wearing one but he walked away from it....after he regained consciousness. I think they're a good thing for younger drivers whose necks are still relatively fragile, but for most adults I don't think they're really needed.

IceMan11

Ok then. It makes sense for kids to wear it.
There's always a lot of talk about motivation to race, but nobody really knows what I do or what I think apart from myself, so I don't really care what people think.     -Kimi Raikkonen

Diddy4957

America and france are about the only countries I know where neckbraces are required, most drivers avoid them as they withstrict movement, plus the braces a lot of people use are foam, which dont actually help much, unlike leat braces which are proper neck braces

IceMan11

They are proper but cost a lot of money. It costs about 350 US dollars for a leat brace.
There's always a lot of talk about motivation to race, but nobody really knows what I do or what I think apart from myself, so I don't really care what people think.     -Kimi Raikkonen

Diddy4957

yeah that is the problem, but a lot of the foam ones are actually marketed as neck supporters, as they dont fully protect against wipslash, and i raced at 10 and had big crashes into a wall and never felt i needed a neck brace. Also as karts dont have role cages if you flip you land on your head, so it is good for your neck to be able to move so you dont brake your collarbone,

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: Nathan Dunnett on June 11, 2013, 06:29:32 PM
Most drivers around here don't wear neck protection. I find it extremely uncomfortable and the good ones are too expensive.
unless you have super strong neck muscles then you pretty much are an idiot for not wearing one if your in something like KZ, KZ2, KF1, KF2 or pretty much anything fast and has sticky tyres because your pulling over 3G's through some corners and doing that in a final which something like over 30 laps  without a neck brace is just suicide, how you would keep your head up when driving is one thing but how you would handle getting out of the kart after and doing all your other things would be just plain annoying and uncomfortable. The wet you don't necessarily need one because it's not so fast and grippy but it is defo recommended to wear one if you don't have strong neck muscles both in the wet and dry but more the dry, wet is easier to handle
Cameron Dance  • Marenello KZ2 driver • One of the youngest KZ2 drivers in NZ (16 years of age)
iceshard989 on YouTube • KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter • Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

IceMan11

Quote from: KZ2_Iceman97 on June 11, 2013, 10:12:28 PM
Most drivers around here don't wear neck protection. I find it extremely uncomfortable and the good ones are too expensive.
unless you have super strong neck muscles then you pretty much are an idiot for not wearing one if your in something like KZ, KZ2, KF1, KF2 or pretty much anything fast and has sticky tyres because your pulling over 3G's through some corners and doing that in a final which something like over 30 laps  without a neck brace is just suicide, how you would keep your head up when driving is one thing but how you would handle getting out of the kart after and doing all your other things would be just plain annoying and uncomfortable. The wet you don't necessarily need one because it's not so fast and grippy but it is defo recommended to wear one if you don't have strong neck muscles both in the wet and dry but more the dry, wet is easier to handle

Of course for incredibly fast karts like the KZ1s or even 125cc Stock Moto or even TAGs go fast so you feel the G forces as you go through a turn unless you go incredibly slow. Better to be safe to have one.

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: IceMan11 on June 11, 2013, 10:36:24 PMOf course for incredibly fast karts like the KZ1s or even 125cc Stock Moto or even TAGs go fast so you feel the G forces as you go through a turn unless you go incredibly slow. Better to be safe to have one.
I wear one myself and it does it's job and it is actually a major safety feature that can save your life, i remember being like 10 years old in cadets and being run over from the side and i was wearing a neck brace, had i not of worn one i probably would of broke my neck and from there on i have never looked back and always wear a neck brace when racing but not in the wet because the wets isn't so hard on  my neck and I can handle it and as they say "Better to be safe than sorry"
Cameron Dance  • Marenello KZ2 driver • One of the youngest KZ2 drivers in NZ (16 years of age)
iceshard989 on YouTube • KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter • Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

IceMan11

Yeah, its definitely safe than sorry. Laws of nature.

Praga91

I find this comment quit wrong. Iceman97 you are not in the CIK Pro kart series? every driver like Ryan Grant, Matt Hamilton, Goob and all thos guys do not wear neck braces.
Everyone in the European WSK or WSK Master series do not wear neck braces. Daniel Bray gave a comment about how dangerous they are at the Kartsport Elite academy, How if you ever are to go over how they restrict the movement with your head falling to the side and by doing that. there is a greater chance of actually breaking your neck. without one your head can move to where ever it is being forced and you will break your collar bone. I recon neck braces are stupid as they don't help in anyway. they just get in the way. i have driven kz and done plenty of laps non stop and was fine. it depends on if you want to focus on the the muscle being built up. younger kids is fine to wear one as they dont have the ability to Gym or work on that but i recon if your older than 15 harden up and work on it. and i have rolled before without them and i was fine.
If Everything Seems Under Control. You Are Not Going Fast Enough! - Mario Andretti.

Live Life at Full Pace, Never Look Back. Love Driving for Praga!! <3

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: Praga91 on June 12, 2013, 03:53:35 AM

I find this comment quit wrong. Iceman97 you are not in the CIK Pro kart series? every driver like Ryan Grant, Matt Hamilton, Goob and all thos guys do not wear neck braces.
Everyone in the European WSK or WSK Master series do not wear neck braces. Daniel Bray gave a comment about how dangerous they are at the Kartsport Elite academy, How if you ever are to go over how they restrict the movement with your head falling to the side and by doing that. there is a greater chance of actually breaking your neck. without one your head can move to where ever it is being forced and you will break your collar bone. I recon neck braces are stupid as they don't help in anyway. they just get in the way. i have driven kz and done plenty of laps non stop and was fine. it depends on if you want to focus on the the muscle being built up. younger kids is fine to wear one as they dont have the ability to Gym or work on that but i recon if your older than 15 harden up and work on it. and i have rolled before without them and i was fine.
your statement is wrong, if neck braces were dangerous then they would of been made in the first place, I have seen lives saved because of neck braces and so what I'm not in Pro kart this year, I don't have money to burn like the rest of them all and it would be waste as my gear is total shit, I would rather get ready for pro kart using my old gear and then step up into a brand new kart next year and compete and a couple of laps in KZ, mate try a whole meeting, we'll see how you are after that now no more arguing, this thread has already derailed itself enough

Nathan Dunnett

Here are a couple of photos from KZ and KF last year, count the number of neck braces:

Do you think nearly every Australian CIK entrant is an idiot? The series was revived 4 years ago with KF1 and KZ2, and in that time there have been a few pretty massive crashes, yet no broken necks. Neck braces are more so a marketing thing than a genuine life saver, they make it out to be incredibly easy to break you neck and that if you do roll over you will break it unless you are wearing a neck brace, however in reality they can do just as much harm as they do good because they can jar your neck and generally transfer all those forces to another weak point on your body.

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: Nathan Dunnett on June 12, 2013, 05:07:35 AM
Here are a couple of photos from KZ and KF last year, count the number of neck braces:

Do you think nearly every Australian CIK entrant is an idiot? The series was revived 4 years ago with KF1 and KZ2, and in that time there have been a few pretty massive crashes, yet no broken necks. Neck braces are more so a marketing thing than a genuine life saver, they make it out to be incredibly easy to break you neck and that if you do roll over you will break it unless you are wearing a neck brace, however in reality they can do just as much harm as they do good because they can jar your neck and generally transfer all those forces to another weak point on your body.
so what they aren't wearing neck braces, it's your decision to wear one or not, there is no proven fact that neck braces are more dangerous than not wearing one otherwise they would all be off the market by now

Praga91

June 12, 2013, 05:46:56 AM #43 Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:01:52 AM by Praga91
Quote from: KZ2_Iceman97 on June 12, 2013, 04:23:04 AM
Quote from: Praga91 on June 12, 2013, 03:53:35 AM

your statement is wrong, if neck braces were dangerous then they would of been made in the first place, I have seen lives saved because of neck braces and so what I'm not in Pro kart this year, I don't have money to burn like the rest of them all and it would be waste as my gear is total shit, I would rather get ready for pro kart using my old gear and then step up into a brand new kart next year and compete and a couple of laps in KZ, mate try a whole meeting, we'll see how you are after that now no more arguing, this thread has already derailed itself enough

Before you make Comments like that it might pay to research abit. So if every one is an idiot for not wearing a neck brace, does that mean Sebastian Vettel, Micheal Schumacher, and Ayrton Senn are idiots for not wearing one? Go and watch some WSK KZ1. they are the best drivers in the world. they do not wear neckbraces. i find them a waste of money. pointless and un needed. its your choice weather you wear one or not but they don't do anything, thats the reason why none of the fast drivers use them in New Zealand or Australia in KZ, KF or Rotax.

Weather you want to spend money  in a series or not is out of the comment you have made. about people who dont wear them are 'idiots' i suggest you stop replying as you have made your self quite the fool. they are a hazard in the faster karts hence the reason no one wears them. if you have an issue with it stop replying to it because you have backtracked your self quite alot. yes it is a persons choice. and alot of people do NOT wear them as they actually focus on their motorsport be getting fit and concentrating on that particular muscle so that can endure the long races with the pressure on the neck for some time.
Nathan is right look at how many people here are wearing neck braces? how many can you count? i can't see any.. why? because they are dedicated to the sport by fitness and preparation. you may think we are wrong mate. but its quite the opposite.
If Everything Seems Under Control. You Are Not Going Fast Enough! - Mario Andretti.

Live Life at Full Pace, Never Look Back. Love Driving for Praga!! <3

Matthew McLean