• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:04:05 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

cockpit view adjustment

Started by evo1087, August 31, 2011, 01:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVO

is there a file to alter similar to the replay camera file to change the cockpit view position if your are using a Simulation setup where you sit in an actual kart

only hud would then be needed
can the hud be moved around the screen? preferably to the top
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

PiBoSo

Quote from: evo1087 on August 31, 2011, 01:03:37 AM
is there a file to alter similar to the replay camera file to change the cockpit view position if your are using a Simulation setup where you sit in an actual kart

Driving views editing is not possible.
How should the position change in an hardware simulation setup?
Please note that at the moment the onboard camera is very close to the eyes' position.

SimRacer

August 31, 2011, 03:45:45 PM #2 Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:48:58 PM by SimRacer
I am needing this too. I could appreciate the same control of the seating position as they have in rFactor, similar to this:

http://youtu.be/YuS4PopkZ1c

Building a setup evo?!!

PiBoSo

Quote from: SimRacer on August 31, 2011, 03:45:45 PM
I am needing this too. I could appreciate the same control of the seating position as they have in rFactor, similar to this:

Building a setup evo?!!

Why is this needed? How is a "simulator" different than a "desk" setup?
Please note that at the moment the onboard camera is very close to the eyes' position, so it should already be correct.

SimRacer

August 31, 2011, 05:31:15 PM #4 Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:35:12 PM by SimRacer
While the FOV might be correct, the height of the monitors relative to the physical wheel may be different between setups and might not overlay correctly with the screen. People like to fine tune the perspective because in RL they might be shorter/taller and have a different view they find works for them.

PiBoSo

Quote from: SimRacer on August 31, 2011, 05:31:15 PM
While the FOV might be correct, the height of the monitors relative to the physical wheel may be different between setups and might not overlay correctly with the screen. People like to fine tune the perspective because in RL they might be shorter/taller and have a different view they find works for them.

How much movement would it be needed in every direction?

SimRacer

Quote from: PiBoSo on August 31, 2011, 05:52:18 PM
Quote from: SimRacer on August 31, 2011, 05:31:15 PM

How much movement would it be needed in every direction?

I assume that if the field of adjustment was limited to the boundry of the kart it would be fine. As for the vertical limit I don't know what would be sufficient. rFactors implementation would be good.

EVO

what i meant was  say you buiild a simulation setup where you are sitting in an actual kart you would no longer need to see the kart on the screen just the HUD data.

A sort of nose view

monaco98's setup

He dosent need the kart on the screen he is in one
with a wide screen monitor/projector some hydraulics under the tire or "buttkicker" under the seat
the setup would be fully emersive

SimRacer

Yep cool. I think both of the points we raised are needed for these setups.

As for the buttkicker/hydraulics thing, a butt kicker on the left and right sides of the chassis is what I have planned. Also I have spoken to simxperience where I got my other linear actuators and they said they are willing to help sort something out. Im considering cutting off the seat posts and replacing with the linear actuators. What you think?

EVO

i think the whole kart has to move some how.  driving by the seat of your pants as they say its makes sense to put it on the seat posts.   But to be completley emersed i think the whole kart has to vibrate.... so the double but kicker idea is a better idea.

is there was a way to simulate g's without a massive   pitch&roll rig setup?

SimRacer

September 01, 2011, 04:03:32 AM #10 Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:10:24 AM by SimRacer
Quote from: evo1087 on September 01, 2011, 03:43:44 AM
i think the whole kart has to move some how.  driving by the seat of your pants as they say its makes sense to put it on the seat posts.   But to be completley emersed i think the whole kart has to vibrate.... so the double but kicker idea is a better idea.

is there was a way to simulate g's without a massive   pitch&roll rig setup?

Check out simxperience.com, I have one of these systems that uses different principals to simulate the forces in the car/kart and it works great at a fraction of the cost! I think both the seat movement and the buttkickers would give a great overall effect!

EVO

September 01, 2011, 04:25:10 AM #11 Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:28:24 AM by evo1087
now that i think about it,  most of the vibration is felt through the seat.  The g forces are felt in the legs when you have to squeeze the tank so ur legs dont fall out of the kart.  The g forces are also felt mostly by the neck becuase of the helmet.  unless u can afford a carbon fiber helemy. 

replacing the seat support then is a great idea.  How to simulate g's though,    Have you heard of Track IR? have you expreimented with it in KRP?  maybe that and slight chassis roll and tilt

roll and tilt could be done with small airbags similar to the deal on the gangster spanish meng's lowriders
I dont know if those only work as sudden pulses
smooth responses would be required right?

SimRacer

September 01, 2011, 04:35:52 AM #12 Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:38:51 AM by SimRacer
Quote from: evo1087 on September 01, 2011, 04:25:10 AM
now that i think about it,  most of the vibration is felt through the seat.  The g forces are felt in the legs when you have to squeeze the tank so ur legs dont fall out of the kart.  The g forces are also felt mostly by the neck becuase of the helmet.  Less if u can afford carbon fiber. 

replacing the seat support then is a great idea.  How to simulate g's though,    Have you heard of Track IR have you expreimented with it in KRP?  maybe that and slight chassis roll and tilt

roll and tilt could be done with small airbags similar to the deal on the gangster spanish guys lowriders
I dont know if those only work as sudden pulses instead of smooth responses

The thing with motion systems is, unless you want to spend 10's or 100's of thousands, you will never get a maintained sensation of g forces. Instead a more effective way is tricking your brain into thinking the vehicle is moving, and that's what the seat mover systems do. You get both pitch and roll. There are also add on parts that allow you to add an actuator and get yaw.

Using air is not that great cos its not as fast as an electronic actuator. Its also expensive and requires a compressor.

When I purchased my motion system I looked at all the options and could not beat the seat mover for the cost.

EVO

November 03, 2011, 06:12:11 AM #13 Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:09:37 PM by evo1087
Quote from: PiBoSo on August 31, 2011, 04:29:53 PM
Quote from: SimRacer on August 31, 2011, 03:45:45 PM

Building a setup evo?!!

Why is this needed? How is a "simulator" different than a "desk" setup?
Please note that at the moment the onboard camera is very close to the eyes' position, so it should already be correct.

Piboso a pedal view or nose view  would be nice addition.  Since the game is a simulator having this view would be better than a 3rd person persepective

can this be added in Beta 4, i have it as a views in replays

name = Pedals
   position = 0, 0.7, 0.4
   rotation = 30, 0
   fov = 90

name = Nose
   position = 0, 0.3, 0.9
   rotation = 0, 0
   fov = 65

coupled with a widescreen projector/monitor these views will be perfect for simulator setups where you sit in a kart