• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:42 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Puddles how to do them

Started by Aritz, June 30, 2011, 06:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aritz

June 30, 2011, 06:57:49 PM Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:58:34 PM by Aritz
You will need Photoshop and 3dmax. Sorry for large images, they are needed for easy reading  :P

Follow the steps:

Open photoshop and "open file":

Now we have to create the ALPHA channel:

Now we can start doing the rain effect. The first step is to change from 100% black to something less black, that is the trick for better wet looking. All the tarmac will reflect the light, some parts are like a mirrow and some others are bright but no reflecting almost, like the real wet tarmac is :)

In some versions, it looks like the fill feature is hidden. You can do it from "EDIT" then "FILL". Don't forget to use low values:

There are a lot of ways to do the puddles. This is the easiest :D If you use different kind of brushes, you can create really good puddles, with different types of them (like the real puddles are)
You can play with those values: The more opacity, the more mirrow effect. The less flow value, the more clear edge of the puddle. I don't like to have clear edges, the puddles don't look realistic:

This is the Magescq track puddle file, I did it fast and with for testing intention and at the end, I kept the same file :)

Save as TGA

Aritz

June 30, 2011, 07:38:32 PM #1 Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:26:25 PM by Aritz
Second part 3dMax (thanks to Schwoni)

First you have to select all the track parts which you want to add the puddles: Tracks, pits, parking... The kerbs can be added too, but usually they have other type of puddle, just in the joint of the track and the kerb because of the V form of the kerb.

You can play with the UW parameters (width and lenght) if you want big or small puddles (it depends on your puddle.tga file)

Open map editor (M) and don't forget to use the second map channel ;)

EVO

cool i want to see the final product cant wait
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

franmedo

February 08, 2012, 06:32:57 PM #3 Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:41:54 PM by franmedo
Hey i have a question

On the left you can see the in max the material map channel 2 on glosiness of trkasph material and the alpha channel of the texture. But on the right you can see how it looks ingame! It only looks on the road so bad, on kerbs for example it looks perfect!  Please help me :(

Cloudheaven

EVO

franmedo you have to plat with the tiling in the UVW map modifer settings i use 20 x 20 and greater
It also depends on the mesh so you may need alot more or alot less.
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

franmedo

February 09, 2012, 09:14:13 AM #6 Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:41:48 AM by franmedo
I FOUND THE PROBLEM! but i dont know how to fix it:P
I have tire skids on opacity and puddles on glossiness. When i delete the opacity skids it works fine ingame! Piboso please help, you tracks also have puddles and tire skids :/

Snappe

Can you try making the RGB channel of the puddles blank white, and make sure that the skids texture doesn't have an alpha channel

franmedo

February 09, 2012, 06:25:56 PM #8 Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:34:02 PM by franmedo
Skids without alpha channel? But then its just black? How do you mean?

edit: YES it works, thanks a lot, pretty tricky stuff!

Snappe

I mean put the skids texture in the RGB channel and delete the alpha. So it worked?

franmedo