• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:50:10 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Track slowdown

Started by Nitrox, June 08, 2011, 12:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitrox

I am currently working on a small Austrian karting track and experienced another problem today. I decided to post it in this thread, because i think it has something to do with the track creation rules concerning object names etc. The problem is, that I experience a strong slow down in a certain passage of the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9aVldFx0zM

I had this Issue several times and I don't really know how to fix this. First it occured when I only had the track itself and did some testing. I first thought it has something to do with overlapping polygons of my merged tracks (Bobs Track Builder). Re-merging some of them solved the problem.

Then it happened a second time, this time I had to remove an additional "surface" on one of the tracks in BTB. My theory was that you could see the downside oft the track and that this caused the problem (no terrain had been added back then and I added camber to a track with the additional surface).

Now I exported the track for testing and it worked first. Then I realised that I forgot to give a grass object a correct name (on the other side of the track, not where the lag occurs) and I fell through the grass, so I renamed a few objects in 3Ds Max. This was all I did, no editing in BTB this time, so I think the mistake has something to do with the object names in 3Ds Max. There are no double objects with same names. I used: TRKASPH_objectXX; TRKGRAS_grassXX; TRKSOIL_objectXX; TRKSAND_sandXX; TRKBASPH_object XX; DECAL_objectXX; TRKKERB_objectXX;

Please, PiBoSo, what's wrong with my track?

Thanks in advance!

PiBoSo

Quote from: Nitrox on June 08, 2011, 12:40:04 PM
I am currently working on a small Austrian karting track and experienced another problem today. I decided to post it in this thread, because i think it has something to do with the track creation rules concerning object names etc. The problem is, that I experience a strong slow down in a certain passage of the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9aVldFx0zM

I had this Issue several times and I don't really know how to fix this. First it occured when I only had the track itself and did some testing. I first thought it has something to do with overlapping polygons of my merged tracks (Bobs Track Builder). Re-merging some of them solved the problem.

Then it happened a second time, this time I had to remove an additional "surface" on one of the tracks in BTB. My theory was that you could see the downside oft the track and that this caused the problem (no terrain had been added back then and I added camber to a track with the additional surface).

Now I exported the track for testing and it worked first. Then I realised that I forgot to give a grass object a correct name (on the other side of the track, not where the lag occurs) and I fell through the grass, so I renamed a few objects in 3Ds Max. This was all I did, no editing in BTB this time, so I think the mistake has something to do with the object names in 3Ds Max. There are no double objects with same names. I used: TRKASPH_objectXX; TRKGRAS_grassXX; TRKSOIL_objectXX; TRKSAND_sandXX; TRKBASPH_object XX; DECAL_objectXX; TRKKERB_objectXX;

Please, PiBoSo, what's wrong with my track?

Thanks in advance!

It's difficult to guess from a video.
Could you please post a wireframe of the troublesome part?
Please note that the exporter converts all objects, including hidden ones.
A screenshot from TrackEd could be useful, too.

Nitrox

Thanks for your answer.

http://imageshack.us/g/171/tracked.jpg/

The thinner objects laying on track are my skidmarks. I use DECAL_ Prefix for them.

Some of the corners of my terrein may not be merged exactly to the tracks, could this cause the problem? Again I do not understand why this problem occured again after just renaming some objects in Max...

I use export settings from this guide: http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=196.0

PiBoSo

Are the DECAL_ objects collidable?

Nitrox

No they are not, at least they re not intended to be collidable. I just tried decal prefix because they are slightly above the track and I thought it might fix this. When I first tested them I did not set any prefix and it worked too. I do not know if decal prefix changed anything, because since I added the terrain you do not realise that the marks are slightly above the track. This was just because they overlapped the track border without terrain. Just wanted to do it te correct way and added decal prefix.

By the way, slowdown appeared even before I added those objects...

What does Decal_ prefix do exactly? Is there a limit for used objects? Schould I add any nonracing prefix to grass?

Nitrox

Push!

As I see many WIP Tracks, I wonder f someone experienced this problem too.

Aritz

It looks like you have too many objects/polygons in that area. Are they correct? But the screenshots are not so clear I have to say.

Nitrox

June 17, 2011, 04:06:43 PM #7 Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:33:07 PM by Nitrox
What do you mean by correct objects?

The point is, that I don't really know what to look for, because I don't know what could cause such a slowdown. I will try to rebuild some of the terrain in the affected area, maybe that helps.

Except from overlapping tracks everything should be clean - no overlapping polygons etc. There could be, however, some small gaps between the track surface and terrain in some corners, because of the way I merged the tracks. What really confuses me is that, as I wrote before, I didn't change anything in BTB when it stopped working. Just renamed some objects in 3Ds Max.

Edit 18.06.:

Rebuilt a grass object and flattened some terrain. As always, I don't know why, but now it works :) Hope this does not occur another time. Thanks for your answers!

EVO

did you make the track entirely in 3d max?  looks great the driving surface texture transitions is very nice
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

Nitrox

Completly done with BTB ;) it looks quite okay I think, but it's not the best looking track.

Hope I will find some time to finish it, I'm quite busy at the moment.