• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

3D Kerbs: How to Avoid the Unanswered "Off Throttle" Bug

Started by Birel-Rotax 42, May 09, 2018, 12:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birel-Rotax 42

Hi all, after a couple tests of 3d kerbs, I've found a way to have beautiful outside kerbs that are also functional.

The method involves 3ds Max's path deform modifier, which you use to deform your kerb to a spline on the edge of the track. When you model your 3d kerb, also model a plane that has about as many length vertices. This makes sure that the surfaces are a match for each other when using the path deform modifer. It should look something like this:

You will use path deform and then collapse the modifier to leave you with just an editable poly. From there, I recommend shifting the plane down by 0.0025m, as seen in the picture:

This is a good balance between usable runoff and realistic handling on kerbs.

Name both objects "TRKKERB"

When exporting, export the .trp file with both the kerb and plane present. When exporting the .map file, export only with the 3d kerb, without the plane on top.

For 3d inside kerbs, it is probably best to make the plane lay above the 3d modeled surface to avoid the kart's chassis catching on the 3d geometry. It should look something like this:

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions!

Ozzy_UK

AidenKempf

Quote from: Birel-Rotax 42 on May 09, 2018, 12:12:39 AM
Hi all, after a couple tests of 3d kerbs, I've found a way to have beautiful outside kerbs that are also functional.

The method involves 3ds Max's path deform modifier, which you use to deform your kerb to a spline on the edge of the track. When you model your 3d kerb, also model a plane that has about as many length vertices. This makes sure that the surfaces are a match for each other when using the path deform modifer. It should look something like this:

You will use path deform and then collapse the modifier to leave you with just an editable poly. From there, I recommend shifting the plane down by 0.0025m, as seen in the picture:

This is a good balance between usable runoff and realistic handling on kerbs.

Name both objects "TRKKERB"

When exporting, export the .trp file with both the kerb and plane present. When exporting the .map file, export only with the 3d kerb, without the plane on top.

For 3d inside kerbs, it is probably best to make the plane lay above the 3d modeled surface to avoid the kart's chassis catching on the 3d geometry. It should look something like this:

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions!
Was the curb under the bridge pf??
They say nothing is impossible but i do nothing every day