Author Topic: HTC Vive ( SteamVR )  (Read 1824 times)

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
HTC Vive ( SteamVR )
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
To enable Vive support, download the file openvr.zip and unpack it in the Kart Racing Pro installation folder.

While on track, press Left Ctrl + R to reset the camera tracking position.

HTC Vive support should work with the demo version, too.

Known bugs:
- transparent asphalt in the user interface

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:52:27 PM by PiBoSo »

teeds

• View Profile
Re: HTC Vive ( SteamVR )
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
Just tried the demo and it launches in the Vive ok, but i could not go to testing as the button was inaccessible to the mouse pointer. As soon as the pointer gets close to the "Testing" button it started interacting with my desktop instead, the same is true for the entire bottom menu bar and a block on the left side.

Also the menu screens turned up about 3 feet left of my sitting position, might be because of my SteamVR seated settings but a reset to centre would be handy there too if possible.

Win10
Nvidia GTX 980Ti

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:14:17 AM by teeds »

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
Just tried the demo and it launches in the Vive ok, but i could not go to training as the button was inaccessible to the mouse pointer. As soon as the pointer gets close to the "Training" button it started interacting with my desktop instead, the same is true for the entire bottom menu bar and a block on the left side.

Thank you for the report.
The Kart Racing Pro window should be as big as the desktop, to prevent the mouse pointer from going out of bounds.

teeds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:24:30 AM »
It's like the top of the KRP menu bar was the edge of my desktop but did not include my task bar. The pointer emerged straight onto my task bar leaving the pointer in game frozen just above the menu bar until you move it back up, unless you clicked and launched a random program from the task bar loosing game focus. Obviously had to End Task on the game each time to quit.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
It's like the top of the KRP menu bar was the edge of my desktop but did not include my task bar. The pointer emerged straight onto my task bar leaving the pointer in game frozen just above the menu bar until you move it back up, unless you clicked and launched a random program from the task bar loosing game focus. Obviously had to End Task on the game each time to quit.

Have you tested other software supporting the Vive?
Should KRP start fullscreen?

teeds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
Have you tested other software supporting the Vive?

Yes have several other games that work fine, but not sure I can think of a Vive title that uses a menu like KRPs, i.e. a floating game menu in the Vive default VR area (not sure how relevant that might be?). I think every other Vive title launched from SteamVR was while wearing the HMD and most use the tracked controller as a pointer, no mouse needed. Only other non Steam title I've used is Live for Speed but I can't remember how the menus worked (no tracked controllers so must have been mouse) as it was a while ago, but it worked fine. Can test later.

Should KRP start fullscreen?

A 360 KRP dome instead of the default Vive one would be handy but not essential, if that's what you mean. Initially after launching KRP I wasn't sure it had launched into VR because as said it put the menu way to my side, and side on that 2d menu was not so easy to see. So a branded 360 dome would make it obvious. The only other clue that it's launched in VR mode is that the desktop game screen although blank was in windowed mode. Thinking of spectating, will the desktop window show the game once playing? It isn't showing the menu currently.

Just read the Rift supports the demo too, so i'll try that later to see if it's the same.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:19:19 PM by teeds »

teeds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »
OK for me a fix for the Vive is to make my taskbar auto hide, then menu buttons in game work. Task bar always on top is going a bit too far eh...  :)

teeds

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 07:57:11 PM »
Had a good drive around with the demo in VR now and it's great fun, looks even better with super-sampling at 2. One problem though only with the Vive, the world scaling is off  as unfortunately everything is too small. I felt like a very large head sat on the seat   8)

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:26:42 PM »
Had a good drive around with the demo in VR now and it's great fun, looks even better with super-sampling at 2. One problem though only with the Vive, the world scaling is off  as unfortunately everything is too small. I felt like a very large head sat on the seat   8)

Does it look like the FOV, horizontal and vertical, is correct?

teeds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:50:12 PM »
Yes everything seemed in proportion, just needs smaller, is it, IPD? You got the Rift version spot on.

bobthemac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »
I have just tried this out and come out with a few bugs as teeds said the scale is off by quite a bit. I also had issues with the camera rest presing Ctrl + R only resets in a vertical axis, I expected it to work kind of like project cars where it recenters the whole view where you are looking. Another bug is that you cannot configure a steering wheel in the settings menu whilst in VR when you click done the game just crashes. Finally don't know if this is related to VR but the game crashed with an assertion when I spun of to the grass I will do some more testing to get the exact error.

bobthemac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 08:57:47 PM »
In addition to teeds talk about starting fullscreen I thunk I should I use project cars quite a bit and that works in the same way with the floating menu but the menu in centred on where you are looking no to the left, but everything even when driving was shifted to the left about 90 degrees.

teeds

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »
I also had issues with the camera rest pressing Ctrl + R only resets in a vertical axis, I expected it to work kind of like project cars where it recenters the whole view where you are looking.

I found the reset worked fine for me bob? In the long run I hope we can set the reset view button to the controller, when using a wheel my keyboard is in a position that makes it tricky to get center set correctly.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
I have just tried this out and come out with a few bugs as teeds said the scale is off by quite a bit. I also had issues with the camera rest presing Ctrl + R only resets in a vertical axis, I expected it to work kind of like project cars where it recenters the whole view where you are looking. Another bug is that you cannot configure a steering wheel in the settings menu whilst in VR when you click done the game just crashes. Finally don't know if this is related to VR but the game crashed with an assertion when I spun of to the grass I will do some more testing to get the exact error.

Thank you for the report.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »

openvr.zip updated.

Changelog:
- updated to OpenVR SDK 1.03
- fixed the rotation and position of the user interface
- hopefully fixed the world scale