• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:48:14 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

[WIP] OuluZone

Started by Dragoon, June 28, 2016, 01:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

June 28, 2016, 01:02:56 PM Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:26:57 PM by LauZzZn
I am working on OuluZone karting track which was opened for racing this spring. Track is located in Oulu, Finland.

My work is only at very very early stages as you can see but comments and help are always welcome :). I was lucky enough to get the official blueprints of the track  8).

I might need to rework the pit lane (possibly as terrain) as I am having trouble making it align properly to the track.

Here are some videos from the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEm8eQdVMZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUKM-9Wumk4

More pics coming along the way.

LauZzZn

Feel free to contact me when you need help with BTB ( or ask here )
Have you decreased the panel length?
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

Dragoon

June 28, 2016, 07:19:42 PM #2 Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:09:38 PM by Dragoon
Quote from: LauZzZn on June 28, 2016, 03:43:31 PM
Have you decreased the panel length?

You mean when connecting pit lane or in general? Yes, I ave fiddled with the panel length. EDIT: Ahh, I probably misunderstood you, I found this tutorial, you mean panel length in curves? That I haven't changed so far. But I got the pit lane connected (as a separate track) so that it looks OK in BTB, but haven't tested in-game yet.

I practiced with mapping the background images as terrain texture. Will need to redo them with higher quality later on, but at least I know how I can get the images rotated and matched on the terrain :).

Next step would probably be to model the service lanes, getting the terrain to somewhat correct height and adding kerbs and other objects...

Dragoon

I merged few images taken from a drone together. I think the circled spots will be the most challenging ones to get correctly texture wise.

LauZzZn

June 28, 2016, 11:20:45 PM #4 Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:36:43 PM by LauZzZn
I suggest only making the track using the road tool. Make them by hand using terrain, then you dont have to connect anything and then there is no flickering in Kartracing Pro, which happens if you do it like in rF tutorials, as it doesnt work in KRP. I can upload some pictures later on

Also, decreasing the panel length to 1 (or lower) is necessary! Otherwise the track will be super lowpoly

Edit: You can see it halfway decent on this picture how I done it. Its much easier and faster

2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Dragoon

June 29, 2016, 12:11:08 AM #5 Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:00:44 AM by Dragoon
Ok, I'll ditch the pit lane track and go for terrain solution instead. Thanks a lot for the help :).

Also, I stumbled on 3DSimED, I understand it can be used to "polish" the track? Is this info still valid? What is the actual benefit of it? Maybe I just download it and try it out =). If I buy the license for version 3, is it valid for the older version (1 or 2?) which seemingly is better/easier for using with KRP tracks?

LauZzZn

The version doesnt matter. Actually, you only convert the track to 3ds max (2010) which is necessary to get the track into Kartracing Pro. But it makes conversion process a lot faster! Absolute suggestion for it. Version doesnt matter for the conversion process. I also suggest making only the track, terrain, kerbs and string objects in BTB, and the rest (also most cleanup, texturing, adding buildings etc) in 3ds max, as its a lot more efficient, faster and more comfortable there
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Dragoon

Ok, sounds nice. I'll install and try it out. And if its good, I'll get the license for continued use.

As for the pit lane, I ended up adding a terrain around the pit lane track, then delete the track and fill it up with terrain. That way the pit lane was already at the correct shape, height etc.

Dragoon

So did I understand correctly that the benefit of 3DSimED is that I don't have to do all the multimaterial conversion by hand? So the workflow would be: Bob's track builder (track, terrain and kerbs) -> 3DSimED (texture conversion) -> 3DSMax (clean up, texture, add objects) -> KRP ?

LauZzZn

Yes.
Very nice idea with the terrain pit lane! If you already did the road of course the pit lane is very nice and easier to work with than with the road itself :)
Texture conversion using 3dsimed takes about 5minutes. Depending on the track the process in 3ds max takes hours!
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Dragoon

I remade the pit lane once more. Created 3 tracks, then added small terrain plots on both sides of all tracks and deleted the tracks. Then filled up with terrain again 8)

Dragoon

June 29, 2016, 09:10:42 PM #11 Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:30:24 PM by Dragoon
The two middle service ways I made purely on terrain. It was quite easy and fast after you become familiar with the terrain modification tools, merging, splitting etc. Although there is probably quite a bit of cleaning up to do as seen on the wireframe.

LauZzZn

Wireframe looks alright, the pit lane might be a bit high poly, its not really necessary.

Has the track any elevations? Its necessary to to the elevations before any terrainwork.

Track looks good so far and I am happy to see someone trying to make a track himself! (Y)
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Dragoon

Yeah, the track has elevations according to what I could see from the cad drawings. Sadly it did not contain the corner camber information so I will need to work that out corner by corner and by feeling compared to the videos and my own feelings of the track :). Currently I've just thrown in some corner camber, they might need adjustment later on. Do you think it's a problem that I have the terrain done to this point? Mostly the terrain elevations are missing currently. Should I now export it to game and tune in the corner cambers and elevation before continuing to terrain work?

I'll reduce the pit lane poly count, should be straight forward thing to do.

LauZzZn

You will have to completely redo the terrain after any kind of elevation or camber work :/
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3