• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:31:31 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Kart COG or Tyre Edge Grip?

Started by RockBinkie, February 12, 2016, 12:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockBinkie

Hi Piboso

I have built my home track and have been playing it a lot, this could be a part of the problem of course.

Anyway as I have been working on the setup, I have found that raising the ride height has generated more grip (as you would expect) and made for better laptimes in this case.
However I am at times able to roll the kart over at corner entry. This is a very fast roll over too - I lift off the brakes, and as I turn in the kart will lift up on the inside and just keep going over from there, as even when it is at a 45deg angle it still seems to be making enough grip to provide that roll over torque.

As seen in this video:
https://youtu.be/vCXWSWEA6eY

I thought about the issue and two thoughts came to mind:
1) Centre-of-gravity must be higher than expected to generate such a large torque to roll the kart
2) Once the kart starts rolling, tyre contact patch should decrease enough for the 2 wheels still touching the ground to slip and drop the kart back down, rather than sustain the amount of torque required to continue rolling the kart over.

I am no expert in this subject matter, but in my life I have only rolled a kart once - and that was due to a bearing carrier failure which careened me over a banking. It is hard to do and experiencing it just from the normal forces during corner entry in KRP struck me as unusual! Naturally I thought it would be right to mention, as this sim is great and I like the way it is improving all the time, it would be great to contribute to such a good project and so here I am posting about a potential for improvement :)

Please see video in the link, and the setup I used in that video provided as an attachment. I can attach the track files if you want to do some of your own testing too.

Cheers,
RockBinkie

Cory_Hayes

Lower your ride height back down to standard, add grip depending where you want it with other settings, personally I try keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

PiBoSo

RockBinkie

Quote from: Cory_Hayes on February 12, 2016, 01:29:05 AM
Lower your ride height back down to standard, add grip depending where you want it with other settings, personally I try keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
Thanks Cory

I know I can do this, but I am here to point out the physics bug more so than find a setup work around :)

EVO

I think CG is the universal abbreviation for center of gravity.
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

RockBinkie

No, it isn't for people who speak English as a second language.