• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:19:57 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Help with my home track

Started by RockBinkie, January 01, 2016, 03:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockBinkie

Hi all

This is my first time building an asset for any game.

I have made my home kart track with RTB, it works great with Assetto Corsa and geometrically and graphically looks great - but really I built it so I could play it in Kart Racing Pro.
This is where the issues arise for me - I'm finding it quite a challenge to make the conversion. Assetto Corsa was very easy to make a track for, but perhaps KRP falls into the advanced category? (or I am noob - this is definitely half the problem)

The software I have available is:
- Blender
- 3DsimED 3
- Race Track Builder

All tutorials I've looked at say I need 3DSmax - I cannot afford this, is it possible to do with the tools mentioned above?

Could a very helpful person here outline the exact steps (in noob language) that I need to take to make this happen?
I would like the make this model available to all members of my kart club (and all KRP players too of course!) so that they can play our track on Kart Racing Pro at home.

Thanks,
RockBinkie

evolution-kart

Quote from: RockBinkie on January 01, 2016, 03:41:12 AM

All tutorials I've looked at say I need 3DSmax - I cannot afford this, is it possible to do with the tools mentioned above?

It is right, you need 3ds max to export the files for krp.

Steven

January 01, 2016, 06:30:47 PM #2 Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:51:56 PM by Steven
Hi RockBinkie,

it's possible to export from Blender (for example) using the fbx2edf converter. It's included in the Track Tools (http://kartracing-pro.com/downloads/tt.zip).

If you already have the track in Blender you will basically have to

• name your objects according to the Track Creation Rules (http://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php/Track_Creation_Rules)
  • export the track to .fbx (the settings in the picutre below work)
  • use the fbx2edf converter to get a .trp and a .map file
  • set up the file structure and use TrackEd to create the race data (pit, grid and so on)

I don't know what you get out of RTB (materials for example) so maybe there would be some more things to change.
You could also start small and create a plane and simple objects in Blender to export to KRP to understand the process (it's not very difficult).

Also the links DRkarter97 posted should help. They contain a lot of information not only regarding 3ds max.

Just try from here or give some more details about what format the track is in and what kind of export options you have from RTB and 3D SimEd (I don't really know those programs).
Just ask if you have any further questions.

Edit:
In the attached picture FBX 6.1 ASCII is used. I recently noticed that it's possible to use "FBX 7.4 Binary" as well. It is more up to date and uses the texture applied with material instead of the texture loaded in the UV/Image Editor (as "ASCII" does). "Binary" uses a scale of 1.

PiBoSo

Quote from: evolution-kart on January 01, 2016, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: RockBinkie on January 01, 2016, 03:41:12 AM

It is right, you need 3ds max to export the files for krp.

Any program that can export to FBX should work.

RockBinkie

Hi guys

Thanks for all your help. I have had a bit of time to work on this over the last week.

KRP is loading my track, but it is pitch black. Any clues as to what I've done wrong to cause this?
I figure I must have missed something to do with lighting as I can drive my kart forward and smash into some object.

Cory_Hayes

the AMB file, name it to the name of your track.

and depending on what track tool version you are using, you might need to make your track textures TGA's or BMP's

evolution-kart

You have to name right your objects like "TRKASPH..." for the track and "TRKGRAS..." for the grass and so.

RockBinkie

Thanks for your replies guys

I have made sure these things are right already :)

Guess it couldn't hurt to check my object names again in case I have made a typo!
My textures are all .tga's with 2^x resolutions
My AMB file has the same name as my .trp file

I have reused the skydomes from lonato, but I've just found out they don't display in mapview, perhaps that could be an issue?

For good measure though I guess I should ask, I have named all my objects as TRKASPH_0001, _0002, etc
Would my suffix be causing an issue?

Thanks for all the suggestions, once I get it loading correctly I will work on getting it looking real good and hopefully make it available :) in the end, my goal is to produce all the tracks I've raced on in NZ to make them available to the rest of the world.

RockBinkie

Thanks DRKarter that fixed it :)

And wow my scale is way out haha. Glad that's not too hard to fix!