• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:03 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

FA Kart and Top Kart Comparison

Started by Myles Rowe Top Kart #6, November 07, 2014, 07:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xander Clements

Quote from: Myles Rowe Top Kart #6 on November 11, 2014, 02:01:40 PM
Thanks guys for all your help, I think since I don't have a lot of money I am probably going to stick with the Top Kart unless I get sponsored. If I do get sponsored I think I am going to get and FA Kart and join J3 Competition for 2015. Thanks again.

Finally off my unneeded forum ban from here, hopefully I am not too late and can shed some light on some things.

1) While personally I do believe that an OTK chassis has a better out-of-the-box setup at American tracks, it is not going to give you anything more than a tenth to two tenths at most, unless you are racing in Rotax on Mojos, where setup is more key as you have less grip to work with.
2) Since you are on a Top Kart and under the Top Kart USA tent at nationals, you should be comparing yourself to the best driver in your class under the tent. In this case, those two top guns are Zach Holden and David Malukas, and your last race at New Castle they both were far ahead of you.
3) This leads me to my next point. While you say you've had some "success" at locals, you have to understand that in your situation at GoPro Motorplex, the X30 blows the Leopard out of the water. In the Senior classes it is a good 5-8 tenths of a second with the weights being balanced by 10-20 pounds, because the track is all mid-range. It does not have super long straightaways like New Castle, nor does it have super low end corners like at Beaverun. The X30 has most of the capabilites of a Leopard, but the Leopard has no mid-range when compared to other TaGs, and since the X30 does, it is extremely overpowered there. On top of this, in Juniors the X30 Jr package is already faster than the Leopard even at non mid-range dominating tracks, I.E. Braden Eves being 7 tenths off Saturday at WKA and near your speed on his Leopard, then switching to an X30 on Sunday and being over half a second up on the field in lap times. What am I getting at? Neil Verhagen does not own an X30, and if he does he doesn't care enough for local events to switch out motors every time from his national Leopards for SKUSA and WKA. This is why you can keep up with him and Anthony Gangi, because at Mooresville, without any weight balancing, the X30 is a good second faster than any Leopard.

Then, when you go to WKA Nationals, you are off the pace because everyone there has an X30. Literally, every driver in the field. So, when in a level-playing field, you are far off pace, and blaming it on the chassis. I think you need to focus more on your driving and improving that before you start comparing chassis brands as to why you are so far off. Once you get to David Malukas's pace at any given track, then you can begin to blame a Top Kart if you are still far off.

P.S. J3 Competition just made the official announcement that they will be fielding their own chassis, a Comp Kart, in 2015, and they will probably no longer support any OTKs under the tent. Also, if you're wondering if it was an FA Kart that made Braden fast, then don't kid yourself. All OTKs are the same, and there is no reason to choose one color of paint over the other.

tebbers14

Quote from: Xander Clements on November 14, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
Thanks guys for all your help, I think since I don't have a lot of money I am probably going to stick with the Top Kart unless I get sponsored. If I do get sponsored I think I am going to get and FA Kart and join J3 Competition for 2015. Thanks again.

Finally off my unneeded forum ban from here, hopefully I am not too late and can shed some light on some things.

1) While personally I do believe that an OTK chassis has a better out-of-the-box setup at American tracks, it is not going to give you anything more than a tenth to two tenths at most, unless you are racing in Rotax on Mojos, where setup is more key as you have less grip to work with.
2) Since you are on a Top Kart and under the Top Kart USA tent at nationals, you should be comparing yourself to the best driver in your class under the tent. In this case, those two top guns are Zach Holden and David Malukas, and your last race at New Castle they both were far ahead of you.
3) This leads me to my next point. While you say you've had some "success" at locals, you have to understand that in your situation at GoPro Motorplex, the X30 blows the Leopard out of the water. In the Senior classes it is a good 5-8 tenths of a second with the weights being balanced by 10-20 pounds, because the track is all mid-range. It does not have super long straightaways like New Castle, nor does it have super low end corners like at Beaverun. The X30 has most of the capabilites of a Leopard, but the Leopard has no mid-range when compared to other TaGs, and since the X30 does, it is extremely overpowered there. On top of this, in Juniors the X30 Jr package is already faster than the Leopard even at non mid-range dominating tracks, I.E. Braden Eves being 7 tenths off Saturday at WKA and near your speed on his Leopard, then switching to an X30 on Sunday and being over half a second up on the field in lap times. What am I getting at? Neil Verhagen does not own an X30, and if he does he doesn't care enough for local events to switch out motors every time from his national Leopards for SKUSA and WKA. This is why you can keep up with him and Anthony Gangi, because at Mooresville, without any weight balancing, the X30 is a good second faster than any Leopard.

Then, when you go to WKA Nationals, you are off the pace because everyone there has an X30. Literally, every driver in the field. So, when in a level-playing field, you are far off pace, and blaming it on the chassis. I think you need to focus more on your driving and improving that before you start comparing chassis brands as to why you are so far off. Once you get to David Malukas's pace at any given track, then you can begin to blame a Top Kart if you are still far off.

P.S. J3 Competition just made the official announcement that they will be fielding their own chassis, a Comp Kart, in 2015, and they will probably no longer support any OTKs under the tent. Also, if you're wondering if it was an FA Kart that made Braden fast, then don't kid yourself. All OTKs are the same, and there is no reason to choose one color of paint over the other.

If you race with MOBLOWS, might be the chassis

If you have ANY OTHER tire, not the kart. Top karts are good with low track grip with a good tire. Thats why Malukas and Holden are so fast.

Reference: My experience with Rotax and Leopard

Myles Rowe Top Kart #6

Thanks Xander for the info and Neil does race with the X30 motor at GoPro Motorplex just fyi. Thanks  ;D
Sincerely,

Myles Rowe

Xander Clements

Quote from: Myles Rowe Top Kart #6 on November 18, 2014, 11:43:33 PM

Thanks Xander for the info and Neil does race with the X30 motor at GoPro Motorplex just fyi. Thanks  ;D

My apologies about that. I only saw the one picture of him and Gangi on your instagram both running Leopards.

blake_hunt

In reference to the first post in this topic, OTK is better, no doubt.
Kartsport FA - Rok/X30 Senior - Mooresville, NC

PROUD KK BETA TESTER

blake_hunt

Quote from: DRkarter97 on February 15, 2015, 10:21:28 PM
Quote from: blake_hunt on February 15, 2015, 08:55:28 PM
In reference to the first post in this topic, OTK is better, no doubt.

*In reference to the first post from 4 months ago

I know the kid, and know he still has a Top Kart...  ;)
Kartsport FA - Rok/X30 Senior - Mooresville, NC

PROUD KK BETA TESTER