• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:45:49 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

RFT/BTB Exporter - Help Needed

Started by ChrisTimps, September 12, 2013, 12:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisTimps

To speed up the process of exporting tracks from rFactor and Bob's Track Builder to KRP I've written a set of tools that almost entirely automate the process. I'll be sharing these tools here and on GitHub if anybody is interested.

However, for now the tools still have a dependence on 3DS Max being installed on the user's machine. I could get round this requirement (and eventually past the entire 3DS file format entirely) if I had knowledge of the file format / specification for KRPs binary-based track files.

If anybody could supply me with information about the structure of the KRP track files I would hugely appreciate it! Also, if anybody happens to have similar information regarding rFactor's GMT file format that would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Chris

Clova414

I can't help you with the information on your project, but this is music to my ears I'll be able to create so many tracks it's ridiculous once this happens, I already have 10 waiting on conversion...

LauZzZn

i would help you and i think i could but i dont understand your text.. i am running out of my english know-how.
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

ChrisTimps

Quote from: LauZzZn on September 12, 2013, 01:25:29 PM
i would help you and i think i could but i dont understand your text.. i am running out of my english know-how.

Sorry! I'll try give more details with an example:

Each track on KRP has its own folder (or .pkz file), which contains the following files:

• mesh (.edf): Skydome files.
  • map (.map): Describes track geometry, textures and lighting.
  • collision (.trp): Holds collision data for the track.

I'd like to know how each of these file types are encoded (i.e. The first 4 bytes are the name of the object).

LauZzZn

2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Aritz

This is not the way.

You should make easier the conversion from multimaterial to standard material. Now it has to be done manually and it takes hours (there are 50-200 materials)

But there are problems which I don't think they can be done easily: You have to select track parts and rename them. But how are you going to do? Is your program able to know what is asphalt, what is ground, what is a tyre, etc?

LauZzZn

Quote from: Aritz on September 12, 2013, 07:34:39 PM
This is not the way.

You should make easier the conversion from multimaterial to standard material. Now it has to be done manually and it takes hours (there are 50-200 materials)

But there are problems which I don't think they can be done easily: You have to select track parts and rename them. But how are you going to do? Is your program able to know what is asphalt, what is ground, what is a tyre, etc?
if you use 3ds to convert then i think the only problem for me are the textures. renaming is easy and only takes half hour and for finetung one more half hour. guess thats not the problem
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

ChrisTimps

Quote from: Aritz on September 12, 2013, 07:34:39 PM
This is not the way.

Well, usually your track parts follow a naming convention in rFactor; failing that you can use a simple neural network or bayesian classifier to discern between texture groups also. The plan is on having the program present each texture to you (along with its name) and you select which group it belongs to from a set of options below (with the ability to have the computer predict the majority of the textures and make use of user input to correct and retrain the classifier).

Aritz

I am not an rFactor track builder but I saw a few and they are not using the same format as KRP needs. Track is divided by parts, which have the different surfaces mixed (at least the names). So you have 20 pieces of the track and each part has 3 different surfaces BUT they are called road19 and they are 1 object, no asphalt19 + kerb19 + grass19. As you say, the only way to divide those roadXX objects in smaller pieces is using their texture.

If you solve this, your converter program should be a good program :)

PiBoSo

Quote from: ChrisTimps on September 12, 2013, 12:16:24 PM
To speed up the process of exporting tracks from rFactor and Bob's Track Builder to KRP I've written a set of tools that almost entirely automate the process. I'll be sharing these tools here and on GitHub if anybody is interested.

However, for now the tools still have a dependence on 3DS Max being installed on the user's machine. I could get round this requirement (and eventually past the entire 3DS file format entirely) if I had knowledge of the file format / specification for KRPs binary-based track files.

If anybody could supply me with information about the structure of the KRP track files I would hugely appreciate it! Also, if anybody happens to have similar information regarding rFactor's GMT file format that would be helpful too.

Thanks!
Chris

A command line FBX exporter is in progress.
If you can save to FBX format, that should help the conversion process.

ChrisTimps

Quote from: PiBoSo on September 16, 2013, 06:41:48 PM
A command line FBX exporter is in progress.
If you can save to FBX format, that should help the conversion process.

Awesome! That shouldn't be a problem :)

DjFIL

Any progress on this?  A BTB straight to KRP exporter would be amazing!

fmaisonnave

Quote from: DjFIL on October 21, 2013, 06:20:48 AM
+1

mattrix_6996

:o Yea and 1 out of every 50 tracks released would be worth having then, like Rfactor.

DjFIL

Quote from: mattrix_6996 on October 22, 2013, 12:21:16 AM

:o Yea and 1 out of every 50 tracks released would be worth having then, like Rfactor.
Lol... yes this is always a problem.  If we had a good database of tracks, where users could vote for their favorites (like rFactor central) that would help filter the good and bad creations.  But anything to make it easier for the average guy to create/convert tracks to KRP, that's good news... and less "will you make\convert that track for me".