• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Suggestion: kart/chassis/engine restructure

Started by Nathan Dunnett, May 05, 2013, 03:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Dunnett

I was thinking about how we only have a handful of chassis here and how if the chassis files were to be unencrypted it could get messy with 3rd party mods, so here is my suggestion. Instead of have 'kart' mods, we could have 'class' mods where the class sets the rules and you select the chassis, tyres, engine, etc based on the class rules. I'll use a Tony Kart/Vortex/KZ1 with control dry and wet tyre as an example, something like this with the following parameters could be good:

Chassis
chassis_id = tkracer
chassis_name = Tony Kart Racer EVK
year = 2013
bodywork = tonykart

front_brakes_hand = 1 // you can fit KF style front brakes to this kart
front_brakes_foot = 1 // you can fit KZ style front brakes to this kart

*brakes details*

axle30 = 0 // you can't use 30mm axles, there are no suitable bearing carriers
axle40 = 1 // you can use 40mm axles
axle50 = 1 // you can use 50mm axles

*chassis details*

Engine
engine_id = vortexkz
engine_name = Vortex RVXX
category = kz1

*engine details*

Tyres
tyre_id = mgfz
tyre_name = MG FZ
category = CIKM

*tyre details*

Class
class_id = kz1
class_name = KZ1

engine_control = 2 // 0 = list of engines, 1 = single engine, 2 = category of engines
engine = kz1

tyre_control = 0 // 0 = list of tyres, 1 = single tyre, 2 = category of tyres
tyre = mgfz, mgwz

chassis_control = 0 // 0 = any suitable chassis, 1 = single chassis, 2 = list of chassis
chassis = // not applicable, open chassis

front brakes = 2 // 0 = none, 1 = hand, 2 = foot

minimum weight = 175 // automatically adds correct amount of ballast, allow the user to position ballast in setups

-------------------------------------------

That's just a very rough example, but this way you can set up the classes, then as engines and chassis are added nothing extra will need to be modified for them to work. It does kinda add loopholes for people to make super engines to use in a class however mismatching should take care of that, or you could just list the engines to use instead of using the category method. At least it's only one file that would need to be changed for extra engines. Thoughts?

vancstar

I like this idea because you should be able to run a chassis of your choosing, unless it is a control class ;)

in real life I have a 2002 Aurora Chassis 28mm 40mm axle and I run a KF2 engine on MG reds. We should be able to have free practice where you can run any combo of chassis axle hubs tyres engines and so on and classes with control engines and tyres or open classes with a variety of engines used as well.

I come from a Nascar2003/rfactor & rFactor2 background and you definitely need to have quite a few options available to set up races for this 1 style of vehicle(Kart specific) title to work well ;) IMHO

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: vancstar on May 24, 2013, 03:01:56 PM
I like this idea because you should be able to run a chassis of your choosing, unless it is a control class ;)

in real life I have a 2002 Aurora Chassis 28mm 40mm axle and I run a KF2 engine on MG reds. We should be able to have free practice where you can run any combo of chassis axle hubs tyres engines and so on and classes with control engines and tyres or open classes with a variety of engines used as well.

I come from a Nascar2003/rfactor & rFactor2 background and you definitely need to have quite a few options available to set up races for this 1 style of vehicle(Kart specific) title to work well ;) IMHO
how on earth do you keep a KF2 on the track with MG reds on, it would be more suitable to run the stickies they use (Vega whites, MG yellows), can't imagine driving something so fast with little grip
Cameron Dance  • Marenello KZ2 driver • One of the youngest KZ2 drivers in NZ (16 years of age)
iceshard989 on YouTube • KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter • Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

LauZzZn

Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: LauZzZn on May 27, 2013, 10:09:46 AM
then you have to learn driving :D
already have, better way to do it is drive on slicks in the wet, that is how you really learn how to drive
Cameron Dance  • Marenello KZ2 driver • One of the youngest KZ2 drivers in NZ (16 years of age)
iceshard989 on YouTube • KZ2Iceman97 on Twitter • Cameron Scott Dance on Facebook

Nathan Dunnett

Quote from: KZ2_Iceman97 on May 27, 2013, 10:28:57 AM
already have, better way to do it is drive on slicks in the wet, that is how you really learn how to drive
Only if those slicks are Dunlop SL1's and you still have a dry setup. :D

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: Nathan Dunnett on May 27, 2013, 10:47:05 AM
Quote from: KZ2_Iceman97 on May 27, 2013, 10:28:57 AM
Only if those slicks are Dunlop SL1's and you still have a dry setup. :D
done that before, sitting on the grid in my KZ2 with dumlop SL1's on and a dry setup when it just suddenly starts pissing down with rain and for 10 laps i'm going sideways around the corners and almost falling off and spinning out and to make it harder, i had to be full steering lock to get around the turn :P

Nathan Dunnett

KZ on SL1's? What kind of ass hat organised that combination? Could you even get full throttle without wheel spin in the dry? :o

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: Nathan Dunnett on May 28, 2013, 06:33:10 AM
KZ on SL1's? What kind of ass hat organised that combination? Could you even get full throttle without wheel spin in the dry? :o
it was just a club day and we had some old tyres we wanted to get rid of so we put them on and I couldn't come out of the corner full but down the straight I could and through the fast corners once they had heated up

Nathan Dunnett

Ah I see. That would have been an interesting drive lol.

KZ2_Iceman97

Quote from: Nathan Dunnett on May 28, 2013, 07:00:06 AM
Ah I see. That would have been an interesting drive lol.
yep, nothing more fun than being sideways and full noise in a KZ2 and on old tyres trying to hang on :P ;D

Cory_Hayes

I doubt officials would allow you to drive a KZ on SL1's