• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:01:27 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Help DjFIL Make A Track...

Started by DjFIL, April 18, 2013, 10:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjFIL

Thought I'd start a full thread of my own.  Been adding way too much to the end of all the other threads.  If you want me to go back to adding at the end of those threads, just mention it and I will.  I really appreciate all the help I've received so far from LauZzZn, EVO and other KRP Forum members.

To bring everyone up to date on my initial project progress.  3DS Max 2010 is what I'm using, because the plugin to export works, and it doesn't seem all that different to use.  Building the core elements of the track (track surface and the grass surrounding it) went fairly smoothly (did it 3 times for this one track, get quicker each time).  Also after my first export I noticed the scale of the software wasn't set correctly.  So set 3DS Max to Meters (Customize > Units Setup)... and now the track is exported at the correct size (confirmed when drawing the center line around the track in Track Editor).  I'm exporting it early, cause I want to test this layout... and see if it's fun and worth putting more time in to, or if I should work on another layout plan that I have.

So with the export here's my new issue.  When I open the track in Track Editor or Map Viewer... I'm noticing that the Asphalt (Track Surface) section is appearing upside down (is seen only if I view it from under the world, looking up). The grass around it (inside and outside of the track) looks just fine.  Everything looks normal in 3DS Max before I export it.  With LauZzZn's help I'm using correct textures, even the 3D Grass shows in the Map Viewer (seen in my example below).  I've also confirmed in 3DS Max that my objects are titled correctly: TRKASPH01, TRKGRAS01 & TRKGRAS02.  What else can be causing this, and how can it be fixed?

Map Viewer (from above)

Map Viewer (from below)

In Track Editor

In 3DS Max 2010

Other question would be is how do I get the Sky Box to appear when viewing my track in Map Viewer?  I copied the skybox files from another track's folder.  I guess there's a way to activate them, or link it with your map?

More questions later.  Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Bradley

If you are viewing texture from wrong side then it could be you need to normalize the normals or recalculate the normals (basically what direction the vertices are pointing)  I wish I could help you more but 3ds is just not my thing (blender artist)

Bradley

ps. This used to happen a lot when mapping a sky texture to a dome etc. flip the normals was always the ticket-:)

DjFIL

I was looking for that, but in the textures area.  Figured it out and got the polygons flipped, exported it again, and now my track textures correctly inside Track Editor and Map Viewer.  Yay, Another step ahead.

I tried to load it in game... but everything (except my Kart, and my HUD) is pitch black.  Before when I loaded it, I was falling in the black abyss... now it feels like i'm actually driving on a surface... but I can't see anything.

So... what's next?  I'm guessing the skybox maybe a part of this?  Or is there something else I need to do... like regarding a light source?

DjFIL

Hooray! I figured it out.  Looks like I didn't copy enough files from one of the original tracks for it to work.  So I totally can drive it now.  Pretty sweet... feeling really proud that I created something, and it wasn't to difficult... even though this is very bland currently.  Thanks again everyone for the help in this thread and others threads, and LauZzZn with PM's.

Look forward to learning how to add more detail to my tracks like objects, trees, extra roads (pit lanes, alternate routes, etc), hills (in the terrain and on the track), and much more.

DjFIL

April 19, 2013, 03:30:13 AM #5 Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:12:33 AM by DjFIL
And I broke it.  I was trying to fix an issue where it looks like I slightly nudged the track surface out of place (small, 5-10 cm, gap on one side of the track)... couldn't get it adjusted right, though i'd delete components (not including the track surface) and build the grass around it again... unfortunately caused further issues and then I (stupidly) accidentally clicked save... bye bye work.  Oh well, going to be lot easier each time after the first.

One question... can I lock objects in 3DS Max (like locking layers in Photoshop) so they can't be moved/edited once I'm happy with them?
EDIT: Looks like I found it (under each object's Hierarchy > Link Info menus)

EDIT2: Got it back to where it was again... took me about 90 minutes... getting faster every time.  Repetition is a good thing for long term memory anyway.  Loads perfectly now in Map Viewer and Track Editor... but every time I load the track in KRP it crashes before I'm in the 'garage' menu.  What are causes of these crashes?
EDIT3: Looks like the center line wasn't biding (or being saved as bound) to the track.  Yay!

maxrod

you can lock parts of your scene in 3ds max just right click then object properties freeze, You also have a auto save if when you open you go to auto back it save every 5 min.

LauZzZn

dont save on the same file i have folder with versions of my tracks so i start with 1 and then 1.1 ..... so when you make a failure you can use the old file ;)
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

DjFIL

I started to save with a new extended name (-wire, -grass, -textured, etc) every time I reached a "checkpoint" in the build.  But that is also great to know about the 5-minute autosave.  See if that can help me another time, hopefully not required (but mistakes do happen).  And that's sure an easier way to lock parts... I'll look for that.

Thanks everyone!

LauZzZn

name them with 1 1.1 etc its much easier
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

So I figured out how to get some objects (Cones, Tires & Bails from the misc.pkz file) and got them placed on my track in the Track Editor.  How can I easily get more simple objects to use/place, like light posts or those square/pyramid pop-up awnings?  Thanks.

DjFIL

So I'm working on a 2nd project, a fantasy track layout.  One of my challenges with this new layout is extra connector roads for alternate layouts.  Can someone help me with how to achieve this?  I'm learning about combining two objects in to one and than welding vertices, to make it so they're connected/smooth transitions.  Is this the correct technique?

Also another question about making a pit lane.  Should I just take the same technique?  I noticed in PiBoSo's rules about "PIT_TRKASPH"... would that mean that the pit lane would have to be it's own object?  But could I weld that to the main track, or would that make it become one object and therefore I couldn't give it the unique name?

Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Bradley

You can layout a pit just like you did the track, then connect the vertices(weld) then when all is good go in a separate the access lanes from your track so they are different objects- this will also make it easier to texture, since most pit lanes and access look a little different texture wise :)

DjFIL

Ok... so I've got my alternate routes laid down, and vertices lined up with the original piece of track.  So they should be able to easily weld.  I also set the weld threshold a bit higher, to make it easier to make them happen.  But I can't seem to get the vertices of two different objects to weld together.  Is there a way to select the vertices of two different objects at once?  It seems that it only lets me select one object at a time.

Thanks!

LauZzZn

if i understand you right you can attac to objects together
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3