• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:37:16 AM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Help DjFIL Make A Track...

Started by DjFIL, April 18, 2013, 10:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjFIL

If I attach two (or more) objects together, will it still let me give them different identifiers?  like TRKASHP01 and PIT_TRKASPH01?

LauZzZn

no but you can detach them later
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

DjFIL

Oh ok.  Is it important to have them as separate identifiers (if I'm fine with them all being the same surface type)?  Like is it important to title the pit lane "PIT_TRKASPH01"?

LauZzZn

2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

Ok good to know.

One more question.  Sometimes when I'm creating grass (selecting outline > create shape > adjust outline (-1.0) > convert to poly)... it automatically caps the piece for me, and sometimes it doesn't.  If it's not automatic and I have to complete the capping, I see the 1.0m outline in the wire view.  But no matter the outcome, they both look normal in the 3D view window.  Any reasons why the outcome would be different?  And any issues with it being like this?

DjFIL

Figured out my issue with the odd results when building infield grass... it was because the shape outline (created 1 m away from the track) had vertices (segments) that were crossing over them self at the corners.  Once I got them lined up correctly, everything worked as expected.

Just to let you in on my current project... it's a custom made fantasy track featuring 5 possible layouts.  Beyond creation of the basic track and grass... with this project I'll be learning how to add\attach alternate roads (including pit lane), adding kerbs, adding few trees (around the outside), adding a fence and/or wall, and modeling and adding a building (a garage/club house).  I've already got it up to a drive-able state, and I'm pretty happy with the layout that I've made.  I'll make a new thread and put up some pictures when it's getting closer to release.

After this project is a special one... I'm planning to trying to recreate a track from a popular "karting" series.   ;)  That will have me learn how to create hills (on and off track), banked corners and a tunnel.  But that's probably a few weeks away from even getting started.

But one step at a time.  Thanks again to everyone who has provided help.  Pretty excited to be getting back in to track creation.  It's been lot easier (to get off the ground) than expected, but still lots more to learn.

EVO

Select both objects and apply an edit meah modifier or you may hve to attach them
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

DjFIL

I'm building kerbs.  Figured out the path following issue I was having earlier... now got part down easy.

But what heights are average kerbs around a karting track?  My first attempt was way too large.  Second attempt was better... but still rides bit too harsh.

What dimensions are you using to create your line (shape for lofting) for standard kerbs?

Thanks.

LauZzZn

for the outside ones 70cm something like this and the inside kerbs maximum 50cm ,comes up to how the shape is
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Bradley

Like I said I am not familiar with 3ds, um try to join the
2 objects together( this should allow you to play with the vertices at the same time) , then weld the vertices, then separate  to be two different objects again

DjFIL

Kerbs are done and feel good.  Here's a preview (overhead) of my creation in work.  Fantasy layout created from scratch.  Will include 5 layouts (all clockwise), longest is 935m.

If anyone able to give a few pointers on how to make walls (for the pit wall), fences (for around the compound) and trees (and tree lines)... that would be much appreciated.  Lastly I plan to build a clubhouse style building for near the pit area entrance... but I've found plenty of youtube tutorials on how to make buildings.

Thanks!

LauZzZn

i try to make those tutorials today. buildings is a thing where its not easy to make a tutorial i think because no building looks same. i can send you my buildings that i made for my tracks if you want and you can learn from them
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

That's ok.  For the buildings, there's loads of tutorials on youtube from simple to complex.  But that would totally be awesome if you'd help by creating tutorials for fences and trees (and tree-lines).  That would be so appreciated.

LauZzZn

in my 3dsmax tutorial thread i could add the tutorial and add some examples of 3d fences that i have
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

Figured out how to make a simple concrete wall (for between my pit lane and track) using a loft technique.  Had a little trouble closing the ends of the wall, but got it figured out in the end.  Texturing worked fine, once I set UVW Map to "box".  So that's cool.

But yes please... still would love help with 3D Fences and Trees.  Having a tough time to figure out how to even start something like that.  So a tutorial for those items would be awesome.  I'll keep an eye open in that thread of yours.  Thanks LauZzZn.

Anyone have (or know where can I find) packs of objects to use in the layout editor?  I only have found (from the original tracks.pkz) tyres (singles and stacks in multiple colours) and cones.  Not sure what others I would want or need exactly... but more to see and select from is always nice.