• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:28:37 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

How to smooth track surface in 3DS MAX

Started by Fredrik, February 23, 2011, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredrik

I'm converting a track from the southern part of Sweden. The track works good in rfactor but when I converted it to KRP the track surface becomes bumpy at places. Do anyone have any tips on how to smooth the track surface in 3ds max? I'm new to 3ds max so any suggestions is appreciated ;)

You can view a video of the track in rfactor here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe67g9kEA0w&feature=player_embedded

Snappe

The quickest and easiest way to fix it is to add a turbosmooth modifier to the track surface object. The turbosmooth modifier will increase the mesh resolution by 4x and also smooth out the surface.
The downside is that you will have small holes where the track meets the grass - but it's not a big problem, and can be fixed with a little more work.

Fredrik

Thanks for the advice this helped allot, but I still have some height problems in the track  :( that I need to even out along a stretch of track. I tried doing it with soft selections editing the polys, is this the best thing or are there any other way that is better. I do not have a spline/path to move as the track is not created in 3ds max from the beginning.