• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:00:31 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

New to KRP, a few questions...

Started by KCSmoke, February 28, 2013, 02:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCSmoke

February 28, 2013, 02:24:43 AM Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:23:22 AM by KCSmoke
    I love the sim. My friends and I have been trying to do some online racing. While I'm not new to racing sims, there are things specific to karting that are a mystery to me.

1. How do we start the race? We've tried about 5 times and every time we've tried everyone in the race gets DQ'd?! How do you do a rolling start in this sim? What exactly are we supposed to be doing?
ANSWERED via PiBoSo's post...
"During a rolling start, you speed must be kept between 20 and 60 km/h.
Approaching start line, you have to stay inside the corridors, with a speed between 30 and 50 km/h. One second penalty is given for each km/h above of below speed limits. After yellow line it is possible to accelerate, but still in the corridor. There is a penalty of 3 seconds for partly crossing a corridor line, and 10 seconds for fully crossing it.
Last but not least, there is a 10 seconds penalty for overtaking before the start line.
Note:
You can practice offline creating a race ( from main menu: race -> host local ) and then from "Event Info" page click on the arrow button on the right of "Final Length" to jump directly to race session."

2. When I drive the KZ1 whenever I kill the engine I can never get it started again. I've mapped the start engine/stop engine buttons and the clutch but no matter what combination I try I can't get the engine to refire.
ANSWERED via nmpcs's post below...
"- About the KZ1... that kart along with the F100 don´t have starters, so you have to push them continuously (use the PUSH button) and then put it in gear (for the KZ1) or simply step on the throttle (F100)."

3. If you end up in an "awkward" place on the track is there any way to "reset" the kart. Like if you get high-centered and the wheels are off the ground, or up against a wall or hill or stuck behind a barrrier etc.. I've had to just return to the pits.
ANSWERED via nmpcs's post...
"- If you get stuck in something or ram into a wall, you can use the LOW SPEED buttons, which is like being pushed forward (low speed forward)  or backwards (low speed backwards). If you cannot get back to the track using that, then you have to go back to the pits."

4. Choke = ? How does this affect the performance of the kart?
ANSWERED via Hispinkness Prior's post...
"Richer means possibility of bogging out of corners but good top end power, and lean means crisp exit from corners but not so good top end. ....1 lean and 5 rich"

5. Front Brakes. I know what these are, but what pedal or button do you guys map this to. It seems like it would be better served by an analog rather than digital input.
ANSWERED via EVO's and nmpcs's posts below...
"...in the calibaration you can set a button to release or press slowly; for clutch I do release slow, for front brake I do press slow."

6. Hard vs. Soft tires. Are there rules? Which tires when?
ANSWERED via Hatman's post...
"...most go kart tyres are working best at temp range of 43 - 54 Celsius (110 - 130 F).
Soft compounds favour higher temperatures and hard achieve lower temps. The rule "the softer tire the more grip" doesn't tell always the truth because in some cases the softer compound may go beyond the optimal temp range and the tires will start to lose their grip. A general rule is that you may go as soft as you can go near the above limit (approx 54 C) to get the best from your tires. Another big parameter is the pressure. The higher the pressure the more the temp rises, so if you are in qualifying you put a very soft compound with high pressures and in the race (15-20 laps) you run a harder compound (in order to last longer) with lower pressure. After the race you take the hot pressure of the tires (you must see a difference of 1-2 psi) and the temperature across the pattern. If the inner is about 1-3 degrees higher than the outer then it's ok. Some example to help you..

(Outer-Middle-Inner) : 41-42-43 = too low temps, try a softer compound or increase the pressure
                                    47-51-49 = good overall temp, lower the pressure
                                    46-43-48 = good overall temp, increase the pressure. If the overall temp exceed 54 then try a harder compound
                                    49-51-52 = just about the right compound and pressure "

7. Radiator cover = ? Seems like I saw on the forums that this affects engine temperature. How do you know what the ideal engine temperature is?
ANSWERED via laraarsa and DontLook's posts...
"To keep the engine in the optimum temperature range"
"Kart | Lower Temp Warning | Optimum | Higher Temp Warning
FS250 | 52 | 60 | 72
KS1 | 42 | 50 | 62
KC3 | 42 | 50 | 62
KC1 | 42 | 50 | 62
Your display shows water temp. Engine temp is usually 2-4 degrees higher."

8. What are the differences between the karts within a particular type? T, C, or B?
ANSWERED via EVO and nmpcs's posts below...
Stands for "...Birel, CRG and Tony Karts"
"I think there is a slight difference in stiffness for the three chassis. I've heard lots of people say the CRG doesn't take kerbs very well, but its faster in other ways."

OK, thanks in advance. I apologize if any of the above are dumb questions or have already been answered in the forum. I've been pouring over the posts and hadn't come across anything that answered all those questions. I just want to enjoy it to its fullest and whatever response I get might help someone else when they first start out driving KRP.
        Thanks again! -KCSmoke

Cory_Hayes

you have to push start the KZ1....and have it in gear....

nmpcs

let me see if I can help you with something...

- About the KZ1... that kart along with the F100 don´t have starters, so you have to push them continuously (use the PUSH button) and then put it in gear (for the KZ1) or simply step on the throttle (F100).
- If you get stuck in something or ram into a wall, you can use the LOW SPEED buttons, which is like being pushed forward (low speed forward)  or backwards (low speed backwards). If you cannot get back to the track using that, then you have to go back to the pits.
- For the front brakes, the ideal is to map it to some pressure sensitive input, although I use a regular digital button. (the thing is if you map it to a digital input it will always perform a maximum brake and it'll lock the wheels... I don't use it very often)
- the difference between Birel, CRG and Tony Karts, I think is a question of looks...

EVO

QuoteFor the front brakes, the ideal is to map it to some pressure sensitive input, although I use a regular digital button. (the thing is if you map it to a digital input it will always perform a maximum brake and it'll lock the wheels... I don't use it very often)
- the difference between Birel, CRG and Tony Karts, I think is a question of looks...

in the calibaration you can set a button to release or press slowely for clutch i do release slow for front brake i do press slow

I think there is a slight difference in stiffness for the three chassis. ive heard lots of people say the crg doesnt take kerbs very well, but its faster in other ways.
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

KCSmoke

March 01, 2013, 12:53:03 AM #4 Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:01:46 AM by KCSmoke
Thanks for your replies guys! A lot of those things seem obvious after you hear what they are but they aren't apparent intially.
Maybe PiBoSo should start a FAQ section for newbies?
Looking forward to Beta 8.
Thanks again! -KCSmoke

EVO

yeah if your not an avid karter it maybe confusings.  ID i remeber correctly you are supposed to be able to right clicks things and get a little dicription. maybe development of that feature has slowed down, i know it works in the main menu

nmpcs

Quote from: EVO on February 28, 2013, 03:43:50 PM
I think there is a slight difference in stiffness for the three chassis. ive heard lots of people say the crg doesnt take kerbs very well, but its faster in other ways.
I didn't know that. I thought it was only the looks
Maybe PiBoSo can say something about that...  :)

EVO

Cory_Hayes

I think the Birels are definitely different....completely different set ups