• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:35:52 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Dedicated Server Performance

Started by JamieP, October 14, 2012, 12:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieP

We had our recent round of the KC1 series and with a big field 11 karts, there were multiple issues with server lag, laptiming delays and laptimes just not registering. We had restarted the server many times and with the 10+ karts, the performance was lacking and laptiming issues arose again.

I turned off the other servers running (rFactor and netkar and also turned off the murmur server)
The ping rates on the server with <8 karts was under 100 or just over and upload rate was 200-300kbps. When there was 8-9 karts, the ping rates were about 150ish and the upload rate was 700-800kbps. With more than 9 on the server, the ping rates blew out to 250 & 350 + and the upload rate was maxxed out at 800-900kbps.

The RAM usage was good at 480MB from a possible 3GB, the CPU usage with 9 people online was stable at 60-70% but the network system was  maxxing out my 1Mbps upload bandwidth.

I hope this information is usefull for you. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know

Thanks again for a great sim

Jamie

PS. Server Specs:

- P4 2.8Ghz HT 64bit
- 3Gb DDR-400 RAM
- 1Mbps upload rate
- Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

dibu

Thanks for reporting.
Very interesting, that's exactly what I also observed with 10+ drivers online (Beta6). To be save you need an upload of 1.5mbps and the ping still should be stable at this load.

One problem is that the upload is not rising linear with the number of players. EG with 2 drivers online I observed a max upload of about 22kbps for each user. With 7 players it was already 45kbps/user. ATM I don't have values for Beta7 with 10+ users.

Here a screenshot during a race with 7 users.

JamieP

I also notice the auto generation of the results web pages are gone. I think the original pages was too much but the entries and classification pages were great. Have to do a screenshot for each race now :(

Despite these issues, I still love your work piboso. Let me know if there's any more info or logs you may want.

Jamie

PiBoSo

October 15, 2012, 11:04:54 AM #3 Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:32:31 AM by PiBoSo
Quote from: JamieP on October 15, 2012, 10:56:00 AM
I also notice the auto generation of the results web pages are gone. I think the original pages was too much but the entries and classification pages were great. Have to do a screenshot for each race now :(

Despite these issues, I still love your work piboso. Let me know if there's any more info or logs you may want.

Jamie

Generation of web pages is still possible, adding
results = html
Under "export" section.

http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=8.0

JamieP

Quote from: PiBoSo on October 15, 2012, 11:04:54 AM

Generation of web pages is still possible, adding
results = html
Under "export" section.

http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?topic=8.0

Thank you very much. Will put the info back on now.

dibu

Another bug seems to be fixed, thanks. :)
In Beta6 the server didn't accept new connections after an hour or two if other players were alredy connected. From my tests this problem seems to be solved.

Until now I also had only 'clean' kart.exe crashes which makes it easy to automaticly restart the servers. No hanging server which still occupies the replay memory and stops communication to the master server. This happened often in GPBikes and Beta6. I will observe it and report when I have more results.

The general stability seems to be similar to the older Betas. In my logs I see 7 kart.exe crashes in 5 days.