• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Track conversion tutorial rFactor - Kart Racing Pro

Started by Racehard, January 07, 2011, 01:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Waters

I've got a couple of problems.

First: I don't really understand the racedata bit in tracked. Changing the numbers for the pits doesn't seem to actually do anything, and no matter what I do, when I try to load up my track in game I get a message saying "pitlane full".

Second: I have modelled the road edges and curbs using only the track tool in BTB (as opposed to using terrain for the grass at the egde of the track). I have spent a long time creating specific textures for the road edges in BTB but now when I use this tutorial it seems that 3DSMax groups all of my track textures into a single object per section of track. This would seem to mean that KRP won't distinguish between the tarmac of the track and the grass at the edge of the track (the grass will behave like tarmac). Is there any way around this? I want the track to be tarmac and the grass edges to act like grass and I really don't want to have wasted my time creating custom grass edge textures. (hope I've made that clear... I'm writing this at 4am after many, many hours of frustration... Why can't we just export tracks straight from BTB?)

PiBoSo

Quote from: David Waters on September 20, 2011, 05:05:17 AM
I've got a couple of problems.

First: I don't really understand the racedata bit in tracked. Changing the numbers for the pits doesn't seem to actually do anything, and no matter what I do, when I try to load up my track in game I get a message saying "pitlane full".

Second: I have modelled the road edges and curbs using only the track tool in BTB (as opposed to using terrain for the grass at the egde of the track). I have spent a long time creating specific textures for the road edges in BTB but now when I use this tutorial it seems that 3DSMax groups all of my track textures into a single object per section of track. This would seem to mean that KRP won't distinguish between the tarmac of the track and the grass at the edge of the track (the grass will behave like tarmac). Is there any way around this? I want the track to be tarmac and the grass edges to act like grass and I really don't want to have wasted my time creating custom grass edge textures. (hope I've made that clear... I'm writing this at 4am after many, many hours of frustration... Why can't we just export tracks straight from BTB?)

Could you please post a screenshot of TrackEd with race data?

To have different materials, you need to split the mesh into different objects, and then name each one according to the creation rules.

David Waters

September 20, 2011, 03:56:57 PM #167 Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:26:52 PM by David Waters
Quote from: PiBoSo on September 20, 2011, 12:22:36 PM
Could you please post a screenshot of TrackEd with race data?

To have different materials, you need to split the mesh into different objects, and then name each one according to the creation rules.
Ok I have it working now, it must've been something I was doing wrong...

Would you be able to explain how I can split the mesh into different objects? I'm new to 3DMax, it's pretty confusing as it is...

David Waters

Hi,

I'm trying to convert the final version of my track, but when I try to load it in game it just won't work.

I've converted an earlier version of the track successfully, and I've followed every step of the tutorial as I did before (including merging the centreline, creating the racedata etc and all of the things that people have said are common mistakes in this thread).

The map file loads fine in the map editor, the trp file loads fine in tracked, the racedata file looks fine, the centreline is merged, so I'm really stumped at what I could be doing wrong. I don't even get an error message. The game says connected, then after a few seconds the windows loading cursor appears and then the game just hangs on the loading screen until I press enter, and then it crashes to desktop without an error message.

I can provide screenshots, but I don't really know what I could take a screenshot of which would help...

David Waters

Can anyone suggest anything? Is there a way I can find out what the error is? Maybe in a log file or something? I don't get why the game would crash and not even give me a hint as to why.

Sorry if I come across as impatient but I am creating the track for a simulator and I really would like to have the track up and running tomorrow.

PiBoSo

Quote from: David Waters on October 23, 2011, 01:57:06 AM
Can anyone suggest anything? Is there a way I can find out what the error is? Maybe in a log file or something? I don't get why the game would crash and not even give me a hint as to why.

Sorry if I come across as impatient but I am creating the track for a simulator and I really would like to have the track up and running tomorrow.

It's hard to tell without being able to test the track.
Please make sure the pits in race data are over a collidable surface.
If you have the bestline.tl copied from another track, delete it.

David Waters

Hi,

I edited the racedata and made sure all of the pit areas were in the right places, but now when I try to load the track I get a windows error message:

QuoteProblem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   kart.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   4de545dd
  Fault Module Name:   kart.exe
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4de545dd
  Exception Code:   c00000fd
  Exception Offset:   00130019
  OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   2057
  Additional Information 1:   eadb
  Additional Information 2:   eadbee743a16f259f026f95117197092
  Additional Information 3:   c8dc
  Additional Information 4:   c8dcd6913308779d02a37e0aa5c2170f

I could upload the track if that would help?

Aritz

dibu

October 23, 2011, 03:24:12 PM #176 Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:27:55 PM by dibu
Your centerline is not closed. Look at the segment after S/F.

Also make sure that the last segment is a curve.

David Waters

Thank you!

All working now. (Not sure why it didn't in the first place - I definitely clicked close when I created the centerline!)

dibu

Maybe you already corrected the missing lap times.
If not: in your .RDF there is a small bug in "finish_line", "speedtrap_line", "checkpoint0", "checkpoint1" and "checkpoint2".

"left" must be a negative value, "right" must be positive.

left = -10.000000
   right = 10.000000

Aritz