• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:16:01 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Height maps.

Started by Schwoni, July 18, 2012, 11:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwoni

Someone knows how to crate heigthmaps? or a good programm for that? maps like this

EVO

height map?  is that like a bump or super displacement map or something
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

Schwoni

yes something like that, black is flatten and white is a hill. I will try with a greyscale texture.

Schwoni

So here a small tutourial, create a texture only white/black, white is heigth and black is flat.
Create a plane> modify> displace> parameters> image: bitmap> load your texture.
in modifier> displacement> strenght u can type values in meters, 100% oppacity is that value u type there. (eg. if you type 2 meters there the part with 100% oppacity will be 2 meters.)
that`s all, now you just have to paint a good height map or find a programm that can use google earth data or something similar.

EVO

so the more white the more the the hill? 
how do you this for KRP?

Schwoni

what u mean? yes more white higher hill. yes i do for krp it will be the track :P like motocross :)

EVO

what the heck motocross krp

Schwoni

HAHA joke man. just wanted to show how it work. You only have to paint a good heigthmap and a terrain is quite easy done. You also could import terrains using Google sketchup the problem is that it isn`t so fine in some regions. it is much better and more easy as pull and push polygons^^ i think it is the easiest way or i only didn`t know a better one. You only have to be a good painter ;)

EVO

i wonder if you can get hieght maps online?  that are better than google.  I agree google gives very rough terrain surface.  I dont mean literally rough I mean just not exact. A track can have elevation change in one particular area that is not picked up by google.   

I think best for our budget would be getting the GPS data from a mychron.  That will give you really precise data. Im pretty sure it gets elevation too.

EXTREME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcqLEIE8MBk

EVO

I racing tracks are 10 people and upto 6 months