• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:07:28 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Shaders, how, when, where!

Started by Aritz, May 30, 2012, 04:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aritz

I've been testing shader these days and they are a must for track creators.

Specular gives a very nice bright where the sun (light) hits. Very easy to do with a simple texture

Bump makes the surfaces more real with the non perfect surfaces. You need a program to do them or you can do the bump texture with photoshop quite easiliy

Reflections... I can't do them, but glass or polished metals should have this. Help needed!

This screenshot is taken after the bump and specular shaders activated. Bump for the "grass" and tarmac, and specular for the buildings, tyres (covered with plastic) and fences:

But my asphalt is very ugly :( The bump is very big, not real.... How can I do the nice Piboso's bumped texture?

Aritz

An improved dry grass bump textured:

And the asphalt bump texture problem:

Aritz

Schwoni

Yes this effect is really awesome and a must have :)

Asph Bump is a bit much i know ;)

Aritz

Yes, I have to improve the bump/specular texture. Now I know how though  :)

Someone knows how the reflection shader works? Piboso's Track Creation Rules are for 3D artists, not for begginners with a lot of time but no studies at all  ;D

EVO

Great woek guys.  Aritz the reason the track looks like ice cream sometimes is the specular.  has too many bright white spots if you reduce the brightness or lower the contrast of that texture it should look better.  In shader map pro i use a intensity of 20.  Sometimes bump map on the tarmac can also look to exagerrated (too much track surface bunmpyness look) so i lower intensity on Shader Map Pro also to 20
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

Aritz

Even with a very simple and crap tree wall, you can improve it a lot using the bump!

Aritz

Quote from: EVO on May 31, 2012, 07:11:24 PM
Great woek guys.  Aritz the reason the track looks like ice cream sometimes is the specular.  has too many bright white spots if you reduce the brightness or lower the contrast of that texture it should look better.  In shader map pro i use a intensity of 20.  Sometimes bump map on the tarmac can also look to exagerrated (too much track surface bunmpyness look) so i lower intensity on Shader Map Pro also to 20

Thx, I will test more.

One question: How can I map the bump/specular? In some areas the track has the perfect size of the asphalts little rocks, but in others, the bumps are too big:

Schwoni

it look like it is different mapped. Maybe because pulled the edge of the connection to the track? try to remap the texture

EVO

those trees look amazing with bump, never even though of that

Aritz

I really need your help for fix the asphalt bump problem... I've tried to remap using Unwrap UVW but the bump still is different in some areas as you can see in my screenshot. Other big problem will be the white line each side of the track.., It is part of the asphalt texture and when I modify the mapping, the line loses its position and size...

I did some modifications on the bump/specular texture and the results are positive, the white brights are easily "editable" using less contrast or bright or both.

EVO

uvw mapping not uvw unwrap.   if the textures are the same just one has no white line.  Use the same UVW scales and everything should match.

maxrod

Can someone post example of shd file as mine is not exporting into the scene, with the grs file it makes a grs file where shd is not, Are there something wrong with my file ?, As in the picture on left is file on right is the code must be wrong.

Aritz

Your system uses comas instead of dots for separate file name from extension?  :o

You should post the bump file, maybe something is wrong

Aritz

June 02, 2012, 11:13:47 AM #14 Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:20:39 AM by Aritz
Quote from: EVO on June 01, 2012, 08:38:17 PM
uvw mapping not uvw unwrap.   if the textures are the same just one has no white line.  Use the same UVW scales and everything should match.

Buff

Please, can you explain it for dummies?

I am using two different asphalt textures, with and without white lines. Actually they are the same but one has the white lines deleted (for parking lot). How can I keep the white lines on the track and reduce the bump size? I want to have the left asphalt bump size, not the biggest, nor the medium size that you can see on the track of the right:

(Remember: There are only two different textures, with/without lines. But as you can see, same non-lined asphalt has different bump there...)