• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:50:59 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Sound

Started by Racehard, December 08, 2011, 01:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racehard

December 08, 2011, 01:59:29 PM Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:15:02 PM by Racehard
Aritz and I just talked about, that when beta 5 is ready with hopefully improved net code the wheel to wheel fighting could be really amazing. But there is something which is as important as the netcode to make these amazing fights possible - the sound.

In reality the kart drivers often pass very surprisingly/suddenly. They squeeze themselves to the inside of the other kart (which is probably one sesation of karting).
For the guy who gets overtaken it is really not easy to see the guy who overtakes of course.That's the same in krp obviously.
Aritz said that the noise is very important at that point, it is essential to hear on which side the opponent currently is and how close he is on that side. We are both the same opinion that the engine sound must be improved somehow to make the opponents engine more distinctive and it has to be easier to judge where the opponent is.
Only with that ability, crashes can be prevented, otherwise we assume there will be a lot of "misunderstandings" the guy who gets overtaken will unintentionally turn into the guy who overtakes and thus cause a crash.

Some examples:
I think I've already seen better examples, where the overtakes are even more sudden and surprising, but can't find them right now.
Second 0:46 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7kFb9a-LVE&feature=related

2:21, 5:24 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hscxn1zEo-Q&feature=related

7:38 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5irxOye73vI&feature=youtu.be&t=7m30s
(you can slightly hear the opponent coming - must be more clear in krp)

And when such moves are possible from both the netcode side and the "recognizing the other kart" part, krp will truely be absolutely mind blowing when it comes to online racing.
There is so big potential of fun burried right there.

Nitrox

The Iceman Marco

laraarsa

Aritz

From my experience, front oponents are clearly heard when they are near, let say 10m. Side oponents are clearly heard aswell, you know they are there and where they are. But rear oponents are barely heard, only when they are "asking for permission" to overtake you :D Very often you get shocked when someone appears from nowhere and takes the inside of the turn...

Luca VT250

Alex Materna

nmpcs

that would be awsome
+1 to that :)

EVO

+1 and bumping to say hello im here
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

PANPAN

Personally, I can not hear the guy behind me !  Never !
So I'm not that sure this is a great idea.   But this is personal feeling of course.
Best regards,
Raoul

If you have the feeling that everything is under control, this means you are not driving fast enough.  (S.Moss)

Racehard

What are the other drivers impressions?

Can you tell where the guy behind is at?

Aritz

Quote from: PANPAN on December 09, 2011, 11:18:49 AM
Personally, I can not hear the guy behind me !  Never !
So I'm not that sure this is a great idea.   But this is personal feeling of course.

Now in game is almost impossible to drive the KS1 because you hear the opponent engine at the same level as yours, so you do mistakes shifting late or soon.

Of course the sound must be correctly adjusted...A fast example:

ENNKT

More engine wobbling, not enough dips and bumps in tracks, to cause the engine to make "wobble" sounds. .