• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:15 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Do you want AI?

Started by laraarsa, November 30, 2011, 02:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poll: Do you want AI?

Yes
29 (82.9%)
No
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

laraarsa

November 30, 2011, 02:49:19 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:09:40 PM by laraarsa
Do you guys want AI?

PiBoSo, if you are thinking ''no not again''. i just want to know what the community thinks ;)

The Iceman Marco

Only if the other problems in the game will be fixed first.

nmpcs

Let's think about the final product.
Wouldn't it be more appelative to buyers if it had AI?
You could always play a competitive game even when online servers were empty or so...
I'm not saying that AI must exist on beta 5, but on the final version it really should.
It's the same with new karts, even if they're worse than the actual ones (i'm thinking 4 strokes).
Why shouldn't it be available? Every thing would be the same for those who don't want to drive them, but they would make a huge difference for those who want to try other karts.

EVO

hey how did you make a pole that was fun
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

cnt997

maxrod

AI yes, rfactor will have AI and karts and lots of people on line racing at the same time, and people will go there, sorry but that is the truth.

The Iceman Marco

Quote from: maxrod on December 11, 2011, 12:47:48 PM
AI yes, rfactor will have AI and karts and lots of people on line racing at the same time, and people will go there, sorry but that is the truth.

I think that will change when the online racing in krp is good. So when the see the online racing is great they'll come back and drive online krp because krp is much better than the rfactor karts. Maybe the AI should be in the game somewhere in the future, but there're things which are more important than AI which should changed/come etc. first.

maxrod

I do agree online is the way, but have some people lost intrest, how many people are left as you see in this forum it is the same people, when you go online there is only a couple of people on there at a time, If you went on rfactor online there are still full grids. 5 years on, the only problem is that with rfactor 2 they are thinking of charging a annual fee, and nobody knows how the karts will be in rfactor till it is released, they have worked on it for some time, This needs AI to help keep people interested.

Frank Hermann

December 12, 2011, 01:35:33 AM #9 Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:42:39 AM by Frank Hermann
Definitely yes, because its good for the Future of the Game. At the Moment you cannot Race, because there are not enough Players online. Racing alone against the clock isnt exiting, so we are using KRP not very often and sometimes completely forget the Game for a time!. With AI you could race when you want, and we would start using KRP much more often, which would be also good for the Online Part. Because we would check more often the servers, and maybe join them! My Theory ;)

cnt997

the grids on online were alls too small like 2 or 3 at a race, i think online for me is not the way to go , ai karts would keep me more interested in the game. Also you guys say to wait for beta 5 for online but what if beta 5 has bad online too? then what? we'll have to wait till 6,7,8? i think ai karts are more relaible then nline, online is fun i agree but ai karts will provide full grids with not much possibility of lag and crashes

PiBoSo

December 13, 2011, 01:15:08 PM #11 Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:01:52 PM by PiBoSo
Please note that a good AI would take a long time to be integrated.
It must be fast, but also make human-like mistakes. It must be aware of the other karts on track and overtake them when possible.
Last but not least, it must know about the different event sessions and change behavior accordingly.
To make things more complex, the physics simulation is too computationally complex to have a full field of karts, so a dedicated, simplified physics model for AI would have to be coded.
This task would take several months to be completed; months that could be ( better? ) used to:
- improve netcode a lot
- add a web-based servers browser
- complete the linux port
- improve rendering with post-processing effects
and much more...

maxrod

How about ghost karts of other peoples best laps, just to give somthing to race against, the AI don't have to be big grid size or clever just somthing to pace, To give a feel of not being alone, Could always be improved in the future, It is rear that i go online to race as i dont always have the time and the problem is time zones between countrys, so when i do get on there there don't seem to be alot of people on there, may even help when building a track, as when i build a track for rfactor the AI is taken into count which help to create a track, it is just a point as i do love playing with this sim, and trying to create new tracks.

Frank Hermann

December 13, 2011, 02:51:44 PM #13 Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:03:15 PM by Frank Hermann
Agree (you were writing faster ;)

PiBoSo I think we all wonder how fast you are developing your racing sims. Compared to other developers and bigger teams it seems like you are developing your code somewhere in the space where the time is going slower. We dont know, but for sure your time is limited like on earth, so slowing down the development for months, just for ai dont seems to be the best idea!
I was interested what your answer would be on this topic. But it was no big suprise, that you thought of an realy good AI, which we know from other sims isnt that easy to make.

But what about an very easy AI, which just drives the ideal line, created by our selfs out of a fast replay lap. For a bit human like look, the AI should not use exactly the same line on the straights. There dont has to be overtaking, and the ai dont has to react to the player, we know that from rfactor where it was implemented but didnt work very well. This advaced Ai could be an update for the future. But i agree, maybe there other things that are more important than AI. But especially as a track designer i would also love to play with it ;)

Nitrox

Please start with the web-based server browser! This would make meeting other people on track a lot easier!