• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:44:40 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Kart Physics

Started by Slimjim, October 31, 2011, 09:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slimjim

Well after doing many laps here is what i got to say..
The Kart feels on the heavy side.. you can see in the replay and while driving,
the kart dives forward and backwards, making me think the inertia is set a bit too high.
this will also cause the kart to have snap oversteer, which i have never had in a real kart.
it feels more like a tiny car than a kart... and the steering is numb, the FFB works,
but lack of detailed bumps, and rumble strip vibration, the FFB works fine, but it is just a feeling of weight,
which as i said, it feels on the heavy side.. even with the FFB turned to 20..
on the shifter... even though you need to lift without the help activated, there is lag,
and your shifting is slower than in real life. if you want perfect shifts..
I was able to shift my shifter very fast, I even had people say it sounded like i didn't lift.
graphically, the game looks very nice, and the animation is top notch..
I know this is still in Beta stage, just hopping my comments are not taken wrong, and maybe something to look into in future builds.

PiBoSo

For force-feedback, it is a design decision to return only forces coming directly from tires' physics, with no "fake" effects added on top.
Kerbs' surface should have modeled bumps to give a vibration.

EVO

karts are very forgiving.  We should exchange setups becuase i think i have mine handling much like my kart. its also setup very close to my actual kart. except some tweaks to get the realism back.  I have to say the KC3 i still believe is the most realisitc to drive.  It has that light feeling.  we should do some laps some time.  The dynamic track surface is pretty awesome.  Drove on a drying track with slicks it was a challenge still did a 44 at lonato
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

Aritz

Quote from: evo1087 on November 02, 2011, 09:42:26 AM
karts are very forgiving.  We should exchange setups becuase i think i have mine handling much like my kart. its also setup very close to my actual kart. except some tweaks to get the realism back.  I have to say the KC3 i still believe is the most realisitc to drive.  It has that light feeling.  we should do some laps some time.  The dynamic track surface is pretty awesome.  Drove on a drying track with slicks it was a challenge still did a 44 at lonato

I love KC3. I am KZ2 driver and I should prefer KS1 but KC3 is pretty awesome, the setup works perfect, it is easy to handle and the races are a lot closed; there are not big differences between pilots!

Slimjim

November 03, 2011, 05:39:58 AM #4 Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:24:08 AM by Slimjim
helped a fellow karting buddy get his game up and running..
we both found that the driver shifting has a bit of lag.
when banging through the gears, the animation is always a bit on the slow side. not matching shifts in real time.
he also said the lift for shifting is off, needing to lift completely of the throttle.
as we both use to race each other every weekend in shifters, we only had to unbind the trany
never a complete lift, and some times you could just force it into the gear if you were a bit off in your blip.
here the transition between the time you need to lift, or the amount, is a bit much.  the shift help makes it much more realistic.
but then you do not need to lift... maybe somewhere in between the 2. 

PiBoSo

Quote from: Slimjim on November 03, 2011, 05:39:58 AM
we both found that the driver shifting has a bit of lag.
when banging through the gears, the animation is always a bit on the slow side. not matching shifts in real time.

The shifting animation is and always will be late, because when you push / pull the lever the virtual driver still has to detach the hand from the steering wheel and reach for the lever and move it.
But the shifting physics is immediately calculated, of course, so physics and graphics are off-sync.

ENNKT

add hopping and vibration in FFB when turning in  curves would be more realistic

Slimjim

some very grippy tracks will make your kart hop very bad....lol
that is when you make the chassis and axle as stiff as you can get it, and just slide through the corners..
on a soft set up chassis or soft axle, it will bind it up, then release, bind it up, then release, this is what causes the hops on a sticky track.

Aritz

Quote from: Napalm Candy on December 09, 2010, 09:57:08 PM

- I feel the moment of grip loss and grip recovery are unnatural. When I'm in my kart I'm rectifiying all the time the direction, also I don't turn the wheel more than a few dregrees and I can to do a curve with a touch of steering wheel and then do the curve with the steering wheel on the middle. -> See my onboard video

- The engine, I never see an engine (KZ category) at more than 15.000 RPM. I know that in a national championship a good rate is about 14600RPM with an agresive carburation, but with a normal carburation I change at 13900 RPM, so 16700 RPM it is too much.  Also this engine has very low power at low RPM and very high power at high RPM, so the feeling (in a real kart) it is like a turbo when you pass the 12.000RPM. *

This is a graphic comparision between the TM K9c and the new TM KZ10 engine. Both 125cc. (The KZ10 engine works at higher RPM)

- Slide/drift, to me it is a lot easy to drift my kart than a do a simple slide on your sim.

- The gear change it is too slow compared to a real kart, also in a real kart you can't change if you don't leave off the throttle.

Slow motion video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWllLSBMQgI
On board video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6crsWS874

This was posted time ago, I deleted some of the already fixed physics problems, but those which are repeated here should be fixed too :) They are the hardest but they are very important. Thx to NapalmCandy for his original post ;)

Aritz

November 07, 2011, 03:34:26 PM #9 Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:17:38 PM by Aritz
One of the most important fixes that KRP needs in my opinion, is the most hardest to do... Don't you think KRP's tyre model is quite extreme? Once the tyre looses the grip, is very difficult to control the kart. I don't know how the physics of the tyre works in a game, not at all, but it feels like a 2 stroke engine torque curve:

I would like that "tyre grip level curve" more like a diesel engine:

With such grip level curve, we will be able to be more agressive driving, with no fear to drift a little in turns like we do in our karts :)

Napalm's slowmotion video shows with no doubt how easy is to do drift with control, is very difficult to spin out!

EVO

Aritz i think it is the iniertia like Slimjim was saying.   The tire realism is pretty good when the pressures are watched carefully.  You can do 3 warm up laps plus 7-10 fast laps before they begin to drop off.
I think the lack of recovery control is from the Inertia set too high like Slimjim mentioned. 
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

PiBoSo

Rotational inertia is indeed wrong. It will be fixed in Beta5 release.

Tonyb24

For the animation you could have the hand off the steering when rpms are close to right and move the lever when commanded.

Hansen24

Quote from: Tonyb24 on December 31, 2011, 09:41:55 PM
For the animation you could have the hand off the steering when rpms are close to right and move the lever when commanded.
+1
Driver for G.P Racing denmark
KZ2

Racehard

Who cares if the animation is a little delayed.