• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:54:36 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Do you want AI?

Started by laraarsa, November 30, 2011, 02:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poll: Do you want AI?

Yes
29 (82.9%)
No
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Frank Hermann

December 13, 2011, 03:37:28 PM #15 Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:39:55 PM by Frank Hermann
web-based server browser! :)

Schwoni

Netcode is most importank i think.

Racehard

rogenator

Be Kind To Your Web Footed Friends

Bruno Saboia

This question is almost irrelevant, in the way that it was written. "Do you want AI?" Yes, I want.  But that is the same thing of asking if I want 1 billion dollars.

Of course, everybody wishes AI, but it is not free. There is a lot of other features that are far more important. Netcode is top 1. If you connect to LFS servers anytime in the day, there is ALWAYS someone to race against, and that is because they have a proper netcode. The simracers I know don't mind to race online against other people, provided that the netcode is good enough. That is not true in KRP. Besides the netcode being still premature, there is lots of other online problems, like:

* ODE crash
* Significant frame drop on on-line races with more than 3 karts
* Stuttering, which renders good times practically impossible to achieve

If those problems were fixed, I assure you that the servers of KRP would have more people connected. I really like the game, but the online experience is very premature.

So, if is to choose, please fix netcode!
"Racing, competing, is in my blood. Is part of me, part of my life".

-Ayrton Senna

d3f70n3s

JamieP

If the netcode is fixed, I believe a lot more people would be online and thus remove the need for AI but how about a mid-way point. How hard is it to implement a ghost of the best laptimes. If these files can also be shared, it would help the newer people with racing lines, etc and have a bunny to chase to get the laptimes down.

Just a thought

Sam

wat is AI it mite be this but if not u should hav races with computers aswell as online my online stuffs up so easy,medium,hard and pro would be great but if to hard not in beta 5 maybe beta 6 or the krp the finished game

Falling for kk like

Cris_Ace

Quote from: PiBoSo on December 13, 2011, 01:15:08 PM
Please note that a good AI would take a long time to be integrated.
It must be fast, but also make human-like mistakes. It must be aware of the other karts on track and overtake them when possible.
Last but not least, it must know about the different event sessions and change behavior accordingly.
To make things more complex, the physics simulation is too computationally complex to have a full field of karts, so a dedicated, simplified physics model for AI would have to be coded.
This task would take several months to be completed; months that could be ( better? ) used to:
- improve netcode a lot
- add a web-based servers browser
- complete the linux port
- improve rendering with post-processing effects
and much more...
If you would be so nice to add a "meeting point" or a log-in chat while waiting for race in your KRP ,I'm sure that some servers won't be so empty anymore and we could be easily skip the AI;)