• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:28:29 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Converting from rfactor

Started by Marco Dakic, December 11, 2010, 06:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What you think about rFactor tracks convert in KRP

Its a great idea
1 (100%)
I think its a bad idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: December 18, 2010, 06:56:17 PM

Marco Dakic

I has a question is anybody here who knows how to convert tracks from rfactor to KRP ???

Maybe it will be great to driver, kerpen or much other good tracks.

Greetings Marco Dakic
3D Modeling :D

Napalm Candy

If anyone create a tool to convert tracks from rFactor format, the tracks can be create with BTB (bobs track builder), if that was possible, the new tracks will multiply in a few weeks

OS-Chris

It can be done, it seems you just need third-party 3D modelling software like 3D Studio Max or Blender. Import, modify according to the following rough guide. Save & then import into PiBoSo's software, add centreline & pit bays (and whatever else), then export to KRP format. I'm still learning the process myself and once I'm clearer on the process, I'll either do a separate guide or help PiBoSo finish his guide ;)

http://tools.piboso.com/index.php/Track_Tools

vizzz

Hello!

Here is my way of converting rFactor tracks to KRP:
1. First of all I need to import track to 3dsmax. I use script attached to this post. Also Gmotor2 plugin should be installed in 3dsmax.
2. After import I've got scene with all objects and materials.
3. In scene there is Multimaterial with all scene submaterials. Replace all submaterials from Gmotor2 materials to Standart materials, replace all textures with the same textures in TGA format.
4. Properly rename objects in scene to KRP requirements.
5. Export scene in 2 files - MAP and Collision. Use KRP Tracktools.
6. Open collision file (TRP) in Tracked, make centerline, merge it to track, save TRP file. Also make pits, grid, splits, start-finish, speedtrap using Race Control. Add cameras to track.
7. Then I copy existed track to new track folder, rename files, put new files - MAP, TRP, RDF, TSC - in folder.
8. Right now track is ready.

It's very common description how to add tracks. You need strong 3dsmax knowledge and understand how to use KRP tracktools.
Don't forget to check this manual (especially Track Creation Rules and How to make centerline):  http://tools.piboso.com/index.php/Track_Tools

Aritz

THX! I will start the conversion today!

OS-Chris

Thanks vizzz, I have a couple of questions though ?

1. How do you do rain reflections  & tyre-mark overlays ?
2. How do you handle the 3 different skyboxes for KRP ?
3. Any tips or tricks with used TrackEd (i.e. setting centerline, pit & grid positions, etc.) ?

vizzz

Quote from: OS-Chris on December 19, 2010, 11:51:48 AM
Thanks vizzz, I have a couple of questions though ?

1. How do you do rain reflections  & tyre-mark overlays ?
2. How do you handle the 3 different skyboxes for KRP ?
3. Any tips or tricks with used TrackEd (i.e. setting centerline, pit & grid positions, etc.) ?

1. I didn't add these features right now. On previous version of RusRing I added rain reflections. But now I forget how to make it...  Let's ask piboso to describe adding of both features...
2. I use basic skyboxes from Lonato track. So I removed rFactor files for skybox and background.
3. Tracked - for centerline I just start with strait line. then move it to my track and orient it. then add segments. I use Add curve segments.  For grid, pits and etc  I use race control. It shows everything just on centerline and track so you can see where to place each item.

OS-Chris

From PiBoSo PM:
Vertex alpha blending is not supported, but you can use alpha channel of second texture for blending.

From WIKI:
For tyre marks, a second texture can be defined using Opacity channel and a secondary UV mapping. Textures with alpha channel will be drawn with alpha blending, while ones without alpha channel will be drawn with multiply blending.
For rain puddles (track reflections) a third texture can be set in the Glossiness or Specular Level channel, and a secondary UV mapping. The alpha channel is used to define puddles on wet surfaces (asphalt and concrete).

I haven't gotten this far in my first conversion but I'm not understanding it all ATM (how do I apply the secondary UV mapping) ?

I had a look at the Lonato files but couldn't figure out how to use it's skybox (get it into 3DSM) so I ended up creating my own

Sounds easy enough

Thanks vizzz ;)

mopar93

Can the same job be done using Blender rather than 3dsmax?

Not very many people can afford $3500+ USD for 3dsmax.

Did you guys really spend that much money to get 3dsmax?

If 3dsmax was $100, I would get it. But I can't see spending that much money on software. I don't care how good it is.

-Maurice

OS-Chris

Add your support for a blender exporter here

3D Studio Max isn't always that expensive, it depends on your situation and how you plan on using it
http://www.educationsoftware.com.au/product.php?id=286

Chris Owens

What version of 3ds Max does everybody use?  I've tried 2010 but the plugin posted here didn't work.

vizzz

Quote from: Chris Owens on December 20, 2010, 07:02:48 PM
What version of 3ds Max does everybody use?  I've tried 2010 but the plugin posted here didn't work.

I use 3dsmax 8.  I use it since 2007 when I started to make tracks for rFactor.

Chris Owens

I've got the track part converted.  I'm not sure as to how the textures work.  When I open the exported file up in Track Editor, none of the textures load. 

vizzz

Quote from: Chris Owens on December 20, 2010, 09:19:49 PM
I've got the track part converted.  I'm not sure as to how the textures work.  When I open the exported file up in Track Editor, none of the textures load.

You should place both MAP and TRP files in the same folder and then open TRP file in TrackEd.
If you use MapView you should see textures in MAP file. If you don't see them so something wrong with materials/textures...