• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Anyone with experience converting TAG to directdrive

Started by evo1087, January 16, 2012, 08:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVO

I have a Sonik tx125 its a electronic start.  Recently Maxter bought out sonik and they no longer make parts for my engine. SO  i want to take off the clutch since i wont be able to buy more and put a direct drive,  remove the electronic starter, and make a 125cc ICA lol    34hp 0 parasitic loss from the clutch, all power!!
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

LooseEqualsFast

I haven't done it, but I may have to. Can you weld the clutch in some way. That might be the easiest route, unless you can find a drive sprocket for the crank taper.
KZ: WildKart Warrior | TM K9B | Hoosier Tires
Formula A: Tony//Kart Extreme | Vortex VR-98

EVO

I got it all figured out already.  Bascially I begging maxter for engineering drawings of the crank arm, with the taper, threads and all then im having it CNC machined.  cant wait.  Hopefully they cooperate.  The designer of the Sonik who went to work for Maxter should be excited too dont you think?  if it doesnt work i will do my best to revese engineer crank arm measuring with high precision calipers etc.  Do you know the tolerance of a direct drive sprocket. like how snug it should fit? 

LooseEqualsFast

The tapers on the direct motors we close enough that you wouldnt need a key to drive it. Just pop the sprocket on and tighten the nut using a piston stop, or some rope in the plughole if you are cheap. Get it close then use grinding paste for the final touch.
Let me know if/when you get those schematics for the clutch, if I find out anything thats interchangeable or whatnot ill let you know.
This motor was supposedly really good, or at least really fast.

EVO

fast but high maintenance. ;)

EVO

here you see the starter gear  tool my father and i had to fabricate since parts are no longer available

It weighed in at 28 lbs or 11kg 
All the electronic start components, battery and clutch parts weighed 14 lbs or 6 kg.
A significant weight savings. 

Now I need to buy a 9Tooth 5 degree taper reverse direct drive sproket and I am pretty much good to go. 

I think I'll add a larger radiator while Im at it.  She always used to ride a little hot.

LooseEqualsFast

March 02, 2012, 08:04:39 PM #6 Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:11:09 PM by LooseEqualsFast
So did you get this setup for direct drive yet? Did you hear back from the designer at all? Got mine a couple of weeks ago, pretty sure the ignition is toast as it wont start and I've isolate everything else. Haven't looked at anything on the clutch side yet so I don't know what taper is on there.
What was the starter gear tool your dad made for? I just removed the screws in the ignition rotor and pulled the gear out with my fingers. Hoping to convert my one to alky, might even punch it out to 135cc :D

EVO

LooseEqualsFast

EVO

how much you get it for less than 600? also what is a alky?  the tool i used you can see in the top picture.

I also sanded the paint off the side cover to save a few miligrams lol.

SONIK made a bunch of ICA direct drive engines
http://www.e-karting.net/doc/moteur.php?p=19

Look at this insanity

all to get the CG a little lower

EVO

You are in Ireland so you can get this easy and cheap.... Let me know if it fits then i buy it

LW21 118cc LAMELLE

I am told it has a 5 degree taper but i am not sure 100% sure

http://www.racekart.co.uk/direct-drive-engine-sprocket

https://www.google.com/search?q=sonik+direct+dirve&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=x9RST_m2Ncb40gHbuIH3DQ&biw=1311&bih=836&sei=ydRST-6gOcfA0AHMrJC7DQ#um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-Address&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=sonik+direct+drive+sprocket&oq=sonik+direct+drive+sprocket&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=7061l7200l0l7391l2l2l0l0l0l0l40l78l2l2l0&gs_l=img.3...7061l7200l0l7391l2l2l0l0l0l0l40l78l2l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=5cf9359744fce9eb&biw=1311&bih=836

LooseEqualsFast

I'm in MN ;) Got a good deal on it, ignition is toast so I have the PVL from my FA on it right now. Broke my finger starting the damn thing up by hand.

EVO

Finally finished the conversion. I thought I shold post some tips if anyone else planned to do this to their engines.I used calipers to precisely measure the drive crank taper.  I found Tal-Ko Racing that makes direct drive parts for the TKM BT82 engines which is a 99% match the taper on the Sonik TX125 engine. They are in Great Britain so I had to pay $30USD in shipping, but I ordered tools and spare sprocket too.   Here is the link to the videos sorry in advance about the cameraman skills and the audio is a little off. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xt7PVgqllRqWtYImQ5EbfbytJaSA5Qg1?usp=sharing