• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Will pay to have tracks built - looking for cost and info

Started by Duc998, July 15, 2019, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duc998

I am looking to have a couple of US tracks built.  For starters, Road America Motorplex kart track in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, Mid-State Kart Club in Springfield Illinois and Badger Kart club track in Dousman Wisconsin.   

A couple of questions.  How are the tracks built in KRP?  I am trying to find out how realistic are the tracks.  All of the tracks I have driven on KRP are European and I have not driven in real life so I cannot compare.  I know games like iRacing the tracks are meticulously laser scanned in.  So they are very similar to the actual surface types, elevations and camber.  Are the tracks in KRP estimates built off of Google maps?  Just trying to understand before I spend money to have someone build some tracks.  Are some tracks built better than others?

Looking fr some guidance.  Thank you

Marc

LXS77

Hi Marc,

I can see people are not that eager to reply, so allow me to try  :)

Please note, however, I'm not a "professional" track builder (so far I've only done 3 projects for personal training purposes) and seasoned modellers can have a totally different opinion.

To answer some of your questions, basically, the more data you can obtain about a track the more realistic it will be. The data is mainly compiled from official track specifications, Google Maps (or, better, Google Earth), photos and footages taken on the track.

Normally, things like length, min/max track width are quite realistic as these figures are usually stated in the official track specs. However, things like elevation, camber and "bumpiness" are more difficult to evaluate and they are often based on a subjective perception. For instance, one can't rely on elevation values provided by Google Earth or GPSVisualizer as they are so inaccurate for a relatively small area of the track. However, it's not a huge problem to reproduce these features if you obtain correct numbers.

Of course, laser scanning sounds great for this purpose, but it's still quite expensive. iRacing, being a multi-million dollar business, can surely afford it; however, KRP is basically a one-man project. All tracks downloadable from this forum are made by members of the community free of charge.

Still, if you have an opportunity to laser-scan your tracks, it seems like it's technically feasible to create a track for KRP with point cloud data. A frame rate can become an issue, though, as it is recommended to keep an eye on the number of collidable polygons... Well, anyway, it would be SOO great to test drive such a track one day!

By the way, a forum search mentions one project which was supposed to be done using the laser scanned data (Autokomerc in Serbia). That project took about 2 years to complete. For some reason the track was removed from public access soon after its completion  :-\

Well, hope the above helps a bit.

Kind regards,
LXS

Duc998

LXS,

Thank you for the reply.  Great information.  Thank you 

Based on the complete lack of response, I assume this is not going to happen.  I wasn't really looking for a laser scanned track.  It was more of an example to ask how the tracks are built and to what level of detail.  I was just trying to better understand how I should be setting my expectation.  Considering I have no comparison of the current KRP tracks since I have not driven any of them in real life.  I didn't want to pay money only to find out the sim track is nothing at all like the real track. 

If someone is interested, I am looking to pay to have some tracks built.

Marc

LauZzZn

I wrote you a PM with some informations

Quote from: Duc998 on July 18, 2019, 05:13:36 AMLXS,

Thank you for the reply.  Great information.  Thank you 

Based on the complete lack of response, I assume this is not going to happen.  I wasn't really looking for a laser scanned track.  It was more of an example to ask how the tracks are built and to what level of detail.  I was just trying to better understand how I should be setting my expectation.  Considering I have no comparison of the current KRP tracks since I have not driven any of them in real life.  I didn't want to pay money only to find out the sim track is nothing at all like the real track. 

If someone is interested, I am looking to pay to have some tracks built.

Marc
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

LXS77

Hi Marc,

Glad I could help  :)

All the best with your project!

LXS