• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:47:52 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

Daytona Sandown UK Track (WIP)

Started by Ozzy_UK, July 09, 2014, 06:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bootdisk

First post - awesome work - my son goes Karting there and YOU just convinced me to spend £££ on a great simulator, buy Kart-pro and even have a dabble myself.

Great community!

Lee

bootdisk

Just some other feedback for you - don't get me wrong your work is great, but I can tell you that, in standing by the side of the track for weeks at a time, the elevation changes are wrong - from memory there are no real changes in elevation - the track is pretty flat - though there may be a slow, gradual incline from one side of the track - the start finish straight is maybe 10 foot lower than the back straight.

I am going there again on Saturday so I will make a mental check for you.

Great work though!

Lee

Dazza

Hi All. Been a while since this topic was updated. Does anyone know if this Sandown track was completed and released​?
It's the venue I know best and I have a good history of timesheets from both their sodi RT8 karts and DMAX two strokes​.
I'm a newcomer to KRP and figured testing with a track I know well would be a good way of calibrating (and hopefully improving!).  Thanks

Raise

Quote from: Dazza on June 14, 2017, 07:04:50 PM
Hi All. Been a while since this topic was updated. Does anyone know if this Sandown track was completed and released​?
It's the venue I know best and I have a good history of timesheets from both their sodi RT8 karts and DMAX two strokes​.
I'm a newcomer to KRP and figured testing with a track I know well would be a good way of calibrating (and hopefully improving!).  Thanks

This track was never finished to my knowledge, as a general rule if you cant find a download link to it it doesnt exist plain and simple, modders want their content used they dont hide things

Dazza

Bummer. Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'd better start reading the 'How to design a track' section then!

Ozzy_UK

Hi Guys, been away a little while...

I built a house and had another child, however...

my kids are just getting into Karting and have started Racing here at Sandown Daytona, so i am resurecting this project!

i am so sorry i never finished this but i have some help (and much needed motivation now)! hurrah!

i hope to progress this again soon.

Cheers and Sorry!
Oz.

Ozzy_UK

Quote from: bootdisk on April 28, 2015, 10:34:59 AM
Just some other feedback for you - don't get me wrong your work is great, but I can tell you that, in standing by the side of the track for weeks at a time, the elevation changes are wrong - from memory there are no real changes in elevation - the track is pretty flat - though there may be a slow, gradual incline from one side of the track - the start finish straight is maybe 10 foot lower than the back straight.

I am going there again on Saturday so I will make a mental check for you.

Great work though!

Lee

you are quite right, the elevation top (by pit entry) to bottom (entry to turn 1) is less than 18 feet...  i got it horribly wrong initially, i am fixing this!
i have a ton of my own videos from here to use for reference now too :)

Dazza

Quote from: Ozzy_UK on April 27, 2018, 06:10:36 PM
Hi Guys, been away a little while...

I built a house and had another child, however...

my kids are just getting into Karting and have started Racing here at Sandown Daytona, so i am resurecting this project!

i am so sorry i never finished this but i have some help (and much needed motivation now)! hurrah!

i hope to progress this again soon.

Cheers and Sorry!
Oz.

Exciting news!  Congrats on the family and house.

AidenKempf

Quote from: Ozzy_UK on April 30, 2018, 06:03:32 PM
if that means your going to keep working on it im excited, keep the work up, the screen shots look good
They say nothing is impossible but i do nothing every day

Ozzy_UK

Quote from: AidenKempf on May 01, 2018, 03:53:10 AM
if that means your going to keep working on it im excited, keep the work up, the screen shots look good

It Does, remodeling a load of the world assets i created as i want higher poly count given the GPU jump since 2014!
we have a much higher poly version of the track built in the last few days too, along with proper geo'd kurbing...

im excited about this again!

Raise

Quote from: Ozzy_UK on May 01, 2018, 04:40:54 PM
Quote from: AidenKempf on May 01, 2018, 03:53:10 AM

It Does, remodeling a load of the world assets i created as i want higher poly count given the GPU jump since 2014!
we have a much higher poly version of the track built in the last few days too, along with proper geo'd kurbing...

im excited about this again!
You should avoid high poly count with KRP the game doesn't do a great job of using higher end cards especially nvidia cards so you'll likely just hurt performance I'd go for a soft upper limit of 100k polys

Ozzy_UK

Is that 100k per frame or per track?

Birel-Rotax 42

Hi Ozzy. As far as I’m aware, adding polygons that aren’t collidable won’t significantly affect the performance of the track. What will be detrimental to feamerate is if many of those polygons are collidable (TRKASPH, TRKCONC, TRKKERB, etc.)

In experimenting around, I found that you can potentially use 300k polygons for the track (all assets and surfaces) and not see huge performance drops. You have to be smart about how you use the polygons and how large your textures are, but I believe (from comparing track .map file sizes) that the tracks that come with the game are anywhere from 100-150k polygons and they run very well. Let me know if you have any questions!

Ozzy_UK

Cool, useful info.

We are authoring textures between 4K and 16k square as we want to import to RFactor 2 as well, if we need to uses lower poly versions for KRP then we will do.

Main thing is getting a high poly version we can work back from if we have to reduce complexity.

Luckily I have the help of another very talented environmental artist. I may work in the industry but I'm just The IT guy. Fortunately I have a couple of studios of developers I can tap into for assistance too!