• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:10 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

New to karting :Yamaha t100 motor, won't start

Started by Keagan, July 25, 2016, 01:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keagan

Bought the kart for my grandson to step up from the yard kart. He was power sliding it since he was 5🌝
Previous owner said hasn't been started for "several years". 
I've drained the tank, filled with 50/1 mix
Initially disassemble the carb: all parts looked good, cleaned in ultrasonic unit, but still no start.
Bought new kit,, installed all new diaphragms etc, no start
will fire with a shot of premix into the air cleaner
New plug ,  got good rich fire
Compression test reads 60 psi
Plug looks "wet" after attempts to start
I note that the H needle does not have the o ring, washer that shows in manual ( did not come in new kit either)
I'm new to these little 2 strokes, but pretty experienced wrench over all
Any thoughts?   
Located in Southern In.

karterjames22

this is a forum for a karting game not actually karting

EVO

Do you mean the KT100? They sometimes dont fire right up immediately. You have to prime the carb and hand choke a little sometimes. Once it took almost 7 seconds on the handheld starter to get it going.  Also maybe your ignition system  is bad/poor timing?
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website

Taddzy

Quote from: Keagan on July 25, 2016, 01:17:43 AM
Bought the kart for my grandson to step up from the yard kart. He was power sliding it since he was 5🌝
Previous owner said hasn't been started for "several years". 
I've drained the tank, filled with 50/1 mix
Initially disassemble the carb: all parts looked good, cleaned in ultrasonic unit, but still no start.
Bought new kit,, installed all new diaphragms etc, no start
will fire with a shot of premix into the air cleaner
New plug ,  got good rich fire
Compression test reads 60 psi
Plug looks "wet" after attempts to start
I note that the H needle does not have the o ring, washer that shows in manual ( did not come in new kit either)
I'm new to these little 2 strokes, but pretty experienced wrench over all
Any thoughts?   
Located in Southern In.

if you say the plug looks wet you could be bring to much fuel through the carb causing the engine to flood!! look up yamaha kt100 carb settings and then adjust your carb to what is recommended on the top and bottom end jet
also is worth making sure that you are getting a spark from the plug but always remember to put the plug into the cap before cranking the engine as that can cause the coil to fault as i have learnt!!
Senior TKM
TKM Southern Chamionship 2015
Super One Britsh Karting Championship 2016
Super One Britsh Karting Championship 2017

Motorsport Photographer: https://www.facebook.com/MDTPhotography35/

Keagan

I've got good spark. Carb settings are:  H. 1/8 turn out.  Low is 1 full turn, based on Walbro factory rebuild instructions

EVO

You can do a simple spark test by turning if over with the plug out but connected and held against the fins of the head.  Hold it on the rubber end.  In low light you should see sparks.  I be done this test on, karts, pitbikes,and dirt bikes.  If you have spark than it must be the timing.
To download all my dashes, airboxes, tracks, and more
click here or see my personal website