• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:01:52 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Question About Reflection, Specular, Normal maps on Templates

Started by Birel-Rotax 42, July 11, 2015, 06:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birel-Rotax 42

Hi, everyone. This is quite a difficult situation to explain but in simplest terms, I am making paints and the steering wheels have chrome/reflection+specular+normal mappings that aren't the same as the real counterparts. Luckily, I have talked to PiBoSo about using the Reflection maps for paints. However, I don't know how to do normal mappings. I understand that on all the templates, PiBoSo has included the layer sets for specular, normal, and reflection for when you save into .tga format. Even though specular and reflection modifications are working fine using the alpha channels, the normal mapping has been a dead-end for me because I don't know how to use it. PiBoSo, if you could explain how the normal map works with PaintEd, and maybe even show an example, I would really appreciate it. Currently on the steering wheels, the reflection and specular is worked out, but the normal map (I would assume) causes the texture on the wheel to seem as if it has a bump where the textures used to meet. I will provide pictures tomorrow when I get the chance. If anyone else knows, please help me, otherwise, PiBoSo, please help. Thanks!

Birel-Rotax 42

Tr!st@n

FA Kart - IAME X30 Senior

Snappe

Quote from: Birel-Rotax 42 on July 11, 2015, 06:32:53 AM
the texture on the wheel to seem as if it has a bump where the textures used to meet. I will provide pictures tomorrow when I get the chance.

I don't really know what you mean... A picture would be helpful.

Birel-Rotax 42

With reflection/specular mappings done:

I used this for the reflection/specular mappings:

This is the wheel without any modifications to reflection, specular, or normal mappings.

This is what I used for the normal mapping (my attempt, I don't understand much about this...)

My issue is the texture is that of a leather bump/normal mapping when it reflects the light created in game. I am wondering how to make the top of the steering wheel (chrome and all) extend down to the edge of the carbon fiber texture.

If you can, take a look at it and either tell me that I'm doing it wrong or that I'm just crazy for wanting something that isn't possible :)

Birel-Rotax 42