• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:47 AM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Beta 12 Net code improvement ?

Started by LiamHatton, September 07, 2014, 04:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiamHatton

I would love to see the net code be improved for online races, Because it is hard to race close with other drivers if you see the driver juddering around over the kerbs etc...  But I hope beta 12 comes out soon and with a good amount of changes and additions.  :)

3rd.Rail

Welllll B 12 is now history and we're cruising to the tune of B 13.  My question is who amongst us knows exactly what where & how this games netcode is deficient?  Please do not mention a comparison to other games!  I am looking for script advice strictly.  Perhaps if we could isolate that line or two in the code we could approach the game author with where to improve the code directly. 

3rd.Rail

This bunch worried about legalities?  Thats a laugh!

dibu

If you don't care so much about legalities, we've one forum member here who can surely help you - his name is PiBoSo.

Better drive some laps and relax. ;)

-A game publisher will never disclose his (net)code because it would open all doors for cheating.
-Of course the complete network traffic between the servers and the clients is encrypted. Have fun finding the coding.
-Do you want to disassemble and start reverse engineering the game? It would be easier to write a new sim.

And yes, the netcode of all PiBoSo games needs to be fixed finally but that's PiBoSo's task. We can only offer our help for running tests or collecting logs.   

Tr!st@n

Quote from: dibu on April 15, 2015, 08:02:05 PM
If you don't care so much about legalities, we've one forum member here who can surely help you - his name is PiBoSo.

Better drive some laps and relax. ;)

-A game publisher will never disclose his (net)code because it would open all doors for cheating.
-Of course the complete network traffic between the servers and the clients is encrypted. Have fun finding the coding.
-Do you want to disassemble and start reverse engineering the game? It would be easier to write a new sim.

And yes, the netcode of all PiBoSo games needs to be fixed finally but that's PiBoSo's task. We can only offer our help for running tests or collecting logs.
+100
FA Kart - IAME X30 Senior

3rd.Rail

Way back when, a mystical software program was released.  It was a racing simulation program, something of the first of its kind.  It was a fantasy come true.  Its only drawback was it build for stand alone play.  No TCP/IP or IPX  capability at all.  Again this about 15 - 18 years ago.  In fact if memory serves me it was built just before the pentium explosion so it ran on w98.  Today that very same game is capable of TCP/IP connected races with fields over 8 players with or without dedicated server.  It has well over 300 tracks probably about 500.  Getting my drift yet?  Think internet of things guy.  Today software is modular.  You buckle down and do some laps.  I been around and around for a long time.

HornetMaX

Quote from: 3rd.Rail on April 16, 2015, 02:26:56 AM
Think internet of things guy.  Today software is modular.
I can hear the facepalm gifs coming shortly ... :)

MaX.
Two wheels, more than enough.

PiBoSo

Quote from: 3rd.Rail on April 16, 2015, 02:26:56 AM
Way back when, a mystical software program was released.  It was a racing simulation program, something of the first of its kind.  It was a fantasy come true.  Its only drawback was it build for stand alone play.  No TCP/IP or IPX  capability at all.  Again this about 15 - 18 years ago.  In fact if memory serves me it was built just before the pentium explosion so it ran on w98.  Today that very same game is capable of TCP/IP connected races with fields over 8 players with or without dedicated server.  It has well over 300 tracks probably about 500.  Getting my drift yet?  Think internet of things guy.  Today software is modular.  You buckle down and do some laps.  I been around and around for a long time.

Xander Clements

I am far from a coding expert, but I can tell you directly from league races on a dedicated server within 500 miles of nearly every driver that the netcode needs significant updates, some easier than others.

1) Being able to see more than 12 karts at a time on track.
Explanation: Even if you max out your "connection" settings in-game from 0 to 2, the absolute maximum karts that the game will show at a time is 12. I think this is personally silly, and not really needed. Other sims may allow you to turn down the number of vehicles that you can see, but they do not limit you to such a low number as a maximum. I can't imagine this would be all too elaborate coding, and it is a simple fix to give us some bigger grids and make the game look better in our league.

2) Simply boosting the connection itself, and therefore moving down on lag
Explanation: Now I understand that I will get the death penalty for mentioning other games, but this is where Kart Racing Pro is behind on. The sim itself has very detailed chassis, and the moddability makes it possible for new tracks and engines to be added constantly. As solely an offline sim, the market is only so large to karters. PiBoSo should consider bumping up netcode in the priorities for updates and bug fixes as it will bring in a lot more revenue than a minor radiator change or an updated bodywork.

3) Bodywork needs to flex
Explanation: This is not so much netcode, but it relates. In real life, many run the rear bumpers and sidepods loose, which is an option in the game. However, it solely adjusts handling, and does not make them actually loose. In real life these things flex when you get hit in the side or from the rear; they don't simply fall off. If you get hit in the side, it is also much harder in real life to bend a tie rod to knock out the toe - more than likely that happens from hitting something head on, which is also how you normally bend a chassis.

Birel-Rotax 42

Quote from: DRkarter97 on April 16, 2015, 04:22:57 PM
I've also never seen the side pods fall off the bars, even in a side to side impact it's always the bar that comes off with pod still attached. Plus the body work progresses to falling off way to quickly, you can take a small bump and scratch it up then take the same hit again a second later and the pod sits on the track for the rest of the session. And on a very minor note it's rather odd that the body work only bends on one side on the front even though you can get hit in the other side. Plus the ferring should be able to be knocked off
You may/may not have seen real karting races

Tr!st@n

Quote from: Birel-Rotax 42 on April 16, 2015, 11:44:53 PM
Quote from: DRkarter97 on April 16, 2015, 04:22:57 PM
I've also never seen the side pods fall off the bars, even in a side to side impact it's always the bar that comes off with pod still attached. Plus the body work progresses to falling off way to quickly, you can take a small bump and scratch it up then take the same hit again a second later and the pod sits on the track for the rest of the session. And on a very minor note it's rather odd that the body work only bends on one side on the front even though you can get hit in the other side. Plus the ferring should be able to be knocked off
You may/may not have seen real karting races
No dude, dont say that. He just saud "I've never seen that". And i guess you know that it nearly never happens and Ian is basically right.

Birel-Rotax 42

The picture indicates otherwise. If you are really getting your panties in a wad over this why don't you change the collision/impact requirements. FFS the entire file system is open for users to modify. My opinion still stands that PiBoSo implemented it in the correct fashion and that if th community wants to change it then go out and "fix" it if it's that big of a deal.

Tr!st@n

April 17, 2015, 03:14:49 PM #12 Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:17:12 PM by Tr!st@n
Quote from: Birel-Rotax 42 on April 17, 2015, 02:01:23 PM
The picture indicates otherwise. If you are really getting your panties in a wad over this why don't you change the collision/impact requirements. FFS the entire file system is open for users to modify. My opinion still stands that PiBoSo implemented it in the correct fashion and that if th community wants to change it then go out and "fix" it if it's that big of a deal.
I didn't say that it's a big deal, i just think that Ian is right with what he's saying. It is a fact that the thing on the picture nearly never happens. You, as a racer, should know that the sidepods rather bend or fall of with the main bars than only the plastic itself. I'm sorry that im discussing this in the wrong thread

Birel-Rotax 42

As a racer, I have rarely seen people's sidepods bend, let alone fall off. However, the race that I was at (Rotax Challenge of the Americas, Rounds 5/6) saw 1 incident where a sidepod bar was bent, and a further 1 where the sidepod fell off (as shown in the picture, from the event)

The mounting bars don't bend very easily. Especially with the thin plastic that the manufacturers have opted to go for with the new bodywork, we have seen several times where the Freeline/OTK sidepods have completely 1) stripped the mounting bolt 2) been hit and the physical nut inside of the pod falls out as well as the bolt.

tebbers14

Quote from: Birel-Rotax 42 on April 17, 2015, 04:09:16 PM
As a racer, I have rarely seen people's sidepods bend, let alone fall off. However, the race that I was at (Rotax Challenge of the Americas, Rounds 5/6) saw 1 incident where a sidepod bar was bent, and a further 1 where the sidepod fell off (as shown in the picture, from the event)

The mounting bars don't bend very easily. Especially with the thin plastic that the manufacturers have opted to go for with the new bodywork, we have seen several times where the Freeline/OTK sidepods have completely 1) stripped the mounting bolt 2) been hit and the physical nut inside of the pod falls out as well as the bolt.

+1