• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:36 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

Track Creation 3ds MAX: How to do LOFT (the track)

Started by Aritz, July 08, 2013, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aritz

Follow the images, I think is pretty clear. The tip is to choose a ID for each texture, then you have the map correct and the tarmac, grass or the kerbs will appear longitudinally mapped. It is a nightmare if it is not done this way  8)

First of all, put your track view in the viewport:

Draw the vertex and convert them to brezier, not brezier corner:

Draw the track properly, take your time (I didn't here obviously):

Make the track shape or shapes. You can make different shapes if the track has different track sections. This is a complex part for me, because we have to deal with kerbs, concrete areas after the kerb or simply grass, different types of kerb, not kerbs, etc. I made here the most simple shape possible. Then select each segment and set 1 ID for the grass, 2 ID for left kerb, 3 for right kerb, 4 for asphalt, 5 white lines and everything else.

In the map editor, select multy sub object and select grass for the ID1, left kerb ID2, etc.

Go to LOFT with the track selected and get SHAPE (or shapes)

My shape is too big, so the track is too wide. No problem: Select SCALE and make it narrower, don't forget to move the TWO points simultaneously using CTRL to select both of them. This is very useful because you can put more point along this line and you would make narrow parts, wider ones, etc (see next screenshots below)

You can edit the track heights or fix curves selecting again the track spline and moving its vertex:

You can also edit the shape, mine has the white lines and the kerbs too wide. I should use this way to narrow the whole track  :P :

There are more things yet: Cambers are very easy to do using the TWIST deformator. Create points before the curve, during it and after the curve. You will need to use the viewport for this. 0 is the starting line (0% of the track) and 100 (100%) will be again the finish line, so think in %. Then edit the center point or points, so you have a plain straight, then the camber starts from 0 to X and where the curve is over, the camber will be 0 again:

Maybe is better if you use breziers instead of corners, test yourself:

Then you have to edit the surface values. Here could be problems, because the scale of the textures has to be the same for all of them... If this is not possible, you will need to detach the wrong mapped section and map again using UWM Map modifier. I've use 0 shape steps, but you can use more for further actions (after the convertion of the track to a editable poly)

Probably are better ways to do this, but this is very easy and this is a tutorial for begginners (what I am) Feel free to add more ways or fixes to my tutorial.

LauZzZn

my problem with lofting is managing the heights, my track gets angles like a nascar oval but i dont want that. so i have to try pulling the bezier points up and down and looks for the track angle and that it fits the startpoint. have you got a idea for that?
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

Aritz

Loool

I forgot to show the final steps; how to do cambers and more stuff... Tomorrow I will finish, now it is late :P

malny

Quote from: LauZzZn on July 08, 2013, 09:51:32 PM
my problem with lofting is managing the heights, my track gets angles like a nascar oval but i dont want that. so i have to try pulling the bezier points up and down and looks for the track angle and that it fits the startpoint. have you got a idea for that?

;) me too, I have that problem, if I try to do a loft of a spline with different heights, 3ds max creates dishes!

I'd like to solve this problem because I have the chance to use a 3D spline created by the GPS of my mycron4 :P

for my next track ;)

Aritz

Quote from: LauZzZn on July 08, 2013, 09:51:32 PM

I don't understand. Follow the tutorial and make a simple track, if the problem appears again, ask. A tip is not to use many points, use as less as you can.

LauZzZn

i make always loft since i make tracks, but like malny, i make the heights but the track isnt really flat anymore
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Aritz

I still dont understand you two... Put images please :-)

LauZzZn

2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

Kartman33

Very nice tutorial !
But how to export to KRP because I havn't 3dsmax 2010 but the 2015 ... ?

LauZzZn

2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

blake_hunt

I have the simple shape on the track map, but how do I change them to brezier so I can edit the curves?  :o
Kartsport FA - Rok/X30 Senior - Mooresville, NC

PROUD KK BETA TESTER

blake_hunt

Quote from: DRkarter97 on June 26, 2015, 02:29:36 AM
Quote from: blake_hunt on June 25, 2015, 09:52:09 PM
I have the simple shape on the track map, but how do I change them to brezier so I can edit the curves?  :o

set it to bezier then draw the line

Thx Mate
Kartsport FA - Rok/X30 Senior - Mooresville, NC

PROUD KK BETA TESTER

LauZzZn

I suggest a different way, makes it easier.
Drop your spline points, so there are straights between the points, close you track, go to vertex mode in editing section and select all vertices. Then right click one vertice and set it to bezier, then rework the track. This makes it more fine and precise
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3