• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:38:36 PM

News:

Kart Racing Pro release13e available! :)

3DS MAX track tutorial

Started by LauZzZn, January 05, 2013, 06:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LauZzZn

no make the grass i show you in another video how to make the pit area
Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

Aritz

Quote from: DjFIL on April 16, 2013, 08:07:29 PM

Quote from: Aritz on April 16, 2013, 09:10:33 AM
It seems that the line is too short anyway, is it correct?
My line for the road cross section?  It is correct at 7.0 meters in width.

That's the information I've confirmed and re-confirmed via Google Maps and/or Google Earth.  Guess it wasn't a very wide track.  I never actually got to drive it.  This track (and the dirt oval beside it) closed almost 15 years ago.  I wanted to try and re-create it.  If I get the basics down to a satisfactory level, I want to contact the property owner and see if I can go and walk the track and take some photos... or what's left of it.  According to the latest (2012) overhead photos (from Google), the dirt track is 100% overgrown... but the asphalt of the karting track appears to still be there.

I meant the track line. You can use "measure" for that (hammer icon, then measure)

DjFIL

Ok.  Thanks LauZzZn.  Look forward to the next videos.  I'll move forward with what I have.

Yup.  665 meters in length.  Got that right.

DjFIL

Again thanks for these tutorials.  If I can make a request of which one is next... is pit lanes and extra parts of road (connections for alternate routes, runoffs, etc.)  That'd be awesome.  :)

DjFIL

New question, directly related to your 2nd tutorial and kerbs.  Sometimes when I do the path deform, it puts the lofted kerb very far away from the selected shape.  Why would this happen?  If I try to move it towards, it doesn't work.  I've had 2 successful kerbs made so far... but for some reason other times it's a complete mess.  Is this heavily reliant on the pivot point (like the original lofting was)?  Or something else I should be checking for?

Thanks.

LauZzZn

send me the file and i try to correct them ;)
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

I deleted my kerb work and started the file again (from my previous save... as a textured, plain, track).  Working ok now.  Now I'm having to do the 180 degree rotation (to have the kerbs poping up, instead of down into the ground)... but that's minor.  I'll let you know if anything else is to occur.

LauZzZn

2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

You the man!  Thanks LauZzZn.  Look forward to getting home and trying this tonight.

malny

April 29, 2013, 02:14:02 AM #39 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:19:22 AM by malny
Quote from: LauZzZn on April 28, 2013, 07:37:02 PM
new videos and files added

good, your video will greatly help the community!
I use a lot the loft ...
for the wire I select the edge of the grass or a polyline, and I do a loft ....
after putting the textures, clone the wire and flip normal to have it visible on both sides ..
then I draw my stakes 3D, and align with spacing tools put them at fixed distances ...

DjFIL

Quote from: malny on April 29, 2013, 02:14:02 AM
good, your video will greatly help the community!
I use a lot the loft ...
for the wire I select the edge of the grass or a polyline, and I do a loft ....
after putting the textures, clone the wire and flip normal to have it visible on both sides ..
then I draw my stakes 3D, and align with spacing tools put them at fixed distances ...

Hmm, that's an interesting technique to use.  I might give that a try and see which is easier for me.

For my concrete wall I just created an upside-down U (3 sides), lofted that along a line, and than used the 'path deform' tool to run it along the edge/line of my choice.  It was tricky after to cap the edges of the lofted line (so it didn't look hollow when viewed from the previously open ends), but I figured it out and that ended up working perfectly.

LauZzZn

you could just have used the box tool ;)
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

shaethompson

Is 3DS Max avaliable on 32-bit? I'm really keen to try out your tutorial because BTB frustrates me.

LauZzZn

2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

shaethompson

Is it possible I could have a link? I went onto the 3DS Max website and it said I could only download in 64-bit