• Welcome to Kart Racing Pro Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:23:23 PM

News:

Please read the FORUM RULES

3DS MAX track tutorial

Started by LauZzZn, January 05, 2013, 06:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LauZzZn

Retired, studied 3D Artist
Professional racing driver
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3
2022 3rd 24h Le Mans LMP2
Teammanager of Dutt Motorsport

DjFIL

Thanks again for these videos.  Really enjoying learning 3DS Max for exactly what I wanted to use it for.

I'm stuck on the loft phase.  I've created my track piece for lofting using points at 0.0, 0.2, 0.4, 6.6, 6.8, 7.0 (for 7m wide track).  When I do the 'loft' the track pieces end up inside of my line, instead of using it as the center line.  How do I resolve this?  It appears I'm using the same settings/technique as you are in the video.  I can't spot the difference.

the line

attempted loft

Thanks.

LauZzZn

i already saw that problem now very often but it never happened to me. maybe just restart the project you arent really far with the track now so its no big problem to do it again.
when this doesnt solve the problem please pm me
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

2nd attempt looked even worse.  Does it matter if I curve the lines?  I just did a quick pass with only straight lines... but it caused a worse result (can't post pic... at work now).  Will PM when home after one more attempt.  Thanks.

LauZzZn

when you only make straight lines it wont work you have to make it "soft
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

DjFIL

Good to know.  I think I had a mix of soft and straight lines on my first attempt.  I'll let you know how it goes.  And if any issues, a PM will be incoming.  Thanks.

BenMagz

You have to move the pivot point in 3DS max to the centre of your line so it lofts around that point.

Google how to find it :)

malny

yes, the pivot is very important for loft, because you choose the point of dragging !
is located in one of those menu on the right of the modifiers ... top right.. click on "affect pivot only" and then with the move

X LauZzZn
If you move the pivot on the section of your kerb you can create them directly on the curve without moving after with pach deform ;)
I will do so the internal kerbs

Aritz

It seems that the line is too short anyway, is it correct?

Aritz

Quote from: malny on April 16, 2013, 01:34:40 AM
If you move the pivot on the section of your kerb you can create them directly on the curve without moving after with pach deform ;)

And the texture is correctly mapped?

maxrod

when you loft a track create the spline in top view then the line you are going to loft off put it in the front view then when you have made the loft you can use the splines on the line in the front view to move the track.

DjFIL

I just did a new project and got up to the track line this morning.  I plan to attempt building the track piece and doing lofting tonight.  Hopefully it will turn out this time and I can start to move forward.  I'll probably post the results tonight.

And I forgot to ask... Does anyone have a basic track texture pack that I can use?

Quote from: Aritz on April 16, 2013, 09:10:33 AM
It seems that the line is too short anyway, is it correct?
My line for the road cross section?  It is correct at 7.0 meters in width.

That's the information I've confirmed and re-confirmed via Google Maps and/or Google Earth.  Guess it wasn't a very wide track.  I never actually got to drive it.  This track (and the dirt oval beside it) closed almost 15 years ago.  I wanted to try and re-create it.  If I get the basics down to a satisfactory level, I want to contact the property owner and see if I can go and walk the track and take some photos... or what's left of it.  According to the latest (2012) overhead photos (from Google), the dirt track is 100% overgrown... but the asphalt of the karting track appears to still be there.

LauZzZn

pm me your email and ill invite you to a dropbox folder with textures you can use
2021 ELMS Champion LMP3

malny

April 16, 2013, 09:15:53 PM #28 Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:06:20 AM by malny
Quote from: Aritz on April 16, 2013, 09:12:41 AM
Quote from: malny on April 16, 2013, 01:34:40 AM

And the texture is correctly mapped?

My process:
-select line
-compound objects -> Loft
-get shape ---> select the section of the curb
-Skin parameters ---> choose the steps as needed, if you need flip normals
-Surface parameters ---> apply mapping--->real-world map size
-now add material
-if you need unwrap UVW

the process may vary a little depending if the section of curb is a line or a close polygon ..

I am a beginner ... always ready to learn ;D

DjFIL

April 17, 2013, 06:27:55 AM #29 Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:47:11 AM by DjFIL
Yay.  Looks like I got it fixed.  I was able to figure out how to adjust the pivot point on the line I was lofting.  Works great.

To me it seems important for me to ask before I move to far ahead....  What about a pit area?  Would it be easier to create the road and tarmac area for that before I start adding in the grass areas in between and outside the track?